Hello from New Jersey

ekoblentzekoblentz New JerseyMember Posts: 6
edited June 6 in Introduce yourself
Hello world!

I posted "what's this piece" three years ago. Tonight I rediscovered the forum and decided a proper introduction is in order, because I went and got myself * slightly * more involved back in the Lego scene. :)

I'm 44 and have two jobs: I write about big-business computing (data centers, storage, networking, etc.) for TechRepublic.com and I'm executive director of Vintage Computer Federation. "VCF" is a nationwide user group and 501(c)(3) educational non-profit. We have dual missions: to enable collectors/restorers of historic computing systems (anything from pre-WW2 through the 1990s), and to spread awareness to the general public about the history of computing.

So it's my job(s) to be knowledgeable about anything from Charles Babbage to VMware, but my personal favorite thing is Lego robotics from * before * the Mindstorms era. I made a website about this called MindsBeforeTheStorm.com. It's not finished, but there is enough content (especially in the 8-bit section) for you to see what I'm doing. I am ecstatic about set #9700, Technic Control Center. Program robots in BASIC, LOGO, and 6502 Assembly using my childhood Apple II or an IBM XT? Yes please!!!

I also made a Facebook group of the same name plus a side group called Square Pistons - Lego Expert Builder and Vintage Technic.

I'm giving a lecture about the pre-Mindstorms stuff at Brickfair NJ this autumn.

Over and out,
-Evan
BumblepantseggshenPitfall69snowhitiepxchrisAstrobricks

Comments

• snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,853
    Welcome, sounds like you got a great programming background to come up with some cool stuff.
  • ekoblentzekoblentz New JerseyMember Posts: 6
    Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun with this.
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 529
    Welcome! 

This is a fascinating specialty that you have. Not one that I've seen addressed much in the community.
  • ekoblentzekoblentz New JerseyMember Posts: 6
    Thank you Pxchris.

There are bits and pieces of information about Lego's pre-Mindstorms robot sets scattered around the web, but I was disappointed that nobody ever put it all in one place. So I did it. :) I also tracked down and interviewed some engineers from Lego, MIT Media Lab, etc. in order to get primary sources of historical information.
    pxchris