Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

7642 City Garage On Clearance at TRU B&M (YMMV)

georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
edited April 2011 in Shopping USA/Canada
I don't know if this is at all TRU nationwide, but at the one close to me in Roseville by Costco, they have about 30 of the 7642 Garage sets marked down to $75. On bricklink, they are going for 85,90-100. Since this set is out of production, anyone who is a reseller could take advantage of this. They were marked as clearance a couple weeks ago, now it's just the price, so they probably are not going to go back up in price. Hope someone can take advantage of this. I am not really into reselling sets, otherwise I would have bought them all. hehe.

PS - when you find them on the shelf, turn around and look up, you will see the rest.

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited April 2011
    I picked some of these up on clearance (~$65) + BOGO 50% for a true deal. At the time, I bought most of the remaining ones there and left just the battered boxes, but it looks like they must have somehow restocked.

All the other TRUs in Sacramento are out of them, and I imagine it's the same hit & miss situation across the country since the set has been retired.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    Ymmv?
    edited April 2011
    Your mileage may vary... sorry, it's pretty common internet deal terminology meaning "your results may vary". I'm going to be using it a lot around these parts, because so many clearance deals are YMMV
  • georgebjonesgeorgebjones Member Posts: 224
    Yes, they have quite a few and they all look to be in great shape.
    ^ I'm tempted to take the slightly dented ones I bought and exchange them for fresh ones. Thanks for the heads up!
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,108
    The Garage set is an excellent set to have and I highly recommend picking one up before they are all gone.

Do you think it's one of those set that will sky rocket in price once they are all gone? Is it worth picking up a few now for selling and/or trading later?

It's funny....I play the stock market and buying Lego sets give me the same rush.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,731

Do you think it's one of those set that will sky rocket in price once they are all gone? Is it worth picking up a few now for selling and/or trading later?
    I don't get the feeling that the value of this one will rise to any great extent. It's a pretty average set from my perspective. If you're looking to speculate, there are numerous other sets that I think are more likely to appreciate than that one - modulars, Star Wars with unique minifigures, Medieval Market Village, Emerald Night etc. etc.
    I don't think it's going to reach stratospheric levels, but I think it will appreciate, since virtually all retired LEGO sets do. I will be happy if it reaches $110 USD by this holiday season, and expect it to maybe top out at $150 over the next few years.

My intention with reselling is to help fund my personal collecting and validate to my wife that it is not a complete financial sinkhole. I definitely don't have any illusions of getting rich from it.
  • meyerc13meyerc13 Member Posts: 227
    These have been long gone from my area. Back when TRU was running ads with these on sale, they were already gone. I don't think this set will go too high. I've passed this set by so many times at $75, each time I ponder it, but I just don't see enough to make me want it at that price, there's always something I want more. For me, $65 was my magic price point, had I found it that low I would have snapped one up, but they didn't make it that low around here.

To put it in perspective, in 2009 these were carried by Fleet Farm in their Christmas section. My Fleet Farm had them on clearance for almost an entire year for $75 before they were finally snapped up, even though nobody else in town carried the set during that time.

They might hit $110, but I'd be very surprised if they hit $150. We're more likely to get a better garage or service station before they've appreciated to that level.
  • DaveBeyDaveBey Member Posts: 46
    I picked up 7642 Garage at the Toys "R" Us closest to me at the ~$75 "clearance" price a month or so ago as well. The strange thing was I went to the Toys "R" Us on the other side of town the same day and it was still the regular ~$100 price. It's a really neat set and I love the attention to detail in the shop area of the set.

Cheers from Claremore, OK!
    Dave
  • 50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
    I bought this set on BL for 40... Missing some garage parts... Totally worth it for the wrecker at 65-70.