Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Cracks in CMF Disney Series 2 Chip and Dale

2»

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    My father recently chipped his tooth and his name is Dale. I asked him if his dental work was done by TLG ;)
    560HeliportBumblepants
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 4,486
    Pitfall69 said:
    My father recently chipped his tooth and his name is Dale. I asked him if his dental work was done by TLG ;)
    Maybe he can get a replacement from them. ;-)
    Pitfall69 said:
    Maybe he can get a replacement from them. ;-)
    He fought tooth and nail, but to no avail ;)
    gmonkey76
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,715
    edited June 2019
    It could be worse. From the BBC:

"The first pictures have emerged of cracking in the graphite bricks which make up the core of nuclear reactors at Hunterston B Power Station in Ayrshire."

I hear it's only the brown graphite bricks that are cracking though.
    Astrobrickssid3windr
    ^I would be dropping brown bricks myself ;)
    Astrobricksgmonkey76sid3windr
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,275
    I live in Michigan... all the weather stories are true!!  Detroit has a milder climate than most of the rest of the state, with less snow as well.  I own(ed) hundreds of thousands of LEGO parts... pre 2000... no problems with any of them, except an occasional faded spaceman (I never play with minifigs, so it wasn't from wear).

Aren't most all fancy minfigures, and all CMFs made in China?  Red flag going off right there.  Also... plastic is NOT a long term durable material.  Just Google "The race to save historic plastic artifacts".  Lots of horror stories. 

I would not want to be a CMF collection owner in 20 years... plenty of surprises will likely be coming your way... even in dark climate controlled conditions.

Pitfall69GothamConstructionCopxchris
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,764
    Istokg said:
    I live in Michigan... all the weather stories are true!!  Detroit has a milder climate than most of the rest of the state, with less snow as well.  I own(ed) hundreds of thousands of LEGO parts... pre 2000... no problems with any of them, except an occasional faded spaceman (I never play with minifigs, so it wasn't from wear).

Aren't most all fancy minfigures, and all CMFs made in China?  Red flag going off right there.  Also... plastic is NOT a long term durable material.  Just Google "The race to save historic plastic artifacts".  Lots of horror stories. 

I would not want to be a CMF collection owner in 20 years... plenty of surprises will likely be coming your way... even in dark climate controlled conditions.

CMF (at least most of their parts) are made the same plastics as regular bricks though, so problems will also occur with regular bricks. I doubt there will be any more problems for CMF than for most other minifigure parts, or other parts that are combination ones (arms in torso, legs in hips, etc). There are loads of reports of non-CMF parts cracking too. For example, https://www.flickr.com/photos/gogen001/13999600230

Plus plastic is not a single material. There are problems with early plastics, that is why there has been development in them and continuing development. That is why lego changed from CA to ABS. Better materials came along. Of course some plastics for single use items are being designed to decompose, for items that get used once this makes sense. Whereas for LEGO and similar toys, they are expected to last for many years. ABS fits that role.

• nerzhinnerzhin MIMember Posts: 22
    So no cracks yet in Dale, but here is the fastest cracking I've seen yet. Bought an unopened Incredibles set this week, built it Tuesday, and the Underminer has forearm cracks by Friday. What the heck is going on with Lego????