Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Best way to clear out a large collection

I have been collecting for years.  And have filled a room with lego.  I now need the room and have decided to sell off the majority of my collection ( mainly keeping sets that are built and on display ).  I have 30-40 unopened sets ( most from 2013-2014), and hundreds of pounds of lego, about half are sorted into containers by shape and some by color.  What do you think would be the best way to sell?  I have been looking for a reseller in the area that might want it all ( Tallahassee, Florida location incase any of you would be interested) but haven't found one.  So I am thinking about selling in lots on ebay or possibly starting a store on here to clear them out.  I know I have alot of 1980s to 2000s pieces and minifigs.  Just looking for ideas.

Thanks 

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    My suggestion would be to first evaluate the sealed sets and see which ones are selling for a good price and start off offering them here or on eBay. Perhaps bundling sets that are of the same theme. For selling parts if you take nice photos, especially of the well sorted bricks and offer them in lots that might move quickly too. It really just depends on if you are after the most money or getting rid of it fast.
    Fizyx
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    Unopened sets are easy. eBay or bricklink or similar.

The bulk is much harder. Either you need to sort it into sets, or accept low per pound values for bulk.
    Fizyx
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 264
    Yeah, the loose stuff isn't going to bring much in.  If it's sorted then you might be able to pull a bit more.  I know I wold be interested to see what you have.
    Fizyx
  • kbenjeskbenjes Member Posts: 70
    1. List sealed sets on eBay or Bricklink. eBay sells faster, but you may not get what you're looking for (or you could get more!)
    2. You could start listing the the pieces by shape on eBay. You might find some buyers, but you'd be better off finding a nearby bricklink seller and offloading it to them. The stuff sorted by color might sell, but I doubt it. 
    3. The bulk isn't going to go for much unsorted. You could try selling it by the pound on eBay or a local marketplace. Spring is a great time for yard sales and flea markets, so consider getting a table, some ziploc bags, and selling it by the bag.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 976
    As said, sell the unopened sets on ebay....and think about just donating the bulk pieces to a charity or some non profit where you can take a tax deduction.  I think last year I saved like $6 for every $20 value (thrift value) donated.
  • netrunnernetrunner Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information.  A reseller from craigslist bought about half my sets that he was going to ebay ( sold for enough to make a little profit for me and he should have plenty profit left for him).  I am considering ebay for the ones still left after I give craigslist some time.  Not sure about the parts might just box them up in plastic bags int he garage until I have more time to go thru them, especially the minifigs.