Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collect or investment

2»

Comments

• BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 506
    @CCC I also have a large collection of socks, including some duplicates and rare, hard to find items. Trade? :)
    MaffyDdmcc0Baby_Yoda
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 740
    I mostly collect. I really only 'invest' when Isee a set on a decent enough clearance or discount in stores, usually when Walmart clears shelves. Even then it's a short term investment, usually posted online within hours. I found 8 copies of #76099 for $5 a month or so ago. Why not get 'em? Great price, and I'll either sell them to help cover my personal Lego purchases or just raid then for parts. 
    pxchris
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 757
    I'm definitely a collector but I do have to sell sets to manage my space. I love collecting! I sometimes build stuff but I don't really have the time or the space to build anything but a tiny fraction of what I collect. When I sell, I'm under no illusion that I will make money. Some sets will sell for more, some for less.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,475
    ^ I love the hunt, but don’t have much time or room for building either. If I have multiple copies, it’s either because I think they might appreciate, or more likely lately, I just want more parts - for all that MOCing I’m not doing!
    SeanTheCollector
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 93
    edited March 17
    I've never sold or traded. I've never MOC'd and until very recently I'd never bought duplicates (I just needed MORE Benny's Space Squad). I simply buy and build sets I like.

I consider myself a collector verging on hoarder. Stay away from my Precious. Seriously, fuck off, this is MINE!
    klintonmsandersMegtheCatOubird
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 897
    Seems like the "collector" used here is more like a hoarder?

I'm personally a hoarder, I buy lots of Lego and to build them whenever space is available. This means I have lots of unbult sets due to limited space.

I had lots of other toys as well like Transformers, Macross, chogokin/diecast robots, Gundam kits etc.

I also collect coins, and had the various EU country coins before there is even a EU.
    SumoLegodatsunrobbiebrickventuresMegtheCatOubird
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,542
    ^ A collector is basically a hoarder with better quality control.

I also have a few transformers and hot wheels. And comic books. But Lego will always be my primary hobby.
    davetheoxygenmanpharmjodOubird
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,230
    Interesting point, we're all addicted at least a little. I think my addiction only goes so far as how much money I'm willing to spend on Lego in comparison to my other interests - $50 is nothing for a Lego set while I'd seriously hesitate to spend the same amount on, say, Magic: the Gathering.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBLEGOFan2
  • ScorpioJWScorpioJW Below sea levelMember Posts: 12
    CCC said:
    So how many people here have a collection of socks (or forks, or rubber bands, ...)? I don't consider myself a sock collector but I must have at least 30 of them, and most of them in pairs. I consider myself a sock wearer. I use them but I don't collect them.
    I invest heavily in socks. You should see the prices on the New York Sock Exchange!
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBPitfall69AstrobricksLEGOFan2gmonkey76
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 323
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Interesting point, we're all addicted at least a little. I think my addiction only goes so far as how much money I'm willing to spend on Lego in comparison to my other interests - $50 is nothing for a Lego set while I'd seriously hesitate to spend the same amount on, say, Magic: the Gathering.
    I think it only becomes addiction when it prevents you from doing other things normally - time away from the family, unable to pay credit cards off, etc. Otherwise, it's really just harmless fun - and this is why they're able to charge extortionate prices (see: #21317 Steamboat Willie). My bills are paid and my students loans are zeroed; who cares if I spend some extra cash on a Bricktober Marvel set to keep my Iron Man collection up to date and complete? 

Now, I have a ton of sets from when I was a kid that aren't displayed, mostly cause of space constraints. I won't get rid of them, though, as they can easily be taken out of storage boxes and built and played with on a nice Saturday afternoon with my son. But I don't consider myself an investor as I haven't ever bought a single set with the intention of flipping it down the road. 
    pxchrisSumoLegoLEGOFan2Baby_Yodagmonkey76
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,950
    ScorpioJW said:
    I invest heavily in socks.
    Are we talking windsocks or tube socks?  Windsocks are collectible.  Tube socks are for the birds.  Nobody collects those silly things.
    LEGOFan2SprinkleOtterdmcc0gmonkey76
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,065
    I am definitely a collector with a tad of investor.  I have found myself becoming very focused lately on what I buy.  Much of that thanks to family, etc and other major responsibilities, but I also have found I just don't have the time like I used too to build.
  • ScorpioJWScorpioJW Below sea levelMember Posts: 12
    SumoLego said:

.  Nobody collects those silly things.
    Yes...that's what I would like you to believe... keeps the competition away...[looks at special collector edition tube socks]