Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego vintage cars (20's 30's 40's 50's 60's)

Comments

• BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 202
    @CaptainLego Brilliant! My favorite old roadster in Lego!! (the bugatti 8C etc.) Is there any chance you could do it in dark blue? That would be super awesome.

Has anyone built a Citroen Traction Avant or similar? Like I mean that style of 1930s/40s sedan used for police cars and civilian cars and is seen in lots of British films, very likely in black.

Also, thanks Gallandr for posting pictures of the firehouse!
  • GallandrGallandr BelgiumMember Posts: 26
    @Brickchap
    I have found the Traction on the internet.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=lego+traction+avant&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_h6KwndTiAhXPUlAKHb6RCnIQ_AUIECgB&biw=1920&bih=969
    But not the model scale for minifigures, or at least not in line of the other models, that I would like.
  • CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 385
    edited June 2019
    Gallandr said:
    @CaptainLego
    This is marvellous. Do you have the plans of the Duesenberg? I am trying to make a Citroen CV 11 Traction Avant, and could use your idea for the back wheel. Tnx!
    Thanks! I do not, but I used modified plates and a technic plate to get that angle.
    edited June 2019
    Brickchap said:
    @CaptainLego Brilliant! My favorite old roadster in Lego!! (the bugatti 8C etc.) Is there any chance you could do it in dark blue? That would be super awesome.

Has anyone built a Citroen Traction Avant or similar? Like I mean that style of 1930s/40s sedan used for police cars and civilian cars and is seen in lots of British films, very likely in black.

Also, thanks Gallandr for posting pictures of the firehouse!
    Thank you! I don’t think so, as some of the parts used aren’t available in dark blue. 
    Help me out guys. Is this going the right direction? I can't get the "butt" however. and for 4 wide for the window, or 6?
    Roof...

edited June 2019
    Gallandr said:
    Help me out guys. Is this going the right direction? I can't get the "butt" however. and for 4 wide for the window, or 6?
    Roof...

How big is the real car? While you shouldn’t aim for the exact length/width/height as it would be extremely difficult(if not impossible), the real car’s dimensions still might help with the building process.
    Once upon a time, there was a minifigure who was an avid Mercedes-Benz fanatic. The crown jewels of his garage were his Mercedes-Benz SSK Count Trossi:

His 1928 Mercedes-Benz S-Type:

And his 1935 Mercedes-Benz 500K Cabriolet A:

It is believed that his 770K and several other cars ended up in the backwoods like the Count Trossi and 500K.

Also, some party pooper on Reddit decided to make the 500K’s fictional story extremely awkward by bringing up Nazi Germany, because I was most definitely thinking of Nazis when building the 500K 🙄. 
    LittleLoriGallandr
    This appears to be the best Citroen so far that Ive seen. I agree it is a difficult car to build. This is the Citroen Traction roadster I believe, thanks for trying though! Image result for lego traction avant
    All these cars look awesome!!

Also, especially to put that idiot on reddit in their place and simply because I like the car, has anyone tried to build a Mercedes 770 Grober?

Back to the main discussion though, here was my (very early) attempt at a 1930s/40s British police car (from Poirot) such as a Wolseley

Current Submission Image
    Current Submission Image
    Gallandr
    More of my own old cars to come
    Brickchap said:
    All these cars look awesome!!

Also, especially to put that idiot on reddit in their place and simply because I like the car, has anyone tried to build a Mercedes 770 Grober?

Back to the main discussion though, here was my (very early) attempt at a 1930s/40s British police car (from Poirot) such as a Wolseley

Current Submission Image
    Current Submission Image
    What happened was that the person said that the date and origin story was “problematic” because someone who could have bought the  car would likely have connections to the NSDAP. Which might have some truth irl, but it had nothing to do with LEGO. I wonder if the person actually frequents r/lego, because  I’ve never dealt with this before. Anyway, back to talking about these cars.

I like your police car, but I’ve never heard of Wolseley before. Also, I have seen 770 MOCs before, as I’m thinking about building one myself:

Ask the man who owns one

Gallandr
    Fun fact: I save car images to my phone when I’m considering or planning to build said car. I was browsing Mercedes-Benz yesterday when I came across this one:

The orange wheels are something I’ve not seen on a Mercedes-Benz of this era.
    LittleLori
    ^ that would be a cool car to build. I imagine the orange is meant to be a shade of brown, for a Lego model dark orange (town hall modular colour) would probably be most appropriate.

@CaptainLego Thanks RE my police car. As I said it was a very very early attempt at building old cars. Wolseley is a British brand and I doubt exists anymore. I might not have spelt it properly come to think of it. Cant wait to see a 770!

Image result for 1930s mercedes grober
    LOL that picture got warped.

Just another thought on possible cars to build, what have people done for a 'no roof for driver' saloon car?

I.e goldfingers car from Goldfinger James Bond. (I dont necessarily meant that exact movie car just whatever you call that type of car, also Scrooge McDuck had one in the original 80s TV show)
    @Brickchap Did you see the post with my latest WIP? Packard is long overdue for a build.

No roof over driver you say? That happens to be the other overdue car that I need to get to:

@CaptainLego LOL I have that EXACT car (same colours wheel hub etc.) as a Matchbox Models of Yesteryear car. I imagine the Packard is more what I was thinking of. But this would be a very interesting build. Its a Bugatti  royale right?

I reckon maybe the long minifigure skis would perhaps work for the side running board wheel cover things? (sorry I only know old cars not the proper names of car parts)
    edited June 2019
    Brickchap said:
    @CaptainLego LOL I have that EXACT car (same colours wheel hub etc.) as a Matchbox Models of Yesteryear car. I imagine the Packard is more what I was thinking of. But this would be a very interesting build. Its a Bugatti  royale right?

I reckon maybe the long minifigure skis would perhaps work for the side running board wheel cover things? (sorry I only know old cars not the proper names of car parts)
    Yep, Bugatti Royale!

I think modified plates and hinge plates will work here like with my other builds. Of course, this car is massive, so I have to use 1x6 tiles for them instead of 1x4.
    edited June 2019
    Aside from loving these cars, I feel like the other reason that I’m building so many pre-WWII cars now is that’s I’ve built a lot of Speed Champions stuff, be it MOCs, builds I found online, or sets. However, I still do, as I recently built a Ferrari 250 GT Boano and a ‘53 Corvette.
    @CaptainLego Can you explain a bit how you do the back with the wheel, the motor, and the side skirts?
    Yours look absolutely great!
    edited June 2019
    Gallandr said:
    @CaptainLego Can you explain a bit how you do the back with the wheel, the motor, and the side skirts?
    Yours look absolutely great!
    For cars like the Count Trossi, the side skirts are just attached with a bracket. Not the best way, but it’ll do.
  • DadsAFOLDadsAFOL USAMember Posts: 617
    Don't forget this grand opening set...

LittleLoriGallandrBrickchapBaby_Yoda
    edited June 2019
    @Gallandr Do you mind if post 1930s automobiles are posted/discussed here? This would be a good thread for vintage cars in general, and I’d like to show some of my 50s and 60s car MOCs here.

I finally figured out why this 1924 Isotta Fraschini doesn’t look like a 1924 car; It was given a custom body in the 1930s. I saved this picture as it got added to my list.

It’s also occurred to me that I’ve yet to build a Cadillac or a Lincoln. 
    Gallandr
    Didn’t show this one yet. BMW 328 Mille Miglia Bügelfalte Roadster:

BrickchapGallandr
    I am going to change the thread name to vintage cars (20's 30's 40's 50's).
    What do you guys think?
    CaptainLegoBrickchap
    Gallandr said:
    I am going to change the thread name to vintage cars (20's 30's 40's 50's).
    What do you guys think?
    Go fo it ;)
    Packard or Duesenberg?

GallandrLittleLori
    Packard looks much better now:

• eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 524
    Gallandr said:
    This, you mean? Good build, indeed.

And that bus is amazing.
    GallandrCaptainLego
    @eMJeeNL: yes sir, looking good! 
    I hope they will make a new postal office, with revised post office truck.
    Hopefully the modulars will get a post office, fits perfectly.
    CaptainLegoBrickchap
    @Gallandr Hope you don’t mind me sharing some 50s and 60s stuff here.

Jaguar D-Type & Jaguar XKSS:

BMW 507:

Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR:

Ferrari 250 TR58 & Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder:

CSX 2000(inspired by Hachiroku24’s 427 Cobra build):

Porsche 904:

Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale:

Gallandr
    edited June 2019
    No problem, @CaptainLego ). Why don't you take a picture of the whole current collection?

I asked a moderator to change the thread name. Still waiting for a reply.
    CaptainLego
    edited June 2019
    Gallandr said:
    No problem, @CaptainLego ). Why don't you take a picture of the whole current collection?

I asked a moderator to change the thread name. Still waiting for a reply.
    I would, but it’s hard when you have almost 100 cars(MOCs, builds found online, and set builds) and more than half of them are classics. 
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 327

Baby_YodaCaptainLegomadforLEGOgmonkey76TheOriginalSimonBdatsunrobbie
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 327
    I built a few color variations of the speed champions coupe. I also have one in standard red. I think these count as 30s vehicles. 
    CaptainLegomadforLEGO
    edited June 2019
    @sweetness34 I’d say they do, since the car itself is from that decade. A lot of those Ford Coupes got turned into hot rods and other custom stuff after WWII.

As for me, I saw this Daimler earlier:

sweetness34eMJeeNLBrickchap
    LEGO Ettore Bugatti will finally have a car:

Also, this book is absolutely amazing, and it will also help with future builds:

Brickchapsweetness34Gallandr
    Currently working on a Mercedes-Benz 770K Pullman Limo. I actually want to build three different  770Ks, but I’m sticking to two for the time being so I can focus on other cars too. I also want to try to build a Mercedes-Benz SSK.
    Brickchap
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 637
    Brickchap said:
    O and Lego Police Dog Unit (2014) had a hot rod in it that can be easily modified to become a regular 1930s ute.
    The criminals in Lego City must be awfully successful in spite of living in a police state, as they have some of the coolest cars ever built as 4 wides.  In addition to the #60048 you mention (my favorite), they also had a cool old style hot rod in #4438.  
    Guys, how can I contact a moderator? I get no response from the one I sent.
    CaptainLego
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,667
    W150 770K Pullman: 
    sweetness34BrickchapGallandr
    edited June 2019
    After my hopefully successful attempt at the SSK, I’m not actually sure what to build next. I do want to build this W07 770K: 

But I also want to try something different, like this Pegaso Z-102:

Both are getting built either way, so I guess it really doesn’t matter who’s first.
    Brickchap
    Started the SSK: 

And I decided my next build is going to be this Mercedes race car from 1924:

I also plan on attempting to build this really interesting vehicle, but the only colored pictures that I could find of it were of a detailed, die-cast model:

BrickchapGallandr
    Mercedes-Benz SSK:

LittleLorimadforLEGOBrickchapGallandr
    1914 Mercedes Grand Prix Car 
    I don't really like the side tube here. Maybe use the flexible hoses? 
    Brickchap
    edited June 2019
    Gallandr said:
    I don't really like the side tube here. Maybe use the flexible hoses? 
    While that could work, I don’t think hoses would really suit it. It does look like it needs to be shortened by one, though.

Plus, these technic parts are easier to get, which is important as the Peugeot L45 Grand Prix car, the 1924 Mercedes 2 Litre Monza car, the Alfa Romeo P2 will also need them.
    edited June 2019
    Well, this will be interesting. Unlike with the Mercedes, the Peugeot’s exhaust actually goes behind one of wheels. 

Even if the exhaust ends up being a little off, I still want to build it. Peugeot was the favorite to win the 1914 French Grand Prix, but Mercedes took the top three spots with three of the five cars they entered. It will also be the first Peugeot I’ve built. 
    1937 Bugatti Type 57G Tank

1914 Peugeot L45 Grand Prix 

Bludchylde1Brickchap