Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Brick Live 2019 - Birmingham

Th1nDieselTh1nDiesel UKMember Posts: 474
Early bird tickets for this year's Brick Live event at the NEC in Birmingham (31st October to 3rd November) are now available:

https://bricklive.co.uk

In a strange departure from previous years, they have done away with VIP and general entry tickets and now the day is split into morning and afternoon sessions, with the option to upgrade to a full day for an extra fiver. Now, having been twice before, it's certainly doable in half a day, but this seriously reduces flexibility in terms of travel times, as you are limited to certain arrival times if you want to make the most of the session.
dmcc0

Comments

• nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 866
    At Glasgow last year everyone moaned about the vip contents, and those who wanted in early to get access to 'rare' sets from the retailers got a fright so dropping it is sensible.  Splitting the times up makes sense, lowers expectations of time spent as long as priced accordingly.  

I'm happy it appears they aren't doing Glasgow, less time off work for me and means our Glasgow show is the only one in town, a fact I will be taking advantage of!
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 711
    The VIP benefits were rubbish last year. The whole experience was that much poorer without a major lego retailer there offering interesting freebies, i.e. Brickoctober sets.
  • Th1nDieselTh1nDiesel UKMember Posts: 474
    I agree that the VIP package was pretty naff, and it wasn't much better when I went back in 2015. The main reason we went VIP last year was for the early access, as with two young kids it's nice to get there early, before the crowds get too big. Obviously, that won't be possible this year, but I expect the afternoon sessions will be much busier than the mornings, so if we go again we'll go first thing. Though to speed things up, I'm tempted to leave the kids at home!!
    SeanTheCollector
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,357
    Apparently there won't be an AFOL zone at all at this year's event. 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,056
    Really? So is it just activities aimed at kids this time? 
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,357
    Yes, pretty much.
    ^oh the irony. 
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,897
    No AFOL displays? Really? That's the best part of Brick.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,694
    Presumably it would be like a trip to the Lego store, only with an expensive entry fee.  Cant understand that.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,056
    I think that they are focusing on the hands on activities - which makes sense when you consider they were always more in the market for the family day out than AFOLs who want to see what other AFOLs have made. 
    Lego_Star said:
    No AFOL displays? Really? That's the best part of Brick.
    This is BrickLive though, not Brick.  Different people.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,694
    Will be interesting.  I'm wondering how hands-on it can be?  The last hands on I saw had a large bucket of 2x4s to play with, an RC Technic set to whizz around (slowly) and a group of PS4s hooked up to play LEGO Batman.  Oh, and the marketplace and food hall, if you can call them hands-on