Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

21012 Sydney Opera House

LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
edited January 2012 in Collecting
There's a new set in the Architecture series on its way, the Sydney Opera House.
http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=63507t=0
Personally, the Architecture sets don't interest me much, although I do like the look and design of a certain few, namely the Robie house. There's no denying that a Sydney Opera House made in large scale à la the Taj Mahal or Tower Bridge would have been so much better...

Comments

• MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Wow, that's pretty ugly! Those wedge parts don't work for the 'shells' at all. Not that I'm a big fan of the series, but erm...nope, worst one yet I think.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    I was so excited to see the title of this post and then so disappointed with the set itself. Oh dear, the real thing is so much more beautiful than this.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    Yeah, that's as ugly as the inside of the building.

However I'll probably break my Architecture residences only rule and buy it. I'm an Australian in the USA, and I'm getting pretty obsessed with microbuilding. I'm still hoping it's better than the picture makes it look.

I can put it on the mantel under my brother's beautiful photo of the Harbour Bridge.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    great source material, poor implementation unfortunately.

Probably means this will not be given the Large Scale Model treatment anytime soon, which is disappointing.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,327
    The only comment I'll make about the model is that it reinforces why I hate LEGO elements with the notches of missing plastic (although I realize they're usually needed for functionality... but not in the Opera House model.

Ironically, the original opera house, one of the world's most famous, was a failure in many ways. Yes it's architecturally pleasing from the outside with its' soaring sail like fins. But it cost something like 10 times the original estimate, and due to problems the larger hall had to become the symphonic hall, while the smaller one became the actual opera house... and it has a stage so small that it can only put on "the truck and coach" traveling operas, not the full blown productions of major operas. And it had issues with acoustics.

Also it was a maintenance nightmare (sadly the fate of much "cutting edge" architecture). They spent nearly as much in redoing the roof and other functions within 15 years after completion, as they took to originally build it.

But I digress... it is a beautiful building from the outside, and has made Sydney famous indeed.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Ugggh...expat Aussie here and this is garbage. Looks to me like a sarlacc on roids.
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    Yep, this model doesn't do the majesty of the real thing justice, in my mind it isn't even remotely recognizable.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    hopefully this is an amateurish fake
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    As my wife is from Australia, I of course must buy this for her...

But as everyone has said, ugly as heck... Way too small scale!!!

:( :( :(
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Oh oh, a dear friend of mine who just got into LEGO and bought all the Architecture sets from me (except the Robie House) is going to love and hate this. I will post this to him and see what he comments :)
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    Ugly and barely recognisable. Pity
  • OrthobotrexOrthobotrex Member Posts: 165
    I do believe that the image shows the most flattering side of the build. So just taking to account that fact, this does not do justice at all to the actual thing. Even if I don't collect this theme, this must be the most aesthetically displeasing of the lot.

Even if the Burj is mostly just mostly 1x1 round bricks, at least it's still recognizable as such.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    @Orthobotrex, totally agree with you over the Burj set. They should have added more detail then using our favourite round bricks. My kid when he saw the pictures and videos of the Burj was like 'Whoa Dad, how cool is this building!' and then the day I found out LEGO is coming out with Burj my kid wanted it. But, seeing the set pictures, he declined and was quite sad.
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 329
    edited January 2012
    Ah, wow. So THAT'S where the bricks that my dog ate ended up. Hope Lego pays him a royalty for that.
  • bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 716
    edited January 2012
    Two years ago there was an article in Sydney Morning Herald mentioning LEGO working with people at SOH. It's in the 3rd paragraph

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/sydney-opera-house/qa-with-andy-lown-group-manager-commercial-partnerships-20100726-10r8w.html

The new set is a disappointing. Opera House in Sydney by Matija Grguric from Flickr looks much better
    Sydney Opera House
    Sydney Opera House
    Sydney Opera House
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    ^ It's prettier, but less accurate. The sails are still completely the wrong shape and the base has lost the lovely steps that are the most used part of the building.
  • EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    ^That's what we all wanted from Lego.