Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Collect or investment

PilotBrickPilotBrick HamburgMember Posts: 6
Are yore more collector or you only invest in Lego? For me is Lego passion. I prefere the old Sets from the Space theme and the Town/City Sets. Sometimes i buying to much and than i have to sell it. That was the reason to found a own Legomarketplace called PilotBrick.com. Maybe it´s off topic but i think its important to know this about me. I am more collector as investor in Lego and whats about you?
FowlerBricks

Comments

• M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 301
    I’m definitely not an investor.  I can’t even budget enough to have all I’d like to collect (people who post their weekend hauls is like a years worth for me LOL), let alone ‘save’ any for investments.  But inherently I think “most” sets (maybe not all though I admit) should be worth MSRP after retirement even as open/used ones.  So I can probably freely enjoy collecting, secure in the knowledge if I need to liquidate what I have managed to collect, that I won’t be out a whole lot.  
    PilotBrick
  • PilotBrickPilotBrick HamburgMember Posts: 6
    oh yeaa.. when i see the photos of their weekend hauls... thats sometimes totally strange. they spend more money for lego as i pay for my rent per month :-)
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,357
    ^Check out the "brag" thread. There's lots of Lego to be had cheaply if you let somebody else buy it first. Finding it just requires patience and a bit of luck.
    PilotBrick
    ^Check out the "brag" thread. There's lots of Lego to be had cheaply if you let somebody else buy it first. Finding it just requires patience and a bit of luck.
    thanks datsunrobbie :-)
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 171
    I just collect them to amuse myself. It's just a hobby that I persue with varying degrees of enthusiasm depending on the themes on offer. I've never left a set unopened for longer than a week, and I have no idea how people do so. Hahaha. I've not oversaturated my life with countless random sets though, so each one I buy is one that I'm genuinely excited to have and that I'm eager to build. 
    PilotBrickbrickventures
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 241
    I am 100% a collector. I buy the sets that I genuinely want for myself to build and display. Or, the occasional (this is pretty rare) set I pick up just for pieces for MOC building which is a fairly new area of the LEGO experience for me (that is, building MOCs in the AFOL sense, not all of the awesome creations I made as a kid). I buy old used sets from the 80s and 90s as well as brand new sets. I have a pretty eclectic taste from licensed themes to the creator lines and a bit of everything in between.
    PilotBrick
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 241
    And I definitely struggle to keep my jealousy in check when I see the weekend hauls that easily dwarf what I spend in a year. My wife might thing that I spend a lot on LEGO... but boy, she has NO idea!
    PilotBrick
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,017
    Mainly collect but a bit of selling stuff I get cheap or no longer want.

Why start your own marketplace when there are very well established ones such as bricklink and more recently brickowl?
    stlux
    it’s not a classic marketplace like bricklink. we have a focus on rare old Sets and not bricks. that’s a small but i think, important difference. the other thing is... i have run a long time the biggest price comparison shopping engine of germany. and it was time for something new in my life ... passion & business :-)
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,082
    it’s not a classic marketplace like bricklink. we have a focus on rare old Sets and not bricks. that’s a small but i think, important difference. the other thing is... i have run a long time the biggest price comparison shopping engine of germany. and it was time for something new in my life ... passion & business :-)
    You can sell sets on Bricklink and Brickowl.
    sid3windr
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 10,848
    I generally do trades to get out-of-reach items.  Not really sitting on sets to sell at a later date.  I really don't have the patience.
    PilotBrickgmonkey76
    You can sell sets on Bricklink and Brickowl.
    of course .. you can... and if you want to get a better price for your items, dont forget ebay.
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 288
    Lego investing isn't what it once was, and it takes more patience and care than it used to.  Aside from the bigger, harder to find sets, you have to work to make a really good profit nowadays.  And with the sheer number of sets and options out there now, investing isn't what all of these articles you see claim.  Plus, it's not like action figures where you can see them sitting on the shelf and be fine with them still in package.  The whole fun of these is building! lol.
  • PolyphemusPolyphemus Sydney, AustraliaMember Posts: 63
    100% collect to build. The seals are usually broken within minutes of getting home from the shop. I did manage to wait a whole 24 hours once...
    dmcc0MaffyDPilotBrick
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,469
    I guess I would say I fall into the 'collector' category, but I prefer to use my Lego. I use it for photos or just to mess around with.
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 240
    I'm a collector who likes to participate in shows.  I don't have many MOCs (I'm just not that good yet at building from scratch), but I love watching people's reactions when they see what you can do with lots of Lego.
  • SteveGSteveG TNMember Posts: 12
    I'm a collector first. I used to be an investing collector of all sorts of things. So much that I opened a store around collecting. Then I saw the other side of collecting to invest and got burned out on the whole thing. Took some years away and now collect things that I enjoy. Too many things, not just Legos. 

PilotBrick
  • AyrbysAyrbys CanadaMember Posts: 1
    edited February 11
    Maybe it would sound funny but I am both )) I invested in a bigger property in Greece to be able to have more place for collecting and my Lego hobby. Now I have a small room dedicated to Lego with a table and shelves just for it. My wife isn't a fan of such solution but it is for sure better than having pieces and parts of it all around the house. 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,940
    Ayrbys said:
    Maybe it would sound funny but I am both )) I invested in a bigger property in Greece to be able to have more place for collecting and my Lego hobby. Now I have a small room dedicated to Lego with a table and shelves just for it. My wife isn't a fan of such solution but it is for sure better than having pieces and parts of it all around the house. 
    So you live in Canada but keep your LEGO in Greece?
    SprinkleOtterBumblepantsHugeYellowBrickBaby_Yoda
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,037
    edited February 11
    @Astrobricks There was a spam URL in that post originally; a mod has probably taken it out. So no need to find logic in that post ;)
    AstrobricksOubirdBaby_Yoda
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,871
    edited February 12
    Loved Lego as a kid. Starting selling off my stuff in college, and turned into an investor. That re-activated the collector in me. So I'm pretty much like the Hulk now, depends on the day and mood. 
    Bumblepants
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 10,848
    Ayrbys said:
    ...I invested in a bigger property in Greece...
    I have my LEGO stored in a subterranean ice fortress guarded by magic crystals.  It's just east of Point Barrow and a stone's throw away from where Captain America went into the ice.
    SteveGSprinkleOtter560HeliportBaby_Yoda
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,650
    SumoLego said:
    Ayrbys said:
    ...I invested in a bigger property in Greece...
    I have my LEGO stored in a subterranean ice fortress guarded by magic crystals.  It's just east of Point Barrow and a stone's throw away from where Captain America went into the ice.
    How far from the underground Nazi base is it? You don't want them plundering your collection to restart the Third Reich, now...
    560HeliportBaby_Yoda
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 968
    ^restart?
    Oh yes... that’s right... restart...
    SprinkleOtter560HeliportBaby_Yoda