Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Problems using forum features - "You need to enable Javascript to do that." error page

Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,897
Since the 6th/7th of March I have been unable to use certain forum features:

Cannot click on the "Like" button successfully
Cannot select/deselect the star next to a discussion to turn on/off notifications of new posts

Each time I attempt these operations the page with the face with crosses for eyes and squiggly mouth loads and tells me there is a permissions problem and that I need to enable Javascript to do that. I have not made any changes to my browser settings and am using the same device as always, nothing has changed on my end. Javascript is enabled too (again, always has been) so has Vanilla been tweaking the forum?

Also being unable to post pictures problem is back, same as before, it puts a thumbnail next to the choose files button in the "Insert an image" box instead of uploading the picture. However this time the problem is only affecting posts in threads, I can currently post pictures in pm. 

I noticed on the 6th that I was unable to make changes to my post well within the six minute window too. The icon was there but completely unresponsive. 

I had hoped that whatever caused this would be a temporary glitch but after clearing cookies and internet cache, resetting device, logging in anew the problem is continuing days later and is spoiling my participation in the forum. I asked a friend with the same setup as me and the same error is happening to them too.

Please can you help @huw

Comments

• Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,897
    Ability to post pictures in threads has returned but the permissions error problem for likes and notifications switch on/off still present.
    ^ Huh! Spoke too soon. Tried to post pic of error page, and thumbnail is back. And I can't edit my post above, button totally unresponsive :o(
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,358
    Anyone else? It all works fine for me in Chrome on Windows.
    TheOriginalSimonBLego_Star
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 723
    I can't click on the "like" button.
    Lego_Star

This is the page that loads every time I press the "like" button or the star next to the thread title to switch on or off notifications of new posts on a specific thread. 
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,222
    edited March 11
    Huw said:
    Anyone else? It all works fine for me in Chrome on Windows.
    I have no problem liking or editing posts in Safari on Mac.
    Lego_Star
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 478

I have the same problem with the "like" button in the forums that Lego_Star has. It might have something to do with the latest update to Windows 10, or with the fact I still use IE, or with the phase of the moon....

No problem liking posts on the main site, however.

Lego_Star
    Also, while I can make posts (obviously) the "Options" icon does nothing when I click on it. Not a really big deal (not worth changing to Edge or Firefox, anyway) but a nuisance.
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,182
    No issue on the features mentioned @Huw but I get logged out every day. Yesterday despite using the correct one it kept saying it was incorrect. I used to log in using Facebook, but that has gone now?
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,358
    Yes Facebook login has been removed as the plug-in violated its ToS and I've not had the time or knowledge to resolve it.
    Speedman29
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,541
    I too cannot 'like' any posts. I get the same Permission Problem screen as posted above.
    Lego_Star
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,172
    For those encountering this problem, it would probably help if you specify which device, OS, and browser you are using, seeing as many of us are not seeing the issue.
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 923

I'm still getting the error....

Windows 10 laptop, Internet Explorer 11.

AstrobricksLego_Star
    I'm also using IE 11 on a Windows 10 laptop. I can't find any way to turn javascript on (or off) in IE 11--doesn't seem to be in the settings any more, even under "Advanced." I'm wondering if a recent update has screwed things up--the problem did start after an update to Windows. Yes, I know IE isn't the browser Microsoft wants me to be using, but I'm comfortable using it and I'm not comfortable using Edge.
    I'm using Safari on ipad mini. Last time Vanilla made changes I had exactly the same problem across more than one browser and device.  Pictures and the @name stuff wasn't working that time. I tried my Windows laptop with IE 11 aswell this time and it experienced exactly the same problems.

I also checked independently that Javascript is enabled for my browser(s) on my device(s) by visiting the enable-javascript site which confirms if javascript is enabled or not. And I switched it off and back on again to test it really was detecting it's state. It was. 

Anyway, that was why I asked if Vanilla were tweaking the forum because I was certain I had not made any changes. 

I have been testing this at least daily, if not on every visit to the forum I make and I am pleased to report today, that things are now working as previously expected including:

Editing Posts is back (wahey!)
    And the annoying bits of the format bar that would stick on over the top of the "post" box unless I clicked on the link button and pressed cancel are back to normal (ie. seen only when they should be).

There is one thing I have noticed though. The response now from clicking like, the notifications star and the editing posts cog are all a little slow (and this is not a time of day when I'm competing with high network traffic). It's like each action is doing more than it was previously or at least taking a longer route to get there. Just an observation. Pleased that it's working again though.

Going to leave this open for the moment (please) incase it should reoccur. 

@sklamb @Lobot @legomatt @560Heliport If you could see if it's fixed for you too? Thanks for reporting that you were having problems with those features aswell. :o)
    Lobot560HeliportAstrobricksraygunnlegomatt
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 923
    Thanks @Lego_Star - it's now working for me :-)
    Lego_StarAstrobricks
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 723
    Thank you @Lego_Star it's working for me! And yes, it seems a little slower.
    Lego_StarAstrobricks
    edited March 23

It's working for me as well--in fact, I discovered I could "like" again before getting down to this thread, and cheered! The button reaction does seem a little slower than before but not annoyingly so.

Edit function is back as well, thank goodness.

Lego_Star
    @sklamb Yep, I most certainly cheered too! :o)