Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

FS/FT or discussion? UK/WW: TENTE astro/space (I know!)

Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,015
I know, I know, it's not LEGO!
I doubt there's anyone here that will want these, but I thought there was a greater chance here than anywhere, and if nothing else I thought there might be some validity in sharing these with you all... I did contemplate putting this in "everything else" for discussion, but I'd like to see them go to a new appreciative home...

I found my old TENTE lurking in an old tool box that I also found a lot of my missing technic LEGO in last week. I have only these four (incomplete) TENTE combi astro sets. 5, 6, 7 & 8

TENTE was a Spanish product, very similar to, but entirely incompatible with LEGO. I don't know where they fit in the history of things, these sets were from the mid 80s but I believe they predate that by a good long while, certainly my initial research suggests these were originally produced from at least the late 60s... I'm dubious that these exact sets were as I think they owe much to the LEGO that would have been contemporary.

They were send away gifts from a Kellogg's Cornflakes promotion circa 1986, although I was sure it was earlier than that...

The sets are not complete, I don't have original instructions or boxes (or bags as they were supplied iirc).

This Kellogg's box back was an internet find and I have pieced together each model from that, so they might not be correct.

I do remember playing with these. The interesting thing is the holes in the studs and the pegs on some parts that allow for positioning in different ways. Overall, I don't think it's a great method... but I can appreciate that if these were your first building blocks you'd have fondness for this approach.

The condition is pretty good overall I think. A bit of rubbing on the chrome elements.

I only have the one spaceman who is missing his arms... I have no idea what happened to the others - probably blasted to pieces by the valiant Classic Spacemen of #6971 Inter-Galactic Command Base.

Here are one set of instructions I found on an ebay auction... if anyone has scans of these I'd really appreciate seeing them, possibly to add to appeal of this for any eventual owner too - if that was cool?

I do have them for sale up on ebay, but if anyone is interested I'd be very happy to do some sort of trade. I was looking for around £8.50 for them, but would happily swap them for a minifigure or two off my wants list (or similar). At this point I'd just be delighted if anyone was interested in them.

Usually commenting is verboten on marketplace threads, but I hope some discussion will be allowed on this, even if it's just to enlighten me, or generally denigrate the product, perhaps to even reminisce!
andhe

Comments

• truck730truck730 Member Posts: 229
    Twas awful stuff but cornflakes sure were nice, it's nowhere on the lego scale and taking apart ended in breakages
    Mr_Cross
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,573
    I remember having at least one of these back when I was a nipper. The spacemen look very familiar. No idea what happened to them though. Probably got binned/donated. Thanks for the reminder!
    Mr_Cross
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 517
    edited July 10
    I've had one or two pieces turn up in bulk buys from charity shops, e-bay, etc - i recognise the studs with holes. Never knew what they were from. I will have just binned them. The corn flake promotion also stirs some memories. When was it from? 80's?
    You've sent me down a rabbit hole - I'm off to google kelloggs promotions from my childhood!
    Mr_Cross
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 550
    Thank you for the trip down memory lane. I had completely forgotten about these sets. No doubt they’re all mixed in with my regular 80’s Lego back in my mother’s attic in England :-)
    Mr_Cross
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,945
    I don't remember these at all, mind you we used to have Weetabix. I remember the LEGO adverts on those boxes, but never got any of them. But I did collect the Doctor Who cards, Asterix cards, Batman cards, ...
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 564

Mr_Cross
    Instructions for 7.

Mr_Cross
    Instructions for 5. 
    Mr_Cross
    Instructions for 8. 
    Mr_Cross
    AND not forgetting the COMBI instructions. (searched using my bad Spanish lol)

Mr_Cross
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,015
    WOW! Thanks @DeMontes I really appreciate that :-)
    DeMontesFizyxandhe
    Mr_Cross said:
    WOW! Thanks @DeMontes I really appreciate that :-)
    Funnily enough there is a forum for Tente with lots of mocs and images of collections. It's like TenteSet lol
    Mr_CrossFizyxandhe
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,945
    Wow, robots that turn into vehicles ...

These look quite early. I wonder if they were before the original Transformers.

Mr_CrossFizyx
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 550
    @CCC I doubt they pre-date Transformers. The original design for Optimus Prime is from 1980. Here’s an interesting link detailing the history of Transformers toys.

https://www.everything80spodcast.com/transformers/

I also recommend watching the Transformers episode of ‘The Toys That Made Us’ on Netflix for further information.

I tried finding a date for these Roblock toys and couldn’t find anything. I even zoomed in on the original instructions and couldn’t see a date on there either.