Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Review & Interview with fan designer of Machu Picchu ideas project (LEGO Architecture)

I had the pleasure of building an intricate LEGO Ideas model of Machu Picchu, built in the style of the official LEGO Architecture sets.  The model was designed by Diego Baca, a proud Peruvian who wanted to help LEGO enthusiasts learn more about the globally recognized UNESCO World Heritage site.

Not only did Diego build the model both digitally and using LEGO bricks, he also created a beautiful instruction manual in the style of official LEGO Architecture sets, and a matching glossy box.  I had a lot of fun building the model using the easy-to-follow directions.  

The completed model is immediately recognizable, and looks great next to the official sets, especially the recent Great Wall set which also features historic architecture in a mountainous landscape.

For an longer, in-depth review of the set and an interview with Diego about his project, you can read the whole article at https://brickarchitect.com/2019/lego_ideas_machu-picchu-diego-baca/

If you want a chance to build it, be sure to vote for it on the LEGO Ideas site!

Sincerely,
—Tom
BumblepantsstluxpxchrisFowlerBricks

Comments

• sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 478

It's a lovely set, and beautifully presented, but will Ideas accept new projects for an established theme?

I hope they will, because I'd enjoy adding this to my (deliberately incomplete) Ideas collection. (I do intend collecting all the Skyline sets, but not every single building; only the ones I find particularly interesting or attractive. This definitely is both!)

• sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 478
    OK, stupid question--a set which is almost at 10,000 has obviously been cleared by the Ideas staff! Of course I've added my vote too. Thank you for sharing your review with us Bricksetters!
  • henrysunsethenrysunset Member Posts: 230
    sklamb said:
    a set which is almost at 10,000 has obviously been cleared by the Ideas staff!

I'm sure that the LEGO Ideas staff is aware of the project, since it was a featured project in the past, and has not been disqualified by their criteria.  Being in an established theme is not against the rules to my knowledge, so long as that theme is not a licensed theme.  Architecture is clearly not a licensed theme, so I think it is a valid submission.

The more important question is how it fares in the internal review process...  If the set is not selected, we may never know if it was immediately dismissed due to relationship to an established theme, or if it makes it to final review before being dismissed at the end of the process for one of many reasons.  

I guess all we can do is vote, help it reach 10k, and see what happens!
    sklamb
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,551
    Well designed. I like that it is already buildable. It would be nice to see more stuff from S. America. Apart from the Brazilian Olympic Mascots I can't think of anything else Lego has done in that part of the world unless you count licensed product like Indiana Jones Peru in Peril.