Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

FS/FT or discussion? UK/WW: TENTE astro/space (I know!)

Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 958
I know, I know, it's not LEGO!
I doubt there's anyone here that will want these, but I thought there was a greater chance here than anywhere, and if nothing else I thought there might be some validity in sharing these with you all... I did contemplate putting this in "everything else" for discussion, but I'd like to see them go to a new appreciative home...

I found my old TENTE lurking in an old tool box that I also found a lot of my missing technic LEGO in last week. I have only these four (incomplete) TENTE combi astro sets. 5, 6, 7 & 8

TENTE was a Spanish product, very similar to, but entirely incompatible with LEGO. I don't know where they fit in the history of things, these sets were from the mid 80s but I believe they predate that by a good long while, certainly my initial research suggests these were originally produced from at least the late 60s... I'm dubious that these exact sets were as I think they owe much to the LEGO that would have been contemporary.

They were send away gifts from a Kellogg's Cornflakes promotion circa 1986, although I was sure it was earlier than that...

The sets are not complete, I don't have original instructions or boxes (or bags as they were supplied iirc).

This Kellogg's box back was an internet find and I have pieced together each model from that, so they might not be correct.

I do remember playing with these. The interesting thing is the holes in the studs and the pegs on some parts that allow for positioning in different ways. Overall, I don't think it's a great method... but I can appreciate that if these were your first building blocks you'd have fondness for this approach.

The condition is pretty good overall I think. A bit of rubbing on the chrome elements.

I only have the one spaceman who is missing his arms... I have no idea what happened to the others - probably blasted to pieces by the valiant Classic Spacemen of #6971 Inter-Galactic Command Base.

Here are one set of instructions I found on an ebay auction... if anyone has scans of these I'd really appreciate seeing them, possibly to add to appeal of this for any eventual owner too - if that was cool?

I do have them for sale up on ebay, but if anyone is interested I'd be very happy to do some sort of trade. I was looking for around £8.50 for them, but would happily swap them for a minifigure or two off my wants list (or similar). At this point I'd just be delighted if anyone was interested in them.

Usually commenting is verboten on marketplace threads, but I hope some discussion will be allowed on this, even if it's just to enlighten me, or generally denigrate the product, perhaps to even reminisce!
andhe

Comments

• truck730truck730 Member Posts: 199
    Twas awful stuff but cornflakes sure were nice, it's nowhere on the lego scale and taking apart ended in breakages
    Mr_Cross
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,455
    I remember having at least one of these back when I was a nipper. The spacemen look very familiar. No idea what happened to them though. Probably got binned/donated. Thanks for the reminder!
    Mr_Cross
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 471
    edited July 10
    I've had one or two pieces turn up in bulk buys from charity shops, e-bay, etc - i recognise the studs with holes. Never knew what they were from. I will have just binned them. The corn flake promotion also stirs some memories. When was it from? 80's?
    You've sent me down a rabbit hole - I'm off to google kelloggs promotions from my childhood!
    Mr_Cross
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 472
    Thank you for the trip down memory lane. I had completely forgotten about these sets. No doubt they’re all mixed in with my regular 80’s Lego back in my mother’s attic in England :-)
    Mr_Cross
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    I don't remember these at all, mind you we used to have Weetabix. I remember the LEGO adverts on those boxes, but never got any of them. But I did collect the Doctor Who cards, Asterix cards, Batman cards, ...
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 516

Mr_Cross
    Instructions for 7.

Mr_Cross
    Instructions for 5. 
    Mr_Cross
    Instructions for 8. 
    Mr_Cross
    AND not forgetting the COMBI instructions. (searched using my bad Spanish lol)

Mr_Cross
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 958
    WOW! Thanks @DeMontes I really appreciate that :-)
    DeMontesFizyxandhe
    Mr_Cross said:
    WOW! Thanks @DeMontes I really appreciate that :-)
    Funnily enough there is a forum for Tente with lots of mocs and images of collections. It's like TenteSet lol
    Mr_CrossFizyxandhe
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    Wow, robots that turn into vehicles ...

These look quite early. I wonder if they were before the original Transformers.

Mr_CrossFizyx
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 472
    @CCC I doubt they pre-date Transformers. The original design for Optimus Prime is from 1980. Here’s an interesting link detailing the history of Transformers toys.

https://www.everything80spodcast.com/transformers/

I also recommend watching the Transformers episode of ‘The Toys That Made Us’ on Netflix for further information.

I tried finding a date for these Roblock toys and couldn’t find anything. I even zoomed in on the original instructions and couldn’t see a date on there either.