Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Monochrome Minifigure Display

Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,395
edited May 8 in Building and Techniques
I have become somewhat (well actually, considerably) addicted to designing and building LEGO displays. I designed and built a LEGO periodic table of elements for my daughter a couple years ago for her college graduation (see attached image). I now want to work on a monochrome minifigure display using a 48x48 gray baseplate with a layer of tiles on top to provide a background design of some sort.

The planned layout of the 48-figure display is as shown in the second attached image below. I know the background design shouldn't distract or overwhelm the minifigures themselves, so I'm trying to determine whether I should just use a solid black or dark bluish gray background OR something a little more colorful. Since I am not artistically gifted, I thought I would put it on the forum to see what ideas other more artistically gifted people might have for the tile layout. There may be other ways to layout the minifigures based on their color. The minifigs with speckles are actually custom chrome minifigs. Also, I will be building a customer frame and welcome input on the frame's color(s) too.

Anyway, feel free to provide your ideas...and thanks in advance!

FizyxdavetheoxygenmanGothamConstructionCopharmjod

Comments

• pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 393
    I don't know that I have any insight about your monofig display, but I have to say that your periodic table of elements is quite fantastic!
    FizyxFarmer_John
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,395
    ^Thanks...a guy that used to frequent Brickset custom engraved and painted the elements for me. My daughter grew up playing with LEGO and was quite ecstatic when she received it.
  • SparkyHamSparkyHam Bristol, UKMember Posts: 126
    My kids and I are slowly building up a collection of monofigs, and have just printed off your 48-figure plan to colour in the parts we've got! Thanks so much : )
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 975
    Having seen quite a few monofig displays, my personal background preference is white.  Colour matched backgrounds tend to lose the figs and Black tends to darken the whole display (particularly with the darker colours of the palette). White brightens the colours up and the figs just seem to ‘pop’ more.
    LittleLoriFarmer_John
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,395
    ^I see what you're saying. Do you think there will be any issues with the white turning yellow over time?
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,172
    ^I see what you're saying. Do you think there will be any issues with the white turning yellow over time?
    Possibly, and there might be issues with getting tiles that are all the same shade of white. On the other hand, shade variations could happen with almost any color other than black.
    Farmer_John
    ^Reminds me of when I installed a few tiled floors in our house...had to make sure I purchased tiles in the same dye lot.