Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

SDCC 2019 Exclusive Minifigures/Sets Discussion

Comments

• piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,129
    Barb is when, Sunday?
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    Barb is when, Sunday?
    She seems to be all over eBay now, at roughly $300
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    Barb was today and she is as low as $150. Spiderman is as low as $200. Zebra Batman is Saturday and none on Sunday.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 611
    vwong19 said:
    Barb was today and she is as low as $150. Spiderman is as low as $200. Zebra Batman is Saturday and none on Sunday.
    What are the days for the Captain Marvel, Batman sets etc..

I did see a few Captain Marvel, and a few Sith Trooper already.. but I assume more will be done each day??
  • Gruff666Gruff666 United KingdomMember Posts: 211
    Thursday for captain marvel and Friday for the Sith Trooper ( and possibly Sunday)
    SDCC Exclusives
    Thursday: PS4 Spiderman (~1500), Captain Marvel set (1500)
    Friday: Stranger Things Barb (~1500), Star Wars Sith Trooper set (1500 of 3000)
    Saturday: Zebra Batman, Batman set (1500)
    Sunday: Star Wars Sith Trooper set (1500 of 3000)

Minifigure quantity are estimated based on length of line and 80% win percentage.
    FireheartmattytreksstluxPitfall69
  • asrfarinhaasrfarinha Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 140
    VorpalRyu said:
    Anyone come across PDFs of the instructions for the sets?
    Sign me up for the instructions as well. I'm looking to build the Batman set.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,148
    kbw said:
    My understanding is they have typically included minfigs already available in the exclusive sets, correct?
    Usually - no.  I don't think they produced most of the SDCC prints elsewhere.  As best as I can recall, Phoenix, Collector, Rocket (Warbird), Arsenal, and a bunch others were prints only available in the SDCC figure.

Bricklink indicates that the Collector torso is unique to the SDCC figure...

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=973pb1868c01&idColor=59#T=S&C=59&O={"color":59,"iconly":0}
    madforLEGO
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,908
    ^ Rocket later came in a ploybag, all the other figures in sdcc sets had already been released.
    VorpalRyu
    SMC said:
    ^ Rocket later came in a ploybag, all the other figures in sdcc sets had already been released.
    I'm not sure what this means?  For 2019?  I'm positive there's no Phoenix or Collector floating around in other sets.
    gmonkey76
    edited July 2019
    @kbw was asking if Captain Marvel from the sdcc set would stay exclusive. In the past all figures in sdcc sets (as in sets with bricks not the blister pack figures) had already been released before they showed up in a sdcc set. The one exception was rocket from the warbird but we later got that in #5002145.

The figures on there own have mostly stayed exclusive except the middle earth ones.
    LyichirSumoLegogmonkey76BrickByBrickVorpalRyuAanchir
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 409
    ^Yes, this is what I’m asking. Sorry for the confusion. 
    SumoLegogmonkey76
    ^ I'm hopeful for a ploybag but who knows.
    SumoLegogmonkey76
    SMC said:
    ^ I'm hopeful for a ploybag but who knows.
    Considering the Rambeau figure doesn't have any exclusive parts, I would certainly hope the Captain Marvel torso turns up somewhere.  It would have been nice to have a second set with Star Force, Yon-Rogg or Wendy Lawson.  (And this version of Vers.)
    kbwVorpalRyu
    The Captain Marvel sets are going for $240. And people are paying for them. That’s higher than last year for sets if my memory is right. Sith Trooper is about $150, and that’s about on par with last year.

There also seems to be less of Captain Marvel sets about on eBay. I wonder how the price of these will go as time go by.. One for the future? 
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    I wonder if Lego will do what Funko did with their SDCC Big Bang Theory Pops....just change stickers and make them available in retail
    ryjay said:
    I wonder if Lego will do what Funko did with their SDCC Big Bang Theory Pops....just change stickers and make them available in retail
    Funny enough I purchased an official SDCC sticker set of the 2019 Big Bang Funkos, as I wanted SDCC official ones, to go with the other SDCC Big Bang funkos I have.
    I hope they will keep the higher value, I know it’s just a sticker but it makes all the difference to collector.
    i also did the same for the Tokyo Toy ones, all official TT stickers instead of shared exclusive.

maybe we will find out how it goes with the LEGO SDCC Sith Trooper, and if this is released as a standard set, with different box art / few pieces. Will the SDCC set version hold if this happens? 
    So apparently there are at least 2 unique torsos just buried in self assembly minifig areas at SDCC for people to find and use, worth taking a look at Beyond the Brick where I saw this

klintonThe_RancorReesesPiecesFowlerBricksLittleLorimadforLEGO
    The quality of the unannounced 3 exclusive torso prints are not the best in terms of resolution, color and intensity. It’s nice, but appears to have used a different print method. On eBay from $30-50. Should drop as more people flood the market with these, although I’m not sure how many are available. These are more likely to get into the hands of children and destroyed.
    mattytreksstluxFireheartFizyx
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 800
    Seeing as I will likely be piecing #77903 together from Bricklink, has there been any thought or discussion on reproducing (what I think we agreed was) the sticker?  Follow on question would be for the sale and distribution.  I know this could be a sensitive topic amongst us fans, but just curious.
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 276
    Still no instructions wow
    vwong19 said:

After collecting a full year of SDCC eBay sales, you can see how prices for 2018 figures have fluctuated. Prices for each figure pre-sold for higher prices and then eventually dropped and stabilized as the market demand caught up with supply. Marvel Deadpool has seen an increase in price since March 2019 and continues to increase as we approach SDCC 2019. DC Black Lightning doesn’t show as much interest as prices has remained steady (~$100) much like Vixen in 2017. 

Depending on distribution this year, prices for both 2019 DC and Marvel may probably reflect Sheriff Deadpool with prices stabilizing  around $250.

Lego SDCC 2019 Spider-Man and Batman appears to be trending like last years Deadpool, both currently at $250. Probably expect the prices to dip a little more before it rebounds up.

Barb is currently around $180 and will fall even more, but probably not below $120 (Vixen/Black Lightning territory).
    mattytrekskbw
  • mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 196
    I was not expecting Barb to have such a precipitous drop-off – yet, at least.

The show is extremely popular, is in full swing, and she’s a sentimental favorite.

That said, what Barb does not have, is decades of popularity and staying power like a Batman or Spider-Man... 
    kbwvwong19
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,343
    Also there are probably fewer people currently collecting Stranger Things merch in general than either spidey or Batman as a result of the last point. 
    Speaking of prices, I was randomly looking at listings for Sheriff Deadpool yesterday and found 3 on eBay. I was pretty shocked these were listing prices/opening bids. Really impressed with the shipping charge on the bottom one, btw 

Just goes to show you can list items at whatever price you like.

These are still selling fairly high...

But not that high.
    kbwmadforLEGO
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 867
    Shib said:
    Also there are probably fewer people currently collecting Stranger Things merch in general than either spidey or Batman as a result of the last point. 
    Another factor is that Barb's only value to collectors is filling out a collection that they've already started with the expensive Stranger Things set. Even if somebody is a fan of Stranger Things, there's not much point in getting her if you haven't already bought (or plan on buying) the set with most of the actual main cast, which hasn't been out for very long yet.
    dmcc0Aanchir
    A quick read about the Lego line at SDCC
    https://medium.com/@writtenby.kim/the-lego-exclusive-mini-figure-line-at-san-diego-comic-con-2019-519f86e3029f

I would venture to guess they never got a chance to touch the iPad. Based on her story she was 3000th in line.
    vwong19 said:
    A quick read about the Lego line at SDCC
    https://medium.com/@writtenby.kim/the-lego-exclusive-mini-figure-line-at-san-diego-comic-con-2019-519f86e3029f

I would venture to guess they never got a chance to touch the iPad. Based on her story she was 3000th in line.
    Her story doesn't add up, and kind of seems like a smear campaign.

She says she "got into line at 6am".  We all know that's impossible because the doors to the convention center don't even open until 6:30am to let the masses waiting in the "Everything Else" line into the building -- which means the actual  "LEGO minfigure" line doesn't really form up in Sails Pavilion until at least 6:35am.  Furthermore, if she were to have gotten into the minfigure line at that time, that would suggest she'd have been at or near the front; certainly not 1,000 people back or 3,000 people back as she wrote.

Also the story feels incomplete.  Did they draw and win?  Draw and lose?  Perhaps they bailed and no longer wanted to wait?  Or an even more crushing blow...did LEGO run out of minifigures before they got to draw?

One thing is for sure: that first picture in the article tells you all you need to know about the minifigure lines at San Diego: they can get really long.  The location of the line in that shot was directly in front of the Dragon Ball Tour offsite, which stretches about as far back from the convention center you possibly imagine a line ever getting.  And I'm sure at it's apex, the line that day may have even gotten as far back as Seaport Village.
    stluxvwong19
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 831
    The fact that the line is not monitored sucks. It's always frustrating when the single person in front of you suddenly adds 10 of his friends to the queue, and then they go on and add even more etc. Telling them off doesn't usually work either, unless it's someone in an official capacity who can boot them from the line.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,343
    It reads to me as "I'm pissef off with my husband that we're having to queue for something I don't want and need to vent but owe him so can't vent at him" 

It's a fair point that it's a crazy line when your aren't garunteed to get the thing and LEGO should address that but there would still be a long queue to collect pre won figures
    stluxGothamConstructionCoFizyxBaby_Yoda
    I found a tweet with a random picture of my group for the PS4 Spider-Man drawing. We stood/sat on the stairs for 3 hours happily waiting for our opportunity to touch the iPad.
    https://twitter.com/iwant20roses/status/1151866735961620487?s=21

From talking to people in the Lego line, many collect the SDCC Lego minifigure but 90% have never heard of Brickset (besides @mattytreks and a few others). The people who line up are toy collectors, comic book fans, but many are friends of hardcore fans who invite their friends to wait for improved odds (usually in exchange for favors).

If anyone is thinking of attending SDCC in the future, you need to plan ahead and work with people. The odds of success riding solo are not good. The convention area is about a mile radius, with start times often not made public. Even when informed, things can change without warning and line cutting can also be simply line holding. 
    Fireheartkbwmattytreks
    edited July 2019
    ^Sounds like a team event..
    A comic book store in the US I buy items from suddenly popped up on their eBay with 6 x Captain Marvel, 4 x Sith Trooper, and 4 x Batman sets... plus they had multiple Spider-Man, Batman and Barb minifigures..
    I did think of the efforts they had to go to, to be able to be successful in getting all these.. and the number of people involved..
    Pays all their costs though in attending the event, so well done to them.. plus it gives everyone a chance to get their hands on them. Especially when it’s a buy it now, and not an auction. 
    Gooker1
    vwong19 said:
    I found a tweet with a random picture of my group for the PS4 Spider-Man drawing. We stood/sat on the stairs for 3 hours happily waiting for our opportunity to touch the iPad.
    https://twitter.com/iwant20roses/status/1151866735961620487?s=21

From talking to people in the Lego line, many collect the SDCC Lego minifigure but 90% have never heard of Brickset (besides @mattytreks and a few others). The people who line up are toy collectors, comic book fans, but many are friends of hardcore fans who invite their friends to wait for improved odds (usually in exchange for favors).

If anyone is thinking of attending SDCC in the future, you need to plan ahead and work with people. The odds of success riding solo are not good. The convention area is about a mile radius, with start times often not made public. Even when informed, things can change without warning and line cutting can also be simply line holding. 
    Lol. My brother-in-law lives near SD and we occasionally visit this time year. I had this idea last year that I was just going to show up and attend. So naive. The more I learn about it, the more ridiculous that sounds now. 
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    Is it just me or is anyone else sick or all these Batman sets/exclusives from Lego? Why have a DC superheroes theme when it's really just Batman with a few different heroes here and there
    Gooker1jnscoelho
  • IwantmorelegosIwantmorelegos USAMember Posts: 42
    This year was my 27th SDCC in a row. I am in the Lego line every year with a small group of friends. Every year the line gets a little longer and thicker (thicker because of more people joining friends). That is just how SDCC works. Someone holds a line for you, you hold a line for them, some days someone runs late or needs to run somewhere for something. Your not going to stop peoples families or friends from joining them in line. Always expect the line in front of you to at least double. It is just the nature of a giant busy event where everything has a line. This year we got in the main (everything but Hall H) line at 5am every day. That line lets into the convention center where you go to other lines (which are sometimes back outside the convention center). For Spider-man we were about 2 flights of stairs above that picture vwong19 posted. For Barb we were about 50 feet off the stairs on the boardwalk. For Batman we were all the way down at Ray's (the circular building in the picture the lady posted). We were pretty close to missing out on Batman. I would say they had about 100 to 200 left after we got through the line so that lady was probably really close to where they ran out. I thought this year it was great that they did it early so that you were not in the sun during the middle of the day for 3 to 4 hours. And with it being so early you still had the rest of the day to do other stuff.

The one thing I would say SDCC or Lego needs to improve on is to put some more restrictions on the ADA. By the time you get anywhere near any line it is already extremely long with a bunch of ADA badges who are not ADA.
    vwong19mattytreks
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    Drmnez said:
    Is it just me or is anyone else sick or all these Batman sets/exclusives from Lego? Why have a DC superheroes theme when it's really just Batman with a few different heroes here and there

Because like he said in the movie. DC, the house that Batman Built.
    VorpalRyuPitfall69dmcc0
    @Iwantmorelegos- I wish I could like your comment 50 times.  Everything you said was pragmatic and spot-on.

I’ve come to find that people at or near the front of the minifigure lines are infinitely more forgiving in terms of others in front of them holding spots for friends or family.

Really where the sensitivity around this starts to ratchet up is the part of the line along the waterfront.  And that makes sense because what people back there don’t want happening is for LEGO to run out of minifigures before they have the chance to draw.  Easiest way to combat this: arrive as early as you feel comfortable arriving.

I for one am a proponent of line-holding.  That said, it does seem like CCI’s policy for the minifigure line absolutely differs from that of a Hall H line or an Everything Else line, in that I am constantly seeing volunteers and security stationed at various parts of the LEGO line to ensure no one is “cutting”.  But what is “cutting” in their eyes may truly be “joining” to us.  So the line gets a bit blurry there, and not sure there’s an easy way to solve that.

Here are my personal observations this year: I was with a group just about at the very front of the line each of the three days (Thurs-Sat).  I’m talking no more than 10 people in front of us when we initially joined the line.  Thursday and Friday that number swelled to around 25 people once the drawing started, due to the various friends and family of the group in front of us joining in line.  Similarly our group increased in size from 5 to around 15 with wives and children joining later.  At that part of the line, there was absolutely, positively zero resistance from other line-goers, volunteers, or security about people joining other people in line.

Then on Saturday, something changed and I don’t know quite what.  Tension felt significantly higher that day and for unknown reasons, volunteers watchers and security were beefed up to extraordinary levels – to the extent we had a volunteer AND two security guards watching just our little top portion of the line (included a picture of this below).  Unlike the two prior days, family members were no longer allowed to join us in line...even young children.  I can’t imagine what it was like further below...

vwong19
    @ Aanchir     All I am saying is that watching the lines around SDCC for hours upon hours for years there is major abuse of the ADA system. I do not have a solution, I'm just saying it is an obvious problem. I've had personal contact with attendees that have freely said they are not ADA but got it to help with lines. It is one of those things where abuse ruins it for those who truly need it.
    @ mattytreks    How do you get that close to the front of the line, especially on Saturday?
    edited July 2019
    @ mattytreks    How do you get that close to the front of the line, especially on Saturday?
    By being at or near the front of the Everything Else line outside, and then promptly racing straight up to the minifigure line the moment our EE line was let into the building around 6:15am-6:30am.

I'm sure the next question will then be: How do you get to the front of the EE line?

That, my friend, would be dedication, commitment, and extreme organization amongst people :)
    edited July 2019
    Oh no, I know how you get to the front of the Everything Else line. I'm just getting too old for that much time in line on hard ground. I am to the point that if I miss something I really want I just suck it up and pay the ebay price or live without. My days of Camping for Hall H or exclusives are behind me.
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 276
    Got the part list for the Captain Marvel set and all parts are ordered. I cannot wait
    mattytreks
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,575
    It's a shame they don't just enter all attendees into the drawings as part of the ticket purchase, eliminating the need for lines entirely. Then everybody could just enjoy the show instead of waiting around in lines.
    Jern92Toc13pharmjod
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,806
    vwong19 said:
    The quality of the unannounced 3 exclusive torso prints are not the best in terms of resolution, color and intensity. It’s nice, but appears to have used a different print method. On eBay from $30-50. Should drop as more people flood the market with these, although I’m not sure how many are available. These are more likely to get into the hands of children and destroyed.
    I get these are exclusives, but if they have a ton of them here is to hoping these pop into Build a fig bars in LEGO stores at some point.

vwong19
    It's a shame they don't just enter all attendees into the drawings as part of the ticket purchase, eliminating the need for lines entirely. Then everybody could just enjoy the show instead of waiting around in lines.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have never attended a Comic-Con before.

We have already been down this road before (last year, in fact)...and it didn't pan out well, at all.  In 2018 LEGO and CCI foolishly allowed the minifigures to be a part of the Comic-Con Exclusives lottery, meaning all *attendees would have a shot at winning the minifigure.

Here are the flaws with your approach:

1.) You see that asterisk up by the word "attendees"?  That wasn't a typo.  That meant all adult attendees could enter to win -- not young children or teens.  That's right...not a single child or teen won a single minifigure in 2018, and there were probably 7,500-9,000 in total handed out.  How incredibly obtuse of the people making this decision.

2.) The lines you said would not exist, did.  In fact, the lines last year to pick up the minifigures people knew they had already won, was just as long as the lines in this and prior "lottery" years.

3.) By late Sunday afternoon last year, there were scores of unclaimed minifigures that could not be given away fast enough to last-minute attendees.  This distribution process up in Sails Pavilion was less than organized, and information as to the time and location of the distribution seemingly changed by the minute.

I will forever and always be in the camp of people who believe rewards should be the result of hard work, effort, and careful planning, rather than by sheer luck of some mass-lottery than anyone can just frivolously enter with the click of a mouse button.

I was asked earlier how I was able to get so close to the front of the minifigure line.  That was not by chance or accident.  Ultimately people who really want these minifigures are going to sacrifice one of the following: time or money.  I choose to sacrifice several hours of my time each day, patiently waiting in lines to be near the front.  Others will choose to pay the going rate by making a purchase on eBay.

The process in it's current state is the best option, going forward.  Now you just need to choose what you'll sacrifice: time, or money.  And to be honest, if you are an attendee, you're technically sacrificing both -- SDCC is not at all cheap; especially for out-of-towners needing lodging.
    vwong19Gruff666Fireheart
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you have never attended a Comic-Con before.

We have already been down this road before (last year, in fact)...and it didn't pan out well, at all.  In 2018 LEGO and CCI foolishly allowed the minifigures to be a part of the Comic-Con Exclusives lottery, meaning all *attendees would have a shot at winning the minifigure.

Here are the flaws with your approach:

1.) You see that asterisk up by the word "attendees"?  That wasn't a typo.  That meant all adult attendees could enter to win -- not young children or teens.  That's right...not a single child or teen won a single minifigure in 2018, and there were probably 7,500-9,000 in total handed out.  How incredibly obtuse of the people making this decision.

2.) The lines you said would not exist, did.  In fact, the lines last year to pick up the minifigures people knew they had already won, was just as long as the lines in this and prior "lottery" years.

3.) By late Sunday afternoon last year, there were scores of unclaimed minifigures that could not be given away fast enough to last-minute attendees.  This distribution process up in Sails Pavilion was less than organized, and information as to the time and location of the distribution seemingly changed by the minute.

I will forever and always be in the camp of people who believe rewards should be the result of hard work, effort, and careful planning, rather than by sheer luck of some mass-lottery than anyone can just frivolously enter with the click of a mouse button.

I was asked earlier how I was able to get so close to the front of the minifigure line.  That was not by chance or accident.  Ultimately people who really want these minifigures are going to sacrifice one of the following: time or money.  I choose to sacrifice several hours of my time each day, patiently waiting in lines to be near the front.  Others will choose to pay the going rate by making a purchase on eBay.

The process in it's current state is the best option, going forward.  Now you just need to choose what you'll sacrifice: time, or money.  And to be honest, if you are an attendee, you're technically sacrificing both -- SDCC is not at all cheap; especially for out-of-towners needing lodging.

Biggest sacrifice is comfortable sleeping. LOL

Well said!
    If they're concerned about line-cutting - it's easy enough to pass out bar-coded or electronic placeholders.  Or have Con-Goers use an app for automatic queuing.  

And there's a difference between 'civilians' complaining about folks with ADA badges and event staff or vendor staff asking for 'proof' or fancying themselves the disability police.  The staff people should be competently trained and be aware that asking to prove a disability is truly inappropriate.
    klintonBaby_Yoda
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,188
    Absolutely. Those peope have already been vetted, via the distribution process for the badges to begin with. At the end of the day, it could very well be kindly friends and/or family slogging in line on their behalf to prevent undue further discomfort. 
    LyichirSumoLegoBaby_Yoda