Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

SDCC 2019 Exclusive Minifigures/Sets Discussion

Comments

• ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 936
    That is a great fig to have for sdcc.  It is a very detailed variant of an existing character which I think is perfect for these sdcc giveaways.  I'm guessing it is the spiderman from the ps4 game?
    BrickByBrickLittleLori
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,678
    NOO!!! GOSH DARN IT!! Of all the Comic Con figs, this is the only one I've ever really really wanted. :( Why Lego.
  • mattytreksmattytreks San Diego, CAMember Posts: 196
    NOO!!! GOSH DARN IT!! Of all the Comic Con figs, this is the only one I've ever really really wanted. :( Why Lego.
    I’m not suggesting you spend beyond your means, but if it’s something you want, it will be readily available on eBay after the convention.  It’s price might even cool off in 3-6 months.
    kbw
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 611
    The SDCC minifigure collecting is not normally my thing.. but I have to say this one got my attention.. I can see this starting an expensive back collection..

can I assume we are only getting two boxed LEGO sets this year (DC and Marvel), or will a Star Wars one still be announced??
    Fireheart said:
    The SDCC minifigure collecting is not normally my thing.. but I have to say this one got my attention.. I can see this starting an expensive back collection..

can I assume we are only getting two boxed LEGO sets this year (DC and Marvel), or will a Star Wars one still be announced??
    100% confirmed we are getting a Star Wars set, as well.  Stay tuned!

And if you have the means, back-collecting SDCC exclusives is a very fun endeavor :)
    Fireheart
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,678
    I’m not suggesting you spend beyond your means, but if it’s something you want, it will be readily available on eBay after the convention.  It’s price might even cool off in 3-6 months.
    Maybe. I think it will always be too pricey more me to actually justify purchasing though.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,148
    Whew... happy to have dodged another SDCC exclusive.  Now I can start fretting about 2021's potential GotG3 exclusive SDCC figure.
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 409
    We have our first SDCC exclusive minifigure announcement – and it’s certainly a household name.

WANT
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    According to SDCCBLOG, this won't even be a part of the exclusive portal.  Looks like instant win random draw.  Possibly similar to what we had two years ago.  Which means long lines of people waiting up at the sails.  Yay?  
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,185
    ^ As opposed to long lines of people waiting up at the sails?
    Pitfall69gmonkey76
    vwong19 said:
    ^ As opposed to long lines of people waiting up at the sails?
    Moreso as you knew you were a winner last year and you waited in line for it, instead of a random chance of waiting in line for a few hours to lose.  

To confirm what @mattytreks mentioned regarding another Star Wards exclusive....
    Pitfall69Fireheart
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    All of this just solidifies my stance that whatever Lego does, whether it's an exclusive or not, there will be people that will complain. I'm not saying anyone is complaining in this thread; I'm just talking in general. I like the Spiderman minifigure and it is great that it is a variant and not a one-off, but this will also tick off people that are HUGE Spiderman fans. Lego can't win no matter what they do.
    Switchfoot55mattytreks
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 729
    edited June 2019
    The urge to start back collecting exclusives is becoming harder and harder to resist...the fact I would be slaughtered if I tried is neither here nor there...
    dmcc0
    ^ It's all about the hunt!
    mattytreksPitfall69
  • ArtfulDodgerArtfulDodger Member Posts: 106
    edited June 2019
    SumoLego said:
    Whew... happy to have dodged another SDCC exclusive.  Now I can start fretting about 2021's potential GotG3 exclusive SDCC figure.
    If its GotG3, it'll probably be a classic Adam Warlock minifig.
    Pitfall69SumoLego
  • ArtfulDodgerArtfulDodger Member Posts: 106
    So if Lego were to make more of these comic book cover dioramas, which comic book covers do you think would make the best candidates for this?
    So if Lego were to make more of these comic book cover dioramas, which comic book covers do you think would make the best candidates for this?
    Definitely Daredevil: Marvel Knights #3. They would have to remove the cross, but still retain the rest of the backdrop.
    SumoLego
    I just scrolled through the Instagram comments for this LEGO announcement. Quit a bit of unhappiness there. 
    These become pretty available on eBay after SDCC, albeit for a price. I am curious how much a SDCC ticket costs and how much waiting is required to get these things. Isn’t there a lottery system associated with this too? Guess what I’m getting at is the figures aren’t “free” and that it *may* be more cost effective to get one on eBay anyway once you factor in time and attendance. Is that a fair statement or completely wrong on my part?
    Gruff666
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,262
    It’s cost effective to buy a figure on EBay if you live half way around the world and really want it. The travel, accommodation, tickets and food and drink all add up, plus you’re removing temptation by not buying anything else that might’ve been at the con for sale!
    kbwGruff666Fireheart
  • Gruff666Gruff666 United KingdomMember Posts: 211
    When will be the best time to pick one the of the exclusives up? During the SDCC when there are a few for sale or wait a few weeks after? 
    The the worst time to buy is before the con and during the con. A couple weeks after, the price stabilizes. October and December tend to be low months. Of course there are always deals to be had if you watch eBay like a hawk.
    ReesesPiecesgmonkey76mattytreks
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 936
    vwong19 said:
    The the worst time to buy is before the con and during the con. A couple weeks after, the price stabilizes. October and December tend to be low months. Of course there are always deals to be had if you watch eBay like a hawk.
    I believe @vwong19 did a pretty detailed tracking of the pricing for last year's so he would be the one to listen to.

Anyone thinking of chasing down every Lego Spider-Man or SDCC Exclusive must start with this ultra rare figure. In 2013, Lego decided to only give about 350 of a movie based Spider-Man to some lucky SDCC attendees. Additionally, Lego gave out three other figures on different days of the 2013 event with reported counts of 200-350 each.

Assuming PS4 Spider-Man is of similar production (~1500) to 2014-2018, then prices should be somewhat more palatable by comparison. 

Also note that when someone buys one of these rare figures, the value is generally retained or may appreciate. Although as difficult as it was to seek and buy all four 2013 SDCC figures on EBay back when it was distributed, having been shutout during the lottery that year, I appreciate the opportunity the secondary market afforded me in acquiring them. I spent $400 on each willingly and figured if I ever decide to leave the hobby, I can always sell it at a later date and get my money back. I still have the figures and they are among my most prized Lego possessions. 
    mattytreksalldarkerPitfall69
    If anyone would like to see the Lego SDCC sales prices I’d be happy to PM them to you.
    vwong19 said:
    If anyone would like to see the Lego SDCC sales prices I’d be happy to PM them to you.
    If you can send me some that would be great. I'm afraid that this figure may start my SDCC marvel collection off
    vwong19
  • Brick_BreakdownBrick_Breakdown TorontoMember Posts: 90
    vwong19 said:

Anyone thinking of chasing down every Lego Spider-Man or SDCC Exclusive must start with this ultra rare figure. In 2013, Lego decided to only give about 350 of a movie based Spider-Man to some lucky SDCC attendees. Additionally, Lego gave out three other figures on different days of the 2013 event with reported counts of 200-350 each.

Assuming PS4 Spider-Man is of similar production (~1500) to 2014-2018, then prices should be somewhat more palatable by comparison. 

Also note that when someone buys one of these rare figures, the value is generally retained or may appreciate. Although as difficult as it was to seek and buy all four 2013 SDCC figures on EBay back when it was distributed, having been shutout during the lottery that year, I appreciate the opportunity the secondary market afforded me in acquiring them. I spent $400 on each willingly and figured if I ever decide to leave the hobby, I can always sell it at a later date and get my money back. I still have the figures and they are among my most prized Lego possessions. 
    Yeah, I spent $1000 on 2013 SDCC Spiderman they are now selling for ~$2000, I've been considered selling them all. I have a complete SDCC/NYTF collection except for 2013 Spider-woman. Lego will probably continue with ~1500 units. I look forward to the DC figure. I love the 2 sets, wish the 80 years brick was printed :/. 
    vwong19 said:

Assuming PS4 Spider-Man is of similar production (~1500) to 2014-2018, then prices should be somewhat more palatable by comparison. 

Also note that when someone buys one of these rare figures, the value is generally retained or may appreciate. Although as difficult as it was to seek and buy all four 2013 SDCC figures on EBay back when it was distributed, having been shutout during the lottery that year, I appreciate the opportunity the secondary market afforded me in acquiring them. I spent $400 on each willingly and figured if I ever decide to leave the hobby, I can always sell it at a later date and get my money back. I still have the figures and they are among my most prized Lego possessions. 
    Yeah, I spent $1000 on 2013 SDCC Spiderman they are now selling for ~$2000, I've been considered selling them all. I have a complete SDCC/NYTF collection except for 2013 Spider-woman. Lego will probably continue with ~1500 units. I look forward to the DC figure. I love the 2 sets, wish the 80 years brick was printed :/. 
    I have every SDCC Marvel/DC minifigure going back to 2014 + the 2013 Spider-Woman.

Unless I come upon a windfall, I really don’t know if I’d be able to justify procuring the remaining 3 2013’s – as much as I’d absolutely love to.

I may end up having to skip the remaining 2013’s and move into the colorful and vibrant 2012 minifigs.
  • Brick_BreakdownBrick_Breakdown TorontoMember Posts: 90
    I have every SDCC Marvel/DC minifigure going back to 2014 + the 2013 Spider-Woman.

Unless I come upon a windfall, I really don’t know if I’d be able to justify procuring the remaining 3 2013’s – as much as I’d absolutely love to.

I may end up having to skip the remaining 2013’s and move into the colorful and vibrant 2012 minifigs.
    Haha I got 3/4 2013 ones, I got the 2011/2012 as well. 2011 Green Lantern and Dark Knight are great figures. 2 years ago somebody on brick set forum was selling the NYTF Ironman and Captain America with the lanyard and packaging was lucky to pick them up. The last one sold on ebay was $25k which is kind of crazy. I am kind of out of the collect everything mode nowadays so I can't really justify dropping $2500 on spider-woman. I probably would not spend $500-1000. I am happy keeping up with them for $100-200 a figure though. Hopefully the DC figure is more exciting. Probably another CW figure like it's been since 2013. I woudnt mind a CW Flash or one of the legends of Tomorrow characters
    Some LEGO SDCC news that is not exclusive in nature...

https://www.cbr.com/sdcc-lego-star-wars-obi-wan-hut-luke-landspeeder-sets/

Two news Star Wars sets will debut at SDCC, which won’t “officially” go on sale until January 2020 – and by debut I do believe they’ll actually be available for sale at SDCC.

Neat sets.

75270 – Obi-Wan’s Hut
    200 pieces | Age 7+
    29.99 (USD)
    Available January 1st, 2020

75271 – Luke Skywalker’s Landspeeder
    236 pieces | Age 7+
    29.99 (USD)
    Available January 1st, 2020
    Baby_Yoda
    ^To piggyback off this, I believe #76144 will be revealed at SDCC, but will go on sale in November 

76144 Avengers Hulk Helicopter Drop. The 482-piece LEGO MarvelAvengers: Endgame set hits store shelves November 25 and will retail at US $59.99.
    SumoLego
    edited July 2019
    November?  I suppose that'll coincide with the third theatrical re-release of Endgame.

That's a long time to wait to complete my white-suit Avenger set.  Blah.  Here's hoping that they add some other set with a... a... Valkyrie and a Pegasus!
    kbwgmonkey76dmcc0Pitfall69FowlerBricksVorpalRyu
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,313
    ^ Valkyrie? Isn't she slated to be the SDCC exclusive minifig for 2021, as 2020 will again be a Deadpool variant?
    SumoLego
    edited July 2019
    VorpalRyu said:
    ^ Valkyrie?
    You're a funny guy.  Maybe it'll be a Iron Gauntlet Iron Man variant.

Oh wait, I would want that too.  

Maybe it'll be a Kraglin exclusive.  Blech, nevermind, I want that as well.  I vote for interminable Deadpool variations.

Here's one - Night Monkey.  Enjoy.
    FowlerBricksVorpalRyu
    Batman is joining Spider-Man at SDCC this year.  I need both right now.

vwong19kbwPitfall69SumoLegostluxBaby_Yoda
    LOL  it's a super fun variant, but thankfully this isn't a must have for me.  I won't be bummed if I lose on this.  

The Spider-man tho...
    kbwSumoLego
    Will that be it for the minfigs or is there one more? Not sure how many they normally release for SDCC. 
    Some years have been 2, but we’ve seen 4 (2 from other themes such as Lego Movie, hobbit, or bionicle).
    kbw
    Still hoping for a 3rd minifigure of the SDCC Toucan, as a nod to the 50th anniversary of Comic-Con.
    kbwPitfall69Fireheart
  • DrmnezDrmnez USA, Planet earth Member Posts: 859
    Ugh all these Batman mf are super lame
    SumoLego
    (Hard pass for me... whew!)
    kbw
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 517
    [blinkers ON]
    There is no such think as SDCC or NYTF exclusive minifigures, they just do not exist...
    [blinkers OFF]
    As with this year’s exclusive sets, also a big step back from last year with this year’s minifigure package artwork, too.

LEGO set the bar so high last year on their packaging.
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 1,262
    I’d hate to be one of the people who has tried to colllect every Batman since the beginning. 
    SumoLegokbw
    Sith trooper bust images out there
    Fireheart
    ...and we have what may be our final SDCC LEGO exclusive reveal, save for possibly a third minifigure to be distributed on Sunday of Conic-Con.  Without further ado...

Red Sith Trooper Bust

Fireheart
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 611
    edited July 2019
    Interesting that Captain Marvel and Batman SDCC sets have only “special limited edition” on the box, and the Star Wars has “special limited edition” and  “early release edition”... I take it the Sith trooper will be a general released at a later time with a few minor modifications, that make all the difference to the SDCC collectors..
    mattytreks
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    Does anyone know anything about the LEGO BUILDERS' AUTHORITY that approved the set?

SMC
    You know what this means? You will need the Darth Vader bust now ;)
    mattytreksSwitchfoot55