Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links to help keep the forum online: LEGO.com Amazon

Which current Lego Direct sets will retire first?

pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
edited April 2011 in Collecting
I am buying the medieval market villiage and then either the fire brigade (10197) or the grand emporium (10211) I am not sure which of the latter two will be retired first? I know its not an exact science but some of you have been collecting lot longer than I have and may have a better idea about it. I am not even sure which came out first or anything. I know you kind of frown on the "help me choose sets" threads but since I am not asking for personal opinions I hope this will be ok. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give on this.

Comments

• drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,258
    You're right - it's not an exact science. Given that Fire Brigade came out a full year before Grand Emporium, however, the law of probabilities suggests that Fire Brigade will depart first. Both nice sets, though - I'm looking at them as I type !
  • mirandirmirandir Member Posts: 31
    Fire brigade will be the first to go of the two modular houses. I expect it to be off the shelves in october/november this year while Grand Emporium will be around until late next year.
  • pantenkindpantenkind Member Posts: 258
    ok, perfect, I will def own both before its all said and done but I want to buy as smart as I can. I know the medieval market villiage will probably be gone sooner than later so its a must get at this point. Thanks for the info on release dates, that really helped.
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 944
    It's hard to say which of the two modular sets will retire first. Regardless, if one is released prior to the other doesn't mean the oldest retires first. It's simple, "supply and demand."

I expect one of them to retire soon based on the rumors of the next modular set to a Pet Shop.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Medieval Market has been marked for discontinuation this year. Fire Brigade came out a year before the Grand Emporium so it's probably next in line (just like Cafe Corner was ended before Green Grocer). Expect Fire Brigade to last at least until the end of this year and possibly a bit into next year.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    If you're willing to risk it, Amazon, TRU, and Target have previously been known to let modulars be a part of late year sales...
    nah, Not on those sets, some I will risk but with those if you wait and miss then you pay double. I would rather not take that chance and spend the extra few bucks to make sure I get them. as it is I am too late for the green grocer, the corner store? and I am not sure if there are any others, but either way my dark ages are going to cost me an arm and a leg to get them. I do honestly appreciate the heads up on that though.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    I need to purchase second sets of those: Fire Brigade for parts and Grand Emporium so I can modify my existing one into a larger structure. It really bothers me that there is just one set of escalators; how are people supposed to get back down?
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    It's not uncommon to have up-only escalators in stores. You do have gravity on your side with stairs to descend!
    There are no stairs.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    I believe theses are the ones selling out this year:
    10193 Medieval Market Village
    10194 Creator Emerald Night
    10197 Fire Brigade
    10188 Death Star

Usually the Buildings go for about 2 years and sell out before Christmas of the third year after release(if my math is correct). I'm guessing the same can be applied for the other sets (BUT The emerald night and Market Village came out in the Spring of 09, as well as the Imperial Flagship I believe)
    I also believe that the following will be gone this year (but not sure):
    10210 Imperial Flagship
    10198 Tantive IV
    The sets associated with the creator '100' series are usually:
    10190 Market Street (although is was not really a creator set)
    10182 Cafe Corner
    10185 Green Grocer
    10197 Fire Brigade
    10211 Grand Emporium
    Whatever the new set for 11 is (The rumor is a Pet shop)
    Another great set is also the 4954 Creator Townhouse
    If you're willing to risk it, Amazon, TRU, and Target have previously been known to let modulars be a part of late year sales...
    I remember when walmart.com had the Cafe Corner's for $120 and had TONS of them.... but nobody wanted them because they were expensive... Ahh the memories

edited April 2011
    It's hard to say which of the two modular sets will retire first. Regardless, if one is released prior to the other doesn't mean the oldest retires first. It's simple, "supply and demand."

I expect one of them to retire soon based on the rumors of the next modular set to a Pet Shop.
    It will be the Fire Brigade.. If Lego holds true to form it will stop producing those long before they stop the Grand Emporium
    edited June 2011
    I believe theses are the ones selling out this year:
    10193 Medieval Market Village
    10194 Creator Emerald Night
    10197 Fire Brigade
    10188 Death Star
    I haven't seen Fire Brigade marked for discontinuation this year but the Battle of Endor is.
    (BUT The emerald night and Market Village came out in the Spring of 09, as well as the Imperial Flagship I believe)
    I also believe that the following will be gone this year (but not sure):
    10210 Imperial Flagship
    10198 Tantive IV
    The Imperial Flagship came out in early 2010.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited June 2011
    There are no stairs.
    Ahh, but there are windows...
    10210 Imperial Flagship
    I would have thought that with POTC coming in, anything from the old pirates series can't last long, so I agree, I think this is on the way out pretty soon. Darn good set too.

In fact, looking at this list, we're going to lose some cracking sets.
    Fire Brigade is on its way out.. another way to tell is that TRU.com has not really had any in stock for a while now, which is another indicator that I have seen in the past with the Cafe Corner and Green Grocer both.
    edited April 2011
    Ahh, but there are windows...
    Lol...
  • Firox5000Firox5000 Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2011
    I reckon the Tantive IV, Emerald Night and Medieval Village will discontinue this year.
  • stephenvwstephenvw Lexington, KYMember Posts: 89
    Any new info on what is going to retire next or what is going to retire this year?
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited June 2011
    According to the Lego email customer contact centre, the tram set
    http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=8404-1
    will retire towards the end of this year/ possibly early next.
    The belief that the Imperial Flagship can't coexist with the POTC sets is similar to other beliefs regarding Lego's themes. The same was said of Castle and Harry Potter as well as the Star Wars and space themes. Too often the community latches onto ideas for which there is no official statement from Lego and no actual evidence for support. The exclusives tend to run 2-3 years so the Imperial Flagship may go out in 2012 for that reason. There isn't any evidence for its discontinuation because of the POTC theme though.
    Fire Brigade is on its way out.. another way to tell is that TRU.com has not really had any in stock for a while now, which is another indicator that I have seen in the past with the Cafe Corner and Green Grocer both.
    Ok Ok So TRU provded me wrong with the bounty of them during the BOGO sale but I still think that Fire Brigade is on its way out...
    Ill put it this way.. the FB will be gone before Grand Emporium or the PetShop.

edited June 2011
    Ok Ok So TRU provded me wrong with the bounty of them during the BOGO sale but I still think that Fire Brigade is on its way out...
    Ill put it this way.. the FB will be gone before Grand Emporium or the PetShop.
    O/o petshop...ya think? :-)