Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Cracks in CMF Disney Series 2 Chip and Dale

nerzhinnerzhin MIMember Posts: 22
Just got Chip and Dale minifigures on 5/14/19. Noticed cracks on them 5/21/19. What the heck? At four dollars a figure, they should last more than a week. Lego says they won't replace CMF parts, either. Anyone else have these issues?

Comments

• klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 421
    On both of them? 

If it's only been a week, return them to the shop you bought them at. Lego CS might not be able to help you, but the store will accept defective merchandise returns, no? 
    Fizyx
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 588
    Where are you noticing cracks on them?
  • nerzhinnerzhin MIMember Posts: 22
    Can't return them, got them off bricklink unfortunately. The cracks are on the torso sides, under the arms. Many minifigures crack just like this, but I have never had CMFs crack, and I have never had figures crack this fast. Dale is very hard to photograph but I tried to get a picture of the crack on Chip. Now I noticed that Dale's arms are cracking as well, from the wrist towards the elbow. Darn it. The crack starts starts at the waist.

• PyrobugPyrobug Louisville, KyMember Posts: 91
    Contact the seller on bricklink and ask for replacements or a refund.
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 958
    Whether CS can help you replace the figures or not, that is unacceptable and deserves a fairly stern letter the TLG. I would include photos and express deep disappointment.
    I've got classic space men (some that I've now had for 40 years) that aren't cracked. This is down to shoddy production methods. I suspect they're running the injection mould machines faster than they used to, or simply that this is being subcontracted out to factories who aren't taking such care.
    Fizyx
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 661
    I actually had a black stain on Minnie's face in my set, that I couldn't remove at all. I got a positive response from CS when I chatted when them and they are sending a replacement piece, which is something that I know they have not done in the past for CMFs.  I'm convinced it's because of the Steamboat Willy set, but I still think it's definitely worth contacting CS to see if they can/will replace the pieces.  That is super ridiculous!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,515
    Is the arm actually a crack, or is it the line in the mold that is showing, as some minifigure arms look like they have a crack when they don't.

And what have you done with the minifigures? To have two different new minifigure torsos, in two different colours, crack so quickly is rare. Have you just assembled and displayed them, or played with them, removed arms, etc?

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,356
    Pyrobug said:
    Why would the Bricklink seller be responsible for defective minifigures if they arrived to the buyer in good condition? I assume the minifigures arrived in good condition? 
    Yes, the minifigures were brand new from the bricklink seller. It is not his fault. The arm is cracked, not a mold line, though I know what you mean. Will try to get a picture up. Did contact Lego, so we will see. The figures were played with for about an hour total before being put on display, but at no time were their arms popped in and out or anything. Pretty gentle play. I am sad that such cool toys are being undercut by bad production. I could provide many, many pictures of cracked minifigures from our collection. Some I have gotten replaced from Lego, only to have the replacements crack as well. Some Lego would not replace because parts were out of production.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,111
    I've only ever had one cracked minifigure torso, which arrived that way on a used listing from Bricklink and it was a minifigure that was at least 5 years old at that point. 

I've broken a cheese slope while building before, but never had any problem with minifigure pieces, even those that I've handled a lot during building. 
    @nerzhin ; you live in Michigan? No wonder you have cracks!!! If the potholes don't get you the 30 degrees one day and 80 the next will get ya ;)
    MynattFizyx
    edited May 22
    nerzhin said:
    I could provide many, many pictures of cracked minifigures from our collection. Some I have gotten replaced from Lego, only to have the replacements crack as well. Some Lego would not replace because parts were out of production.
    It must be an environment problem, as I have multiple 1000s of minifigures (mainly displayed or posed in MOCs but not really played with) and very few of them have cracks. My biggest problem is hands cracking when accessories are left in them for years at a time, especially transparent polycarbonate parts. Similarly legs crack at the rear from the foot to the first hole if figures are left standing on polycarbonate studs. I think I have had less than 10 hands crack ever and two legs (Iron Man and War Machine, when left on their transparent cylinders).

But then my kids have probably close to 1000 between them and I don't think very many of those ones are cracked and they get very heavy play. The ones that get cracked tend to be the ones that get abused the most (arms pulled off, thrown out of windows, go swimming at the beach, etc).

• sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,342
    Fizyx said:
    I got a positive response from CS when I chatted when them and they are sending a replacement piece, which is something that I know they have not done in the past for CMFs.
    Can you please feedback whether you actually get a replacement piece? I've had a missing skirt from one of the HP CMFs, and while CS confirmed they would be sending a new one, and the replacement part 'order' on the website showed the skirt, and even the packing list of the envelope that arrived showed the skirt, the content of the envelope was a full CMF blind bag.. containing another figure.
    Fizyx
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,431
    Not a crack in one of mine, but Jack Skeleton's waist cape was stamped in such a way that none of the holes were complete. It was basically a half-circle. I've reached out to CS. Hopefully something comes of it. 
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,509
    Interesting that its a brown piece, which seem to crack when you do anything more than look at them in some sizes.

LEGO released a new brown colour recently to fix these problems did they not? So is this made using the old mix, or is the new mix useless as well.

@CCC It is interesting that whenever I post about Lego quality problems, I get responses from people in the UK who have not had the same issues at all. Totally different supply lines maybe? If it is environmental, it is as wide as the USA, because I have bought lego from all over the country, used and new, and have found cracks. We keep our Lego both upstairs and in the basement; upstairs temps vary from 60 to 70 degrees, basement stays at about 60. See cracks in both parts of the collection. For instance, bought the Unikitty Party set a few weeks ago, kept on a shelf at 66 degrees, Hawkodile already has cracks in the yellow bricks of his feet. I think some of the time people don't report cracks because they don't look closely enough to see them; but so many non-crackers in Europe/UK makes me think it could well be some kind of regional/environmental problem.

When several new Nexo Knights sets of mine came down with cracktitus, I wrote a letter to Lego that was a little bit frustrated in tone. The response I got was that 'fans of lego the world over are accepting of a margin of error in the quality of their bricks, and a certain amount of cracking and breaking is within that margin'. Fine if its a cheese slope in a common color, not so fine when it is an out of production Batman figure, a rare clone sergeant, or an entire Mixel character, etc.

@sid3windr I will update if I hear back from Lego.

Also can provide many pictures here of cracked figures if any one is interested. Thanks for all the replies

Oubird
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 786
    Pitfall69 said:
    Pyrobug said:
    Why would the Bricklink seller be responsible for defective minifigures if they arrived to the buyer in good condition? I assume the minifigures arrived in good condition? 
    If the seller is a business, surely their responsibility for the merchandise doesn't end when it crosses the buyer's doorstep?
    Interesting that its a brown piece, which seem to crack when you do anything more than look at them in some sizes.

LEGO released a new brown colour recently to fix these problems did they not? So is this made using the old mix, or is the new mix useless as well.
    Only one is reddish brown (BL name), the other is a dark flesh one. It is a bit odd that it happened with different colours of a pair (Chip and Dale) and not other characters selected at random.

nerzhin said:

@CCC It is interesting that whenever I post about Lego quality problems, I get responses from people in the UK who have not had the same issues at all. Totally different supply lines maybe?

For the CMF, I don't think so. For sets, yes, parts come from different factories but I believe all CMFs come from the same place.
    nerzhin said:
    The response I got was that 'fans of lego the world over are accepting of a margin of error in the quality of their bricks, and a certain amount of cracking and breaking is within that margin'. Fine if its a cheese slope in a common color, not so fine when it is an out of production Batman figure, a rare clone sergeant, or an entire Mixel character, etc.
    No doubt some people don't care too much, but often parts are not replaceable. If LEGO knows that these errors or poor quality parts are now standard for their sets, they really ought to be keeping larger stocks of the unique parts to replace them if they fail.

Aleydita said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    Pyrobug said:
    If the seller is a business, surely their responsibility for the merchandise doesn't end when it crosses the buyer's doorstep?
    I agree to a point. It is the seller's responsibility to make sure the item arrives in good condition. Let's be honest here; Bricklink isn't Amazon. Why should a reseller be responsible for an item that arrived in good condition and be responsible for the item after it breaks or is defective? There's a reasonable expectation when buying from Bricklink, but that's as far as it goes in my opinion. 
    BrainsluggedFizyxdatsunrobbiebpk2300CymbelinemadforLEGOjpeg07
    Pitfall69 said:
    Aleydita said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    Pyrobug said:
    I agree to a point. It is the seller's responsibility to make sure the item arrives in good condition. Let's be honest here; Bricklink isn't Amazon. Why should a reseller be responsible for an item that arrived in good condition and be responsible for the item after it breaks or is defective? There's a reasonable expectation when buying from Bricklink, but that's as far as it goes in my opinion. 
    The sellers on Bricklink aren't Amazon but the same rules should apply. Why do they get to say "tough luck" when the goods they supply turn out to be crap, just because they're a small business? If you believe it's a matter of scale, how big does a reseller have to be before they're culpable? Who decides? Surely you have laws about such things in the US?

In the UK/EU, a product is automatically deemed faulty if a fault occurs within the first six months after purchase. The retailer must refund or replace, or - at the consumer's discretion - repair.
    edited May 23
    ^The prices on Bricklink are lower because they don't have the same "protections" that Amazon has. You are paying for "piece of mind" when you purchase on Amazon. Why should a reseller be responsible for an item that is sealed, but 20 years old? 

There's also a question of whether "Chip and Dale" were sealed or an opened product. In my opinion, if a product is opened it's condition is open to interpretation. 

I think at this point, we can agree to disagree on this subject and probably shouldn't derail the thread any further, but it is an interesting subject to discuss. Maybe in a seperate thread? :)
    klintoncatwrangler
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 752
    I just carried out an inspection and my UK-bought Chip & Dale are both fine. They've both been on the black CMF plate ever since I bought them the day they were released.
    BrickByBrick
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,284
    My Dale has very noticeable color difference in his head, torso, and legs. The head and legs are a dull shade of nougat while the torso is the normal vibrant/saturated shade.
    Well, I got an email from Lego saying they are sending me '1 replacement part' so we will see what comes. The figures were essentially new; only the packages slit open to verify contents. They were not cracked when I first got and assembled them. Cracks did not show up until a week had passed.

Pitfall69
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 661
    sid3windr said:
    Fizyx said:
    I got a positive response from CS when I chatted when them and they are sending a replacement piece, which is something that I know they have not done in the past for CMFs.
    Can you please feedback whether you actually get a replacement piece? I've had a missing skirt from one of the HP CMFs, and while CS confirmed they would be sending a new one, and the replacement part 'order' on the website showed the skirt, and even the packing list of the envelope that arrived showed the skirt, the content of the envelope was a full CMF blind bag.. containing another figure.
    Following up for @sid3windr : Got the envelope from LEGO today, and it did contain just the head.  I'm convinced that it must be because it's identical to the Steamboat Willie one, otherwise I bet they would have just send the full bag like they did for you.
    sid3windr
    Looking through my collection and photographing just a few of the cracks to be found. The vintage space figure surprised me, because I thought none of my old stuff had cracked. The Overwatch Bastion set is only a month old, and already having multiple crack issues. Many cracked star wars figures,:

• klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 421
    It could be a climate thing, eh? I've no idea what the weather is lik there in Michigan, but I'd imagine it's not terribly conducive to the integrity of ABS. 

I've seen a few parts crack over the years, but it's super rare. Only one minifig torso, to my knowledge. I've never before seen a cracked minifig head. That's insane! 
    @klinton Could be climate, I suppose, but Michigan is not an extreme climate by any means. Since Lego is worldwide, I imagine their products end up in much more extreme places...that would also lead me to wonder about the overall heartiness of ABS...is it that delicate of a plastic?
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,404
    In the thousands upon thousands of minifigures I own, I have literally never seen a cracked minifigure head. 
    gmonkey76davetheoxygenmanCM4SSumoLegoPitfall69pxchristhedingman5
    That kind of product defect is simply not acceptable.
  • OdeinoichusOdeinoichus CanadaMember Posts: 266

This I can believe. When I bought a second TLM2 Flashback Lucy her torso came out of the package cracked before I even built her. The Cairo Swordsman from the only Indy set I ever managed to get also has a cracked head, one time I was re-assembling it from storage and the head just cracked.

Numerous figures I still have from childhood have cracked torsos in the Classic Castle stuff I still own they of course were played with and such things do tend to lead to breakages, but as an AFOL now I don't expect to see such things occurring. Sadly, it can happen.

• eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 365
    edited May 27
    nerzhin said:
    Looking through my collection and photographing just a few of the cracks to be found. The vintage space figure surprised me, because I thought none of my old stuff had cracked. The Overwatch Bastion set is only a month old, and already having multiple crack issues. Many cracked star wars figures,:
    <<pics>>
    You dó know Lego shouldn’t be assembled using a hammer, right? ;)

all kidding aside, this is both awful and very strange. Climate shouldnt be that much of an issue for a toy coming from Denmark and used in Michigan?! Did you send LCS these pic’s? I am VERY interested in there take on this!
    @eMJeeNL I have sent Lego pictures in the past, but they have just sent me a form letter apology and replaced what parts they could. Even the replacements have cracked sometimes. I would really like to find out how much other people see what I am seeing in their own collections. At a thrift store where I work, their donated legos often have cracks as well, but I don't know how they have been treated before being donated. Once you start looking for cracks, its sad because you start seeing them on everything.
    LittleLori
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,735
    Hulk build!!!
    PyrobugPitfall69gmonkey76
    klinton said:
    It could be a climate thing, eh? I've no idea what the weather is lik there in Michigan, but I'd imagine it's not terribly conducive to the integrity of ABS. 

I've seen a few parts crack over the years, but it's super rare. Only one minifig torso, to my knowledge. I've never before seen a cracked minifig head. That's insane! 
    The weather in Michigan is not that extreme, but the big joke around here is that you can experience all 4 seasons in the same day :) 

Detroit is another matter...
    SumoLego
  • Bludchylde1Bludchylde1 Member Posts: 40
    Pitfall69 said:
    klinton said:

The weather in Michigan is not that extreme, but the big joke around here is that you can experience all 4 seasons in the same day :) 

Detroit is another matter...

That reminds me of early spring. For a couple weeks it was winter gear weather taking the boys to school and then close to shorts weather bringing them home.
    Malkangmonkey76Pitfall69
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 671
    4 seasons in one day? Pah, In Scotland we often get all 4 in the same hour!  Also, no such thing as "close to shorts weather", it's always shorts weather.
    msandersdavetheoxygenmanGothamConstructionCo
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,262
    dmcc0 said:
    4 seasons in one day? Pah, In Scotland we often get all 4 in the same hour!  Also, no such thing as "close to shorts weather", it's always shorts weather.
    I miss the days when any news report about snow in Scotland always ended with "and despite the weather men are still wearing their kilts" ignoring the fact that women were also wearing them/skirts...
    dmcc0 said:
    4 seasons in one day? Pah, In Scotland we often get all 4 in the same hour! 
    That is easy when your climate is:

Spring - rain
    Summer - slightly warm rain
    Autumn - rain
    Winter - cold rain
    PJ76ukBludchylde1davetheoxygenmandmcc0BumblepantsPitfall69LittleLoriGothamConstructionCo
  • ScorpioJWScorpioJW Below sea levelMember Posts: 12
    dmcc0 said:
    I miss the days when any news report about snow in Scotland always ended with "and despite the weather men are still wearing their kilts" ignoring the fact that women were also wearing them/skirts...
    true, but when wearing a kilt something else is usually missing which makes it a lot colder...
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 752
    edited May 29
    dmcc0 said:
    We get as many as three seasons per year up here in the north of England. Spoiler alert: they're all the rubbish ones.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,255
    actually there was some nice sun when I was in scotland
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 671
    ^Must've been here the week of Summer ;)
    Pitfall69gmonkey76
    Here is the best article I could find that's easy to understand for all of us that aren't chemical engineers: 

https://engineering.mit.edu/engage/ask-an-engineer/why-do-plastics-get-brittle-when-they-get-cold/
    CymbelineklintonSeanTheCollector
    They sent me the Dale torso but not the Chip, for some reason.
    It will be interesting to see if this one cracks as well....

LittleLori
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,316
    Pitfall69 said:
    Here is the best article I could find that's easy to understand for all of us that aren't chemical engineers: 

https://engineering.mit.edu/engage/ask-an-engineer/why-do-plastics-get-brittle-when-they-get-cold/
    I believe this points out that in order to be brittle, the plastic must be currently cold. It doesn’t stay brittle because it was once cold. So LEGO stored in a cold place unassembled should be fine, but it might be prone to cracking if it was stored assembled and got too cold, or someone actually built it while it was cold.
    SumoLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,735
    No LEGO beyond the wall.  I suppose that explain why there are GoT LEGO...
    Pitfall69
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,255
    a few of my reddish brown pieces cracked and we don't have really cold weather, it rarely goes negative and indoor it's almost always over 15°
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,342
    Fizyx said:
    Following up for @sid3windr : Got the envelope from LEGO today, and it did contain just the head.  I'm convinced that it must be because it's identical to the Steamboat Willie one, otherwise I bet they would have just send the full bag like they did for you.
    Thanks for the feedback - I only just read it. :-) Interesting that they could indeed pick the specific part, your reasoning makes sense.