50/50 on the UCS Millenium Falcon and Ninjago City + Docks. Could use your help choosing!

GethixitGethixit OhioMember Posts: 4

This is a crosspost from a different community, I just really wanted to "get in touch with the experts" so to speak.

Hey folks, so I got a nice promotion and tax season is here for a refund. I just want to treat myself a bit. I normally don't go overboard on purchases like these, but I love Lego. After hours and hours of scourging reviews, video builds, etc I ended up wanting either of these two.

This is the space I will put either or. https://imgur.com/GwwpRHy

Both sets will fit, and I will find spots for the others. I would plan on buying a vertical stand for the falcon (would consider moving the falcon to my living room), and I think the city & docks would line up well pushed against the back. I would also get a great angle as its in the corner of my room. May be able to even put the Slave 1 behind the dock portion for a cool backdrop.

Ninjago City & Docks

• + While I am more interested in the display of sets, this offers playability. Down the road my kids could enjoy it (IF I LET THEM). I would be able to add many of my own minifigures to it as well.

• + I feel that I could easily add customized (MOC) sections to it.

• + Beautiful set, my favorite part is the water and detailing that gives off the illusion of depth. Also like the apartment up top and the cherry blossom.

• + Everyone says this is one of the best sets!

• + Think I could tie the fishing store in with the docks.

• + While I can afford the Falcon + the stand, I would immediately save $400 by getting this instead.

• - I seen alot of reviews where parents bought this for their children.

• - I would never expect an even return on this if I needed money down the road.

• - I think the Falcon looks better as a display set overall, but again I think it wins out as a playable set.

Millennium Falcon

• + Huge Star Wars nerd. I would be lying if I said I never had a few sessions of browsing wookiepedia to just learn more about the universe.

• + In my eyes, this beats Ninjago City as a display piece and will be a WOW! conversation starter with guests. It's so detailed and I like the ship. Although I would say that the X-Wing is my favorite.

• + I know this won't reach resale value of the last UCS falcon, but I am confident that I will be able to get an even return on it (not counting inflation) if I ever find myself needing money in the future.

• + Everyone says this is one of the best sets!

• + Sense of fulfillment owning the biggest and baddest Lego set ever made.

• + Goes well with my other UCS ships.

• - While I can afford it. This will be close to $1,000 with tax AND the stand I would like to buy to display it.

• - I do feel that this will be less interesting to build than the Ninjago city, but again I think it wins out as a display set.

ryjayThe_Studdmcc0

Comments

• starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 477
    edited January 26
    As someone who has built the Falcon, I say ABSOLUTELY go for the falcon. The build is amazing, it looks amazing, and if you have a Target Redcard you can buy it at 5% off (to help cover the tax).  
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 815
    If you are a star wars nerd, I say go for the falcon.  I can see any star wars nerd regretting not getting it after being in a situation like yours.  I'm sure Lego will make other sets that will offer the pluses that the ninjago city/dock offers but there is only one falcon (technically there are several but you know what I mean).
    Harrymattpotter
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 997
    Loved your post....but, but....you're over thinking it.  Here is what i did, and I'm a big Star Wars fan, too...I held $800 in my hand, and said I like that feeling the best...buy neither. :)
    pharmjodMegtheCat
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 323
    Falcon, hands down. The Ninjago sets are incredibly well done in their own right, but the Falcon is a showstopper.
  • BrikingBriking Dorset, UKMember Posts: 748
    The Ninjago sets were probably the most fun builds I’ve ever done (I normally major on Modulars and other Creator Expert sets).  You will NOT be disappointed!

I haven’t built the MilF, so can’t comment on that one.
    Gibbo1959
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 856
    What a delicious predicament to be in. I really believe that the NC and MilF could well be the best two Lego sets ever made. I have all three and have built the Ninjago sets (plus a second NC).

Despite getting it day one, I still haven't built my MilF partly because I really want to give the build my undivided attention (no wife or kids distractions) and partly because I don't have a good spot to show it off.

If it may influence your decision, I suspect that NC will retire sooner than the MilF, which could well hang around for many years. Both are the pinnacle of what Lego can be. I'd love to say NC/ND for their bright colours, variety of pieces and sheer irreverence, but I spent close to a decade regretting not getting the original MilF - and then Lego goes and drops the upgraded 7500 piece beast on us.

So my advice is... sell an organ and get all three.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    I haven’t built the newer Falcon but have built the original.  Other than the finishing detail, they are effectively the same model and I’d have to say, I got far more enjoyment and value out of building the Ninjago City.  Haven’t got round to the Docks yet but if I had the choice of the two it would have to be the City and Docks win over the Falcon.
  • GethixitGethixit OhioMember Posts: 4
    You guys are great for dropping in and adding input! Any other suggestions would still be appreciated though.

@Brainslugged You're right that this is a predicament but it's far from delicious haha. All three is out if the question I'm afraid. Lucky enough to get my wires blessing on one.

This may go down to the wire where I decide in store. I'm driving about an hour and a half to get there. I dare say that I'd rather have them be sold out of one to make the decision easy. Then I let my 4 year old pick her lego bucket out and be on my way with my new expensive plastic. 

The dock seems like a set that screams price slashing, as it really depends on people buying the city. 
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 856
    @Gethixit - One other thing to mention is that you really cannot imagine how big the Falcon is until you've seen it in the flesh. Hopefully the store you go to still has it up (if you havent seen it already). My local one still has it up.
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 462
    As I’m not enough of a Star Wars guy to get the Falcon I may not be able to offer a lot. We did finally buy the city though after finding it for 20% off on Costco’s website if your decision is one to be swayed by sales. But we,re both building people, so choosing the city makes sense. Now to wait till we can find a sale on the docks. 
  • TokerToker CTMember Posts: 38
    I bought the UCS MF last year for myself and the Ninjago City for my kids. The Ninjago City is an incredible build and has so much variety in one build.

That being said, the UCS MF is the most enjoyable build I've ever had. I built it with my kids and it was an unforgettable experience. It's now my main coffee table display and I just love looking at it, adjusting the display and enjoying it.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,349
    Buy two Ninjago city sets and make a Gigantic display!

Ninjago City is likely to go before the Falcon. Buy a City, and then hope to gather enough funds back to buy the Falcon later.
    Ultimately it is your (considerable) amount of money to spend as you choose
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,853
    I was lucky enough to borrow the older MF from a friend to build. I enjoyed it a lot, but there are some repetitive things. Ended up building most of it together with my son so the similar bits were split up between us and it made it more fun. It's a great looking ship and was in the hallway for quite a while. It's indeed a lovely piece as conversation starter. It is a lot of grey though.

I've also built Ninjago City and it is now in the same place in the hall. It was a great build, so many clever techniques. It definilty has more play-value than a big MF (it is a bit too big to swoosh about). It's a very impressive showpiece too.

I own the latter and not the former. It's difficult to say which build is the best, they are very different (and ovbiously I build the older version). For the same money you could buy Ninjago city and another big set (Apocalypsburg, Microscale Hogwarts,...)

good luck with your decision, not an easy but a fun one ;)
  • GethixitGethixit OhioMember Posts: 4
    Thanks everyone! I'm 90% sure I'm going to go with the Falcon. While the city is beautiful, I forsee the excitement from nostalgia and sheer achievement of building/having the biggest lego set to be more long lasting. Plus I should be able to always get an even return on it, if I'm ever in a tight money situation.

Then again, the Lego store could always be sold out when I get there. In that case I'll just choose the other option! 
    The_Rancor
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 462
    Gethixit said:
    Thanks everyone! I'm 90% sure I'm going to go with the Falcon. While the city is beautiful, I forsee the excitement from nostalgia and sheer achievement of building/having the biggest lego set to be more long lasting. Plus I should be able to always get an even return on it, if I'm ever in a tight money situation.

Then again, the Lego store could always be sold out when I get there. In that case I'll just choose the other option! 
    Enjoy!  I’m sure it’ll be a great choice for a nice display in your house after you get the sense of accomplishment from building the model.