Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO Scooby-Doo Blowout Beach Bash (A Review Two Years in the Ether)

OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 291

LEGO Scooby-Doo Blowout Beach Bash: The second animated special for LEGO Scooby-Doo is much like the last one, a typical Scooby adventure featuring the same loveable cast. That being said, this one has a few noticeable differences from typical Scooby fare, and this review will go over those differences in minor detail when we reach that point.

Presentation

Much like last time, the case looks very Scooby. With a nice LEGO twist, Shaggy and Scooby are prominent on the front cover being chased by a roller coaster with the rest of the gang and two new pirate ghosts.

The menus are pretty much the same as the previous special, and the animation is very much the same as well. This animation is very fluid and does a really good job of capturing the Scooby formula quite nicely. The voice work is also top notch and some wonderful lines crop up that really poke fun at the typical formula of a Scooby episode. (In point of fact this is the first time I’ve ever heard characters refer to their world as a LEGO world, and draw attention to some of those elements. It took my completely by surprise and was very amusing.)

Minifigures

Sadly this does not come with a bonus Minifigure at all. I’m not sure if this is because LEGO and WB are shying away from this formula for their animated specials, or if it was just too much to ask to receive a new bonus ghost, alas the only thing you’re going to find here is a digital feature.

Contents

This is a great special, at 77 minutes long it’s a typical length for a direct-to-dvd Scooby movie. As with the previous release they include three bonus episodes, unfortunately these episodes are a bit of a let down, as they have been included so often that you’re bound to already own many copies of them, with exception to the newest incarnation episode, the one from Be Cool Scooby-Doo is more recent and not as often to be included as the What’s New episodes.

But the special is the real draw. This one was hilariously funny and quite engaging, it may come off as a bit cliché or formulaic, however there were many interesting twists and the biggest of these was that it featured a few musical sections complete with clever and catchy little songs that KFOLs will drive their parents mad with. The entire plot of the special was a pleasant change compared to the first film which focused more on Hollywood and less on the mystery at times.

Overall Opinion

Scooby-Dooby-Doo, this special is for you, if you’re a real fan of the idea of blending LEGO and Scooby-Doo together. I’d strongly recommend it if you enjoyed the first special, it’s a fun treat to enjoy and the typical brand of Scooby humour is enhanced once again by the world of LEGO they find themselves in. From removing hair pieces, changing disguises, commenting on the bricks being used to build stuff, it’s all gloriously amusing and glorious camp. Strongly recommended.

Hope this review is well received and helps folks out despite being way later than I promised in my last post where I reviewed the Jurassic World special Indominous Escape.

LittleLoriFowlerBricksSumoLegocody6268Koolbrix2018