Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Earning vip points through retailers

why can’t we earn points even if we buy through retailers? Yes I could’ve bought all the hidden side sets online. Yet I don’t live close to a Lego store but I could drive 10 minutes into town buy every set that came out at our Target? 

Comments

• klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 471
    VIP is a program to entice people to shop at Lego's branded stores. The profit margin for a sale at a Lego Store is much, much higher than that same sale at another retailer, as Lego recieves the full retail value of your purchase (minus thier overhead) versus the wholsale value they'd have recieved from another retailer. Things like the VIP program and GWP promotions are paid for out of this extra profit they make on each sale by cutting out the middle man. 
    drdavewatfordCCCgmonkey76FizyxBaby_YodaM1J0Ekiki180703sid3windr
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,566
    The above, plus abuse of the scheme. It would be easy to purchase, get VIP and return and the retailer wouldn't care as LEGO would be paying out for the VIP points.
    M1J0E
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,392
    edited August 3
    It seems the recent move to the "new and improved" VIP program will entice people to shop elsewhere. I know I will. 
    Oldfangmonkey76560Heliport
    It seems the recent move to the "new and improved" VIP program will entice people to shop elsewhere. I know I will. 
    It's really not that bad. It's literally just one extra step that you can do right there in the store to redeem your points for discounts. It takes two minutes, and the credit is instantly available. The discount ratio (5%) hasn't changed. And now, there are other options available, should you desire them. 

I get that change is always a bit annoying, but at this point people are complaining about nothing. It's not that big of a deal. 
    Baby_YodaRogerKirk
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,431
    If they would of kept the LEGO Store knowing what points you have and being able to use them instantly I think most of us would be happy. Having to redeem points differently for in store on online is just stupid.
    daewoo560Heliportsid3windr
    gmonkey76 said:
    If they would of kept the LEGO Store knowing what points you have and being able to use them instantly I think most of us would be happy. Having to redeem points differently for in store on online is just stupid.
    I'm sure they would have if they could've. I just don't think that kind of synchronicity is even possible though. With the various avenues of redemption possible now, it needs to all filter through a common disbursement point to avoid discrepancies (like, say, spending your points in store and then ordering a reward online before the system registers your purchase. Or, vice versa.). 
    Astrobricks
    I was in a store earlier and asked about cashing in points to buy some items. I wasn't sure much I'd be spending before going or whether I could use them at the same time as a certain discount today. The cashier had already rung up my purchases and I asked. They said they can do nothing to help and that I must do it. But WiFi in store was not working properly, so I'd need to leave the store, find a WiFi signal elsewhere, order vouchers, open them on my phone outside the store then return to the store to pay. 

I ended up not using them this time.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,193
    edited August 4
    klinton said:
    It's really not that bad. It's literally just one extra step that you can do right there in the store to redeem your points for discounts. It takes two minutes, and the credit is instantly available. The discount ratio (5%) hasn't changed. And now, there are other options available, should you desire them. 

I get that change is always a bit annoying, but at this point people are complaining about nothing. It's not that big of a deal. 
    I have to agree with you here - some AFOLs are both entitled and unusually averse to change, as demonstrated with previous discussions over new kid-oriented themes, new Modular Building styles, every time a Star Wars set is rereleased, every time a Star Wars set isn't rereleased... It's easy to forget that two dozen strangers on the Internet don't make an international consensus.

However, the need to 'purchase' coupons online can be much more than 'just one extra step,' such as in @CCC's example above. Sure, the Wi-Fi being down isn't the system's fault, but the system is made much more fragile by relying on it. For some it's easy to just whip out your smartphone and tap a few buttons, but for others who are less fortunate or tech-savvy, it's another obstacle. Plenty of complaints on the new VIP program, and indeed, pretty much everything Lego does, can be attributed to something beyond Lego's influence, but this isn't the case here.

And yes, earning VIP points through retailers would be counter-intuitive and very difficult to manage.
    gmonkey76benbacardimadforLEGOsid3windr
    Even if WiFi is working, that extra 2-3 minutes at the till with customers going online and waiting for the voucher will start to cost lego in terms of wasted staff time.
    gmonkey76Baby_Yodadougts
    Baby_Yoda said:
    klinton said:

I have to agree with you here - some AFOLs are both entitled and unusually averse to change, as demonstrated with previous discussions over new kid-oriented themes, new Modular Building styles, every time a Star Wars set is rereleased, every time a Star Wars set isn't rereleased... It's easy to forget that two dozen strangers on the Internet don't make an international consensus.

However, the need to 'purchase' coupons online can be much more than 'just one extra step,' such as in @CCC's example above. Sure, the Wi-Fi being down isn't the system's fault, but the system is made much more fragile by relying on it. For some it's easy to just whip out your smartphone and tap a few buttons, but for others who are less fortunate or tech-savvy, it's another obstacle. Plenty of complaints on the new VIP program, and indeed, pretty much everything Lego does, can be attributed to something beyond Lego's influence, but this isn't the case here.

And yes, earning VIP points through retailers would be counter-intuitive and very difficult to manage.
    So. I'm entitled? Is that it? What is under their influence is getting my account working properly but they can't seem to do that. I'm entitled because I expect my account to be working properly? It's only nothing because isn't happening to you but then again, some people worship anything Lego does. I guess people can do that when they are easily led automatons.

Over the top? Sure, but I'm entitled. 

dougts
  • Ian_SIan_S UKMember Posts: 55

I've yet to hear a "consumer benefit" justification for removing the VIP points notification at POS and on the receipt, has LEGO an official position on this?  I was discussing this new system with a store manager yesterday and they made vague mention of "data protection" for this.  I don't buy that, though I'm surprised LEGO haven't needed to make some notification to EU users that a 3rd party are now processing some data, did I miss that in new T&C's?

I think a "relatively" simple fix is available to LEGO.  As they clearly have the ability to integrate with their POS (Till) system as the previous VIP scheme did and can evidently integrate the 3rd party system running the new VIP scheme into their website I see no reason they couldn't make similar integrations with their POS system. 

Given time to make the software changes required, the POS system could both provide a points statement and offer the option to redeem "coupons" by offering the member of staff the option to generate then at the time of purchase.

As a long time coder (amongst other things) I accept isn't necessarily a simple or quick fix but I don't believe it's overly complicated either and certainly possible.  It seems more a sales choice than a technical one and possibly  the time required to make the necessary integrations were seen as unacceptable against the timetable for the new VIP scheme to launch (but only LEGO internally know that).

gmonkey76
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,193
    Bosstone100 said:
    So. I'm entitled? Is that it? What is under their influence is getting my account working properly but they can't seem to do that. I'm entitled because I expect my account to be working properly? It's only nothing because isn't happening to you but then again, some people worship anything Lego does. I guess people can do that when they are easily led automatons.

Did you read my post? To summarise: I began by saying yes, people on the Internet like to complain about nothing and think they know everything, but that it's not the case here, because there are legitimate issues with the new program that don't affect everyone. I don't know who you are, and I'm sure you're perfectly justified in your dissatisfaction with the system. But I didn't quote, @ or mention you at all. There's no need to be so rude.
    Fizyxstlux
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 308
    It's not entitled to not like the new scheme which is less user friendly than the previous.
    gmonkey76dougts
    edited August 5
    daewoo said:
    It's not entitled to not like the new scheme which is less user friendly than the previous.
    Dude, he never said it was. He's agreeing with you in this discussion. His entire point was that while entitlement does exist in online fora, pointing out issues with the new VIP system is decidedly not an example of that. 

How or why are you being offended by someone agreeing with you? 
    Baby_Yoda
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Bosstone100 said:

Did you read my post? To summarise: I began by saying yes, people on the Internet like to complain about nothing and think they know everything, but that it's not the case here, because there are legitimate issues with the new program that don't affect everyone. I don't know who you are, and I'm sure you're perfectly justified in your dissatisfaction with the system. But I didn't quote, @ or mention you at all. There's no need to be so rude.
    My apologies. I stand corrected.
    Baby_Yoda
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,431
    CCC said:
    Even if WiFi is working, that extra 2-3 minutes at the till with customers going online and waiting for the voucher will start to cost lego in terms of wasted staff time.
    Has anyone actually tried this yet? Was looking at the FAQ, because I was planing on using points in September. The terms said it could take 24 hrs. for the rewards to show up in my email. I like to go into the store and see what they have before I decide what to buy. In this system it seems like you need the voucher for x amount of money, and then go and pick out that amount in sets. I liked when I could just pick stuff up, and if I had the points then use them.
    gmonkey76 said:
    Has anyone actually tried this yet? Was looking at the FAQ, because I was planing on using points in September. The terms said it could take 24 hrs. for the rewards to show up in my email. I like to go into the store and see what they have before I decide what to buy. In this system it seems like you need the voucher for x amount of money, and then go and pick out that amount in sets. I liked when I could just pick stuff up, and if I had the points then use them.
    Not at the register (that just seems asinine), but while in the store selecting my purchases.

You don't actually need to open the email to recieve the credit. It's more like a receipt of the transaction. The credit is applied when you complete the selection on the site, regardless of whether you look at the email or not. It just shows up when the scan your card at the register, with no further action required of you.

It could be different for redeeming for gifts, but for straight up discounts on purchases it's just a matter of selecting the amount you want, confirming your selection, and that's it. Your credit is ready. 
    gmonkey76
    klinton said:
    daewoo said:
    Dude, he never said it was. He's agreeing with you in this discussion. His entire point was that while entitlement does exist in online fora, pointing out issues with the new VIP system is decidedly not an example of that. 

How or why are you being offended by someone agreeing with you? 
    Why are you projecting?  I simply stated a fact.
    daewoo said:
    Well, no. You stated an opinion
    klinton said:
    daewoo said:
    Well, no. You stated an opinion
    Believe what you will.  You projected onto me, so why?
  • miamibearmiamibear OhioMember Posts: 13
    I try to sign into the new Rewards Center and the page just reloads, so I'm unable to access my points. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I emailed Lego support on August 2nd and I have not heard back from them.
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 429
    ^ yes.  But whether or not the fix might work for you depends on what you’re using.  I’m on an iPad. & thanks to another member here I found out for it to work you have to be in private mode on safari. 
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 488
    klinton said:

For some, it is that bad and a big deal. I don't have a phone that can do this, I don't have internet at home, only at work where there isn't a printer.

At the moment I don't understand how I can use my VIP points in the LEGO shop at all.
    sonatine01
    Maybe I should ask LEGO if I can use my VIP points to get a smartphone so I can use my VIP points!
    560HeliportIan_S
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 692
    For some, it is that bad and a big deal. I don't have a phone that can do this, I don't have internet at home, only at work where there isn't a printer.

At the moment I don't understand how I can use my VIP points in the LEGO shop at all.
    As far as I can tell, you don't actually have to print a physical voucher or even show it on your phone.  It seems it's loaded to the VIP card when you spend the points online so printer not essential.

Of course, given that the rest of LEGOs IT offerings don't work very well, that might not either!

Also, get out of the dark ages man and get some internet at home; and stop reading this and get back to work ;)
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
    edited August 8
    @dmcc0 LOL, fair enough! In my defense I am self-employed so I'm only wasting my own time!
    I just read the article on the main page where it confirmed what you are saying about the shop voucher. Only problem.... I don't have a physical card! I lost it a few years ago. I have my VIP number written on the back of a Huw Brickset business card that I keep in my wallet. I never bothered to get a replacement card. I'll enquire if that'll still work going forward or see about getting a replacement the next time I'm in the store.
    I retract my statement earlier that the new system is bad and a big deal. It seems it is only an inconvenience.
    I admit I am quite firmly in the 'dark ages' as you put it. T'his site is the only 'social' internet I use. But from what I see on Facebook, twitter, message boards, etc... it doesn't look too enlightened to me. I'm quite happy where I am.

edit - I am also an active member on the TartanLug forum socially, but that's it!
    klinton
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 692
    @BOBJACK_JACKBOB I'm with you on the social media stuff, although probably because I'm not very sociable!

Like you, Brickset and the TartanLug forum (along with eurobricks forum) pretty much all my social internet. Even then I'm not that social, I tend to do more reading than posting; my posts to visits ratio is pretty low here compared to some, and even lower on Eurobricks and TartanLug

While it's never going to happen, it would be interesting to see some data relating to the VIP program; How many members, how much they spend, how often they use it etc.  
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
    I retract my statement earlier that the new system is bad and a big deal. It seems it is only an inconvenience.
    I've a hunch that when people start actually just using the new system rather than spouting off knee jerk reactions to wild assumptions, the general sentiment will be much the same. It really isn't any big deal. 

My own initial reactions to the change (immortalized somewhere on these forums) was one of aversion. It kinda does seem like a PIA at first glance. The actual system itself is pretty straightforward and easy to use though. If that extra step of just selecting the credit is what it takes to open up the possibilities of redeeming points for things other than 5% off purchases, so be it. :D 
    dmcc0BOBJACK_JACKBOB
    klinton said:
    spouting off knee jerk reactions to wild assumptions,

I think this is a bit harsh. My reaction was to the information at hand which was that there were two options for redeeming VIP points at the till. Either by use of a code on your phone or by printing out an e-mail with the code. Until the article on the front page yesterday, that was the information I had. It wasn't an assumption, but rather what had been reported.
    Of course I'm happy to find that this is not the case.

klintonsonatine01
    @BOBJACK_JACKBOB: I didn't mean you in particular. I was actually quoting you as an example of being able to see through the hysteria. :) 
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
    edited August 9
    @klinton My apologies. Sometimes it's easy to assume the worst, as you are saying. I guess I can be guilty of that too.
    THE END IS NIGH!!!!!!! :-)
    klinton