Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Wheel of Time MOC

pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 315
edited March 6 in Everything else LEGO
Any Wheel of Time fans here?

The Wheel of Time is one of my favorite book series of all time! I've read the whole series multiple times, starting in the early 2000s when my wife introduced me to it.

Probably my favorite overall MOC from Bricks Cascade was a massive collaborative build of the Battle of Falme from the series. A local builder Kevin Wanner headed up the build and was joined by 8 other builders including Grant Davis (of the Pop-Up Book fame), Douglas Hughes, Timothy Shortell and Jake Hansen.

Some of my photos are below, but you can see some better shots on the builder's Flickr pages and I would expect you'll be seeing this elsewhere online soon.

BumblepantseggshenSwitchfoot55stluxBaby_YodaFowlerBricksRonyarericbmsanders

Comments

• milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 385
    I loved it until book 8, then thought it went massively downhill until Brandon Sanderson took over after his death. The last few books captured the feel of the original 7 or so I felt and provided a much better end to the series than we would ever have got from Robert Jordan. Great MOC. Love the detail.
    pxchrisBumblepants
  • LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 457
    I'm a huge fan of the Wheel of Time.  I started read it in '94 when I was given promo book.  The publisher run a promo of the series where they gave away the first 18 chapters (out of 53) as a promo book.  For most people reading that much was enough to get them hooked.  I had a group of friends at that time was reading the series and that's all how we got started.

The first 5 books are great.  Well written, well paced proper stories.  I think Robert Jordan did a great job teeing up the next book at end of the previous one.   He seems to have lost his way in the next four books as there no major plot advancements until book 9.  And the explosion of tertiary characters playing major roles  was making it hard to follow with the increased cycle between book releases.  It was about this time I kind of lost interest in the series as I couldn't bring myself to read books 10 and 11 when they came out.  Which is too bad because while book 10 has some minor issues, book 11 was a return to form.  Jordan died before he could finish the series and the last three books were finished with by a new author, Brandon Sanderson, using Jordan's completed work and notes.  Sanderson did an amazing job on the final books and the series ends the only way it could have, with the blowing of the wind.

Cool MOC.  Other than Rand and Ba'alzamon it's a little hard to spot all of the main characters.  I love all of the little details and the heron marked sword is awesome.

pxchris
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 511
    That's really cool. Love how the Seanchan are represented by Samurai X. Also, using a dewback as a grolm is neat. I'll have to go check out the flickr page so I can see all the details. 

WoT is definitely in my top 5 book series of all time, but like @milamber said the middle books (which I refer to as the doldrums) are kinda boring. Brandon Sanderson and Jordan's wife Harriet did a great job bringing the series to a close.

Hopefully the TV show I'm hearing rumors about will do it justice. 
    pxchris
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 315
    Not to pull too far off (LEGO) topic, but I too am in agreement about the middle book slog. There are still some gems in those books, but certainly some of the story lines drag out far, far too much and we get lost in a muddle of characters.

I absolutely love how Brandon finished out the series though. Brandon is actually my favorite currently living/active writer and I've had the pleasure of meeting him multiple times at signings and events. If you've never had a chance to check out his other work, I highly recommend it! Especially his Stormlight Archive and Mistborn series.

I also had the distinct pleasure of meeting Harriet McDougal (Jordan's widow and editor of the WoT series) once, at the Memory of Light signing. I however sadly never got to go to a Jordan signing.

This last photo is really out of date, as I've added quite a few books to the collection. But here is the bulk of my WoT shelfie.

BumblepantsLusiferSamMaffyD
    eggshen said:

Hopefully the TV show I'm hearing rumors about will do it justice. 
    I've been following the development of the TV show for a while now, and I'm very excited about it! Cautionly optimistic of course.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,395
    I agree with you @pxchris, Sanderson is my favorite author. Can't wait for stormlight 4! So glad he actually writes fast.
    pxchris
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,337
    Well, great. For some reason I've never heard of this series and now will likely jump in as I'm in a bit of a lull in my current reading and looking for something new. 

Would those in the know recommend starting with the prequel "New Spring" and then going in order? Or starting with "The Eye of the World" and coming back to the prequel at some point in the future?
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 385
    I think that New Spring would be utterly incomprehensible to anyone who hadn’t read the series first. It wasn’t actually that great, just of interest to hardened fans who wanted a few questions answered. 

I loved wheel of time when it came out, but think there is better out there now. Not sure I’d have the stamina to plough through all the middle books in the series again
    I actually really liked New Spring.

But... I would definitely say start with The Eye of the World @Switchfoot55 and then throw in New Spring at the end or somewhere in the middle when you want a change of pace.

I warn you, you're heading down a long and winding road that is full of both peril and extreme satisfaction! I hope you enjoy the series!

There are lots of great websites still around that are wellsprings of information and guidance - the biggest being Dragon Mount. Encyclopedia WoT is still a great resource, though it's very outdated now. Tar Valon Library and Seven Spokes are also worth a bookmark. It's also well worth your while to get the Companion.

The audio books are also absolutely fantastically well done if you're into those as well.
    I think that the middle books are easier to stomach on a re-read @milamber because 1) you can easily skip over parts you know are a drag, and 2) knowing where things are going, you can pull out all kinds of new details.

My last re-read took me about a year and a half in total (I was aiming for a year) and I consider myself an average speed reader. I was reading it with my wife though and we were trying to stay relatively in the same place as each other, so I did read a few other books in between as she caught up.
    I was looking back on my original post, and at least to me, it appears that a couple of the Flickr links are broken - I'd hate anyone to miss out on seeing the other work of these fantastic builders.

Kevin Wanner - https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickninja/
    Grant Davis - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Douglas Hughes - https://www.flickr.com/photos/douglashughes/
    Timothy Shortell - https://www.flickr.com/photos/classicalbricks/
    Jake Hansen - https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

If I figure out social media links for the other builders, I'll post them as well.

I should also point out that most of these builders are teens or young adults... 
    And Kevin just posted a whole bunch of really excellent photos of the MOC!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums/72157679184028898

• Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 981
    I started reading the first book a few months back and kind of dropped it halfway through. I didn't realise there was so much to the series. Perhaps I should get back into it...
    pxchris
    Beyond the Brick posted a great video walk-thru of the MOC yesterday.