Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Are there any Lego groups in the Chicagoland area aside of the Train group?

momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
edited January 2012 in Community and Events
I just was curious as to why the Chicago area does not have a LUG group or anything that I can find for Lego? Does anyone in the area know of one? Would anyone in the Chicago area like to be part of a Lego group? I am interested in hearing responses. Thanks!

Comments

• Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    I would like to be in a LUG. I am just as surprised as you that all there is the NILTC. With all of the people that attend Brickworld locally, there has to be enough interest.
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    Rainstorm26....let's hope some more people respond. It is such a big area for no Lego group.
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    I am surprised that on the Brickset member map there are only 3-4 people in the area (at least that are willing to say they are from the area).
  • scratchdeskscratchdesk Member Posts: 155
    I am in the western burbs.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    Hi Folks, I was really surprised also that there was no lug in Chicagoland. I am from the Rockford area but would be willing to travel. I have been looking for one for about two years. There was a club started in 2008 in Deerfield that is now defunked as far as I can tell. I think there might be one in Peoria if I am remembering correctly.
    I know there are more people on the forum from around here. I remember people mentioning it in the post.
    If all the people interested could get on the brickset map (http://www.bricksetforum.com/discussion/2538/brickset-community-map-project-show-us-where-you-are#Item_70) it would be easier to get a count of how many people are around and are interested.
    We did sign ourselves up on the map. We are in New Lenox, IL. We would travel also. My son is almost 16, so I don't think he is old enough for LUG, but any group would be nice. It would be so nice to have a group meet once a month. I would love to see this happen.
  • AquapolisAquapolis Member Posts: 31
    Champaign, IL over here.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,169
    Western burbs here
    Would you guys be interested in meeting and trying to start a group?
    I guess it would be nice to have some input from other LUG group leaders to gain an understanding of some of the pitfalls of starting and maintaining a LUG. For example, how do you start an official LUG?
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 611
    Hello all, first-time poster here! I am in the north Chicago suburbs, and would be interested in participating if a LUG is started in this area.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    edited January 2012
    I'm from north-central Illinois and while I don't really have interest in joining a LUG, I can attest to at least four (my Grope-a-Bag group and their kids) other Lego fans in the Chicagoland area so they're there even if they're not here on the forums.
  • DKissingerDKissinger Member Posts: 23
    North of Chicago here also, would be interested but not sure how much time I would be able to devote to it.
  • HuskerDontHuskerDont Member Posts: 32
    I live on the north side and I am just as surprised as the rest of you that there are no Chicago LUGs. Joining a LUG has interested me, but I have to weigh it against factors like time, money, and travel involved.