Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Store labels

PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 298
Hi, is there an easy method for removing store labels from Lego boxes without damaging them? Going through my backlog to divest myself of some themes I'm not really interested in and realise many of them have thick stickers on the boxes that need removing prior to reselling.

Apologies if there is already a thread on this but I've used the search function to look for help on this to no avail.

Comments

• Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,310
    Take a hairdryer and hold over the sticker for a few seconds and then peel off slowly.
    PapaBearmadforLEGOLittleLoriPJ76uk
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 345
    Pitfall69 said:
    Take a hairdryer and hold over the sticker for a few seconds and then peel off slowly.
    ^^ This! And, as you pull it off, use the back of the sticker itself to pry up residual glue as you go. Just dab it against the remaining glue it will pull it up.
    Pitfall69AstrobricksmadforLEGOLittleLoriPJ76uk
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    My preference is the product named Un-Du Adhesive Remover. It removes stickers and sticker residue with no trace. It works really well, but quite expensive. However, you only need a few drops per adhesive.
    PJ76uk
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    Or isopropyl alcohol works well. Also known as camera lens cleaner (but that costs about 20x more by volume).
    LittleLoriPJ76uk
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,172
    Going forward, make sure you remove them as soon as possible. They only get harder to remove the longer you wait. Typically I remove them by prying up a corner with a fingernail and just pulling verrrrry gently and slowly. And that trick of using the sticker itself to pull up any remaining adhesive.
    madforLEGOpreveregmonkey76LittleLoriPJ76uk
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 466
    Naphtha (lighter fluid) also works well.  It was one of the go to products before citrus oil cleaners hit the market.  Naphtha works well on even old stickers and tape. I recently removed a 40+ year old damaged sticker from a Samsonite box.  Naphtha may look like it might stain, but does evaporate cleanly and leaves no residue behind.
    madforLEGOLittleLoriPJ76uk
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,172
    Naphtha (lighter fluid) also works well.  It was one of the go to products before citrus oil cleaners hit the market.  Naphtha works well on even old stickers and tape. I recently removed a 40+ year old damaged sticker from a Samsonite box.  Naphtha may look like it might stain, but does evaporate cleanly and leaves no residue behind.
    CCC said:
    Or isopropyl alcohol works well. Also known as camera lens cleaner (but that costs about 20x more by volume).
    Interesting that there are liquid products you can use that do not damage a cardboard box. However, I would caution that most people who have isopropyl alcohol around probably have something called rubbing alcohol, which has water in it, and would probably harm the box if applied too generously.
    PJ76uk
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 298
    edited March 30
    Cheers all, will give the hairdryer tip a try first! Got a small Jurassic World set I can try it on...