Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Just what I needed to show the spouse!!!

Comments

• TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,476
    Cool. How-about you buy it off of me!
    OnebricktoomanyHugeYellowBrick
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 866
    I've seen a guy on Facebook for the past few months trying to sell his used #10189 Taj Mahal for 65% more than you can currently buy the re-released version at full RRP. I wonder what he thinks of the article.

(Although I'm showing my wife, too!)
    Onebricktoomany
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,375
    Is this actually news to most of the forum community? 
    OnebricktoomanypharmjodCM4SSprinkleOtter
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,949
    Please someone tell me that Galidor wasn't included.  There is no way that the 'Simpsons' is the only theme to have a negative investment return.

And fact-checker... 'LEGO' is plural!
    Onebricktoomanygmonkey76bandit778BrickByBrickSprinkleOtter
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 523
    Pitfall69 said:
    Nope. I feel like these "LEGO = MONEY$!" articles pervade the "filthy casual" LEGO community, though, and bubble up into our rarefied air from time to time. Now is one of those times, it seems. Sigh.
    madforLEGOOnebricktoomanyPitfall69gmonkey76BumblepantsSprinkleOtter
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 282
    edited January 17
    I knew there'd be great comments!! 

And I apologize for the exclamation exuberance.

SumoLego said:
    Please someone tell me that Galidor wasn't included.  There is no way that the 'Simpsons' is the only theme to have a negative investment return.

And fact-checker... 'LEGO' is plural!
    Are you saying that there is a possibility that Galidor, Jack Stone, Clickits and Construct-a-Zurg are worth more than The Simpson's? This is exciting news!!!!
    Onebricktoomanygmonkey76SumoLegodavetheoxygenmanBrickByBrickMegtheCatSprinkleOttermessy
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 282
    Pitfall69 said:
    Nope. I feel like these "LEGO = MONEY$!" articles pervade the "filthy casual" LEGO community, though, and bubble up into our rarefied air from time to time. Now is one of those times, it seems. Sigh.
    Ah, yes, every once in awhile we proletariat like to assert ourselves,  knowing full well the forthcoming smack down will return us to our proper place...buying up as much investment grade Chima as we can.
    Lego_Lord_MayorcaBumblepantsBaby_Yoda
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 523
    Pitfall69 said:
    Ah, yes, every once in awhile we proletariat like to assert ourselves,  knowing full well the forthcoming smack down will return us to our proper place...buying up as much investment grade Chima as we can.
    Could be worse. Some poor schmuck might be out there after breezing through that article and upon seeing all those Brickheadz still on store shelves, may feel spurned into a buying frenzy! "It's Boba Fett in brick form! It's bound to be worth thousands some day!"
    Onebricktoomany
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,877
    If you find boba Fett brickheadz anywhere you would do well to buy them.
    OnebricktoomanyPitfall69
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,229
    That's true, as it was pretty elusive over its short life (down here, anyway). The same can be said of Leia and some of the weirder double packs. Other than that, though, I think Brickheadz won't be in great demand for a while.
    Onebricktoomany
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 353
    Pitfall69 said:
    Could be worse. Some poor schmuck might be out there after breezing through that article and upon seeing all those Brickheadz still on store shelves, may feel spurned into a buying frenzy! "It's Boba Fett in brick form! It's bound to be worth thousands some day!"
    I guess it was that kind of contempt that lead LEGO to cancel the BrickHeadz theme, which, in my opinion, was a great commercial bet as it could target not only LEGO fans but also collectors that usually don't look/collect LEGO, and also because it had a low price point. It is true that they pushed too much in 2018, they released too many different sets in so little time, and the double sets, having a higher price, also didn't help.
    Also, they seem to have been much more popular here in Europe than in the US, for example, and LEGO is clearly betting on the US market and ignoring the European one.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,824
    jnscoelho said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    I guess it was that kind of contempt that lead LEGO to cancel the BrickHeadz theme, which, in my opinion, was a great commercial bet as it could target not only LEGO fans but also collectors that usually don't look/collect LEGO, and also because it had a low price point. It is true that they pushed too much in 2018, they released too many different sets in so little time, and the double sets, having a higher price, also didn't help.
    Also, they seem to have been much more popular here in Europe than in the US, for example, and LEGO is clearly betting on the US market and ignoring the European one.
    I imagine it was bad sales volumes that lead LEGO to cancel Brickheadz, rather than the contempt of people buying them because they thought that they would go up in value.

A large part of the problem for me was the price. £10 or equivalent is a lot for a small model that cannot be (or is very hard to) play with once completed.

That's because it's not a play model, it's a display piece for collectors or a bunch of parts for builders (and they usually have an interesting price per part, and some nice printed parts). LEGO made a good bet but had the wrong business model around it, and so they ended up wasting it, especially with the sloppy retirement (some sets were still marked as New).
    Like I said, bad sales maybe elsewhere, like the US or even UK. It's not what I saw here in Portugal, for example. You say it was bad sales, but do you know sales numbers? Because having sets on shelves doesn't necessarily imply that they're not selling, maybe LEGO just keeps on supplying more. 
    edited January 18
    As for discounts on BrickHeadz, you already have discounts on TLM2 sets and they have been out for 2-3 weeks. Does that imply that TLM2 sets aren't selling?
    If you're releasing a collectors piece, you can't expect it to have it out for only 4-5 to 12 months and for it to have a huge output. LEGO was competing with POPs, which have an established market, and so they had to be patient. They should have released new sets slower or keep them for twice-three times longer.
    Then again, it seems that retirement gave a huge boost to BrickHeadz sales, so who knows...
    Seeing brickheadz regularly sold for 50% off and sometimes 75% off suggests bad sales. It is not that they are always on the shelves, but remain there when 50% off.

gmonkey76
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 311
    Some people didn’t like them simply because they didn’t look that good. Some characters they chose just didn’t translate well to the brickheadz model. Because of that, even fans that buy Lego purely for display were turned off. 
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 880

I suspect the discounts on TLM2 sets are to help sell the sets before the movie opens, to get more people to go to the movie.

Yeah, there were a number of other probable mistakes that didn't help:

- releasing the comic con ones first, so collectors knew that they would never be complete before they even started collecting and might not buy in because of that.

- numbering them sequentially across different licenses, so someone into one license appears not to have a complete set for that license.

- changing the way they are presented, with different style bases, and then series numbers disappeared. Consistency is important.
    gmonkey76Onebricktoomany
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 311
    And the seemingly random choices. Things like Frozen and Ghostbusters (while having a lego presence) seemed to come out of the blue. So you have a whole bunch of different ones out there, but not many complete sets. It was puzzling at times. 
    edited January 18
    jnscoelho said:
    I guess it was that kind of contempt that lead LEGO to cancel the BrickHeadz theme, which, in my opinion, was a great commercial bet as it could target not only LEGO fans but also collectors that usually don't look/collect LEGO, and also because it had a low price point.
    We really have no idea why the line was discontinued abruptly.  (Or not abruptly?)  And it helps to be reminded that the vast, vast bulk of LEGO sales are to non-collectors. Everything is directed at their largest market: kids.

For the most part, the collector market ignores the Friends theme - and that's been the product that has buoyed the recent runaway success.  I look at the collector world of Funko, and I am happy LEGO has little to do with the same market.  It appears to me that Funko does a lot of work to sell less product.

Funko's Q1 Revenue in 2018 - $143 million.  LEGO's Q1 Revenue in 2018 - $2 BILLION.

Constractables seem to survive - with some sets having significant discounts.  I'm pretty sure collectors revile these sets and there is little secondary market for them.  My guess is that they sell sufficient volume at a healthy margin to warrant additional sets.

If the collector market ever becomes LEGO's focus, then we are all doomed.

Anyway, without being privvy to sales figures or marketing reports, we really have no idea.
    stluxpharmjodBumblepantsOnebricktoomanySprinkleOtter
    edited January 18
    Good points @SumoLego. I am willing to bet that many of the recent wave of brickheadz will do very well from a reseller stand point because they were so short lived and do cater to a collectors market. Look at how Mickey and Minnie and Harry and hedwig are already doing. I gambled on several of the brickheadz as an "investment". I am eager to see how they do come Christmas.
    SumoLego
    There will probably be strong regional variations too. There are plenty of brickheadz Vaders in the US on BL, cheap end is under $10. But in the UK, none. One sold two weeks ago for £18. On ebay they are £20+.

pharmjod
    CCC said:
    Yeah, there were a number of other probable mistakes that didn't help:

- releasing the comic con ones first, so collectors knew that they would never be complete before they even started collecting and might not buy in because of that.

- numbering them sequentially across different licenses, so someone into one license appears not to have a complete set for that license.

- changing the way they are presented, with different style bases, and then series numbers disappeared. Consistency is important.
    I only see one error there: messing with people's OCD.  :D
    To me, none of those factors were important, and I "OCD" about a lot of things. I don't need to collect them all, only those that interest me, I don't care about the numbering and don't care about the baseplate style, as long as they stand and are consistently faithful to the BrickHeadz concept. But from a true collector's point of view, you're totally right.
    As an example, I collected all of the SW BHs except for Han Solo and Chewbacca, the former because it just reflects an iteration of the character that I don't like, the latter because it is simply horrible and looks like a dog. And not having those two doesn't bother me at all.

SumoLego said:
    jnscoelho said:
    I guess it was that kind of contempt that lead LEGO to cancel the BrickHeadz theme, which, in my opinion, was a great commercial bet as it could target not only LEGO fans but also collectors that usually don't look/collect LEGO, and also because it had a low price point.
    We really have no idea why the line was discontinued abruptly.  (Or not abruptly?)  And it helps to be reminded that the vast, vast bulk of LEGO sales are to non-collectors. Everything is directed at their largest market: kids.

For the most part, the collector market ignores the Friends theme - and that's been the product that has buoyed the recent runaway success.  I look at the collector world of Funko, and I am happy LEGO has little to do with the same market.  It appears to me that Funko does a lot of work to sell less product.

Funko's Q1 Revenue in 2018 - $143 million.  LEGO's Q1 Revenue in 2018 - $2 BILLION.

Constractables seem to survive - with some sets having significant discounts.  I'm pretty sure collectors revile these sets and there is little secondary market for them.  My guess is that they sell sufficient volume at a healthy margin to warrant additional sets.

If the collector market ever becomes LEGO's focus, then we are all doomed.

Anyway, without being privvy to sales figures or marketing reports, we really have no idea.
    I never suggested that LEGO's focus should be the collector market nor that it is.
    I was just saying that, IMO, the BrickHeadz theme had no play value (or next to none) and therefore it could only try to go into that $143 million niche, with the advantage (or not) that it could still bring some AFOLs into it (but could also not be attractive to people not into LEGO). But the strategy used for BrickHeadz was totally wrong, from their introduction, like CCC said, to the overwhelming release of new sets - too many lead to saturation, people couldn't get them all at the same time so that lead to frustration, and some thought the line would "live longer" and decided to postpone buying some of the sets they wanted. 
    And the theme also had one thing that Funko doesn't have and that, for me, was one of the best sets of 2018: Go Brick Me. Even my 3 year old daughter had a lots of fun building a LEGO version of herself. And this set would could have been a great entry point to the theme, despite it's price and limitations in piece numbers and colours.

SumoLego
    I think go brick me might be a reasonable winner long term. I was late to the brickheadz game as I wasn't really interested in most of them but that was one I went for and my kids loved it, and played with it for hours improving their designs. Although parts are general and so can be BLed easy enough, it is nice to have a kit with suggestions to start off. I can see it making 1.5x RRP and possibly twice RRP. There aren't many on BL. I bought a few spare sets at 50% off, at that price they were a steal, even if just used as parts packs.
    pharmjodSumoLego
    I managed to get mine (two of them, since we needed to build 4 people) just before they sold out around here, I think it was in November. If I could I would have gotten at least one more.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,229
    Not to mention that the set had an insanely low price per part, so people might be willing to pay a fair way above RRP just for the pieces if they consider it to still be good value.
    jnscoelho said:
    I was just saying that, IMO, the BrickHeadz theme had no play value (or next to none) and therefore it could only try to go into that $143 million niche, with the advantage (or not) that it could still bring some AFOLs into it (but could also not be attractive to people not into LEGO).
    I totally agree - the complete lack of play value is a siginifcant detriment.  I've actively disliked everything about Brickheadz - the faddishness, etc.  Although I do agree that Go Brick Me is the outlier and does make for a fun set.

Even if they cornered that $143M market, that's probably itself too small to justify the product.  That's 7% of LEGO's total market.  

(And I wasn't suggesting you were suggesting LEGO cater to the collector market.  But I'm not convinced that any amount of marketing would have made this line a long-term success.)
    catwrangler
    @SumoLego brickheadz have as much play value as all those sealed polys and CMF you have =P
    SumoLegodmcc0Pitfall69gmonkey76Baby_Yoda560Heliport
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,475
    ^ So, a snowman with microcephaly then?
    sid3windr
    ^^ Wait, is that an FJ Cruiser I see???? You guys are going to get a ton of snow today!!!
    SumoLegogmonkey76Mynatt
    edited January 19
    Yes, apparently two feet of snow.  Thus, why I will be building a snowman.  (And not spoiling any of my CMFs or polybags by opening and/or building them.)

Yes, it's a FJ.  As if there needed to be more proof that I am a man-child...
    Pitfall69datsunrobbiepharmjodgmonkey76Mynatt
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,461
    Don't forget to keep that dryer vent clean. :-)
    SumoLego
    Is that a dryer vent or a junction box???
    SumoLego
    Pitfall69 said:
    Junction box.  Although I have a lovely garagio, it is not heated.  (Because that would be ridiculous, even for me.)
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 489
    Back on topic, now our secret's out :(
    ^You know; saying "back on topic" doesn't work. It's like telling someone to "calm down"; has that ever worked in the history of people telling other people to "calm down"? ;)
    BumblepantsSumoLegoBaby_Yoda560Heliport
    SumoLego said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    Junction box.  Although I have a lovely garagio, it is not heated.  (Because that would be ridiculous, even for me.)
    Wait; you have turned your garage into a screened in patio? I didn't know you were Italian?
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,443
    Pitfall69 said:
    SumoLego said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    Wait; you have turned your garage into a screened in patio? I didn't know you were Italian?
    I had a heated, and air condition garage once😢 and in the winter I would even bbq from just inside the overhead door in the winter. Even when I got home from work after midnight, and yes my mom is 100% Italian.
    SumoLegoPitfall69SeijiAmasawa
    Pitfall69 said:
    Yes, I have an Italian Patio Garage Room... aka Garagio.  I'm only Italian by marriage.  

(Of course, note the second refrigerator, and Venice-themed wall hanging.)
    Pitfall69SeijiAmasawagmonkey76Baby_Yodasid3windrMynatt
    ^It was either that or a painting of the Last Supper and a random oil lamp on an end table somewhere. 
    SumoLego
    I did have to get rid of the non-functional console television and the NordicTrak.

Ironically, I'm the only one that actually spends time in the garage.
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 738
    SumoLego said:

Ironically, I'm the only one that actually spends time in the garage.
    That'll be because there's an armchair in front of the door
    Bumblepantssid3windrSumoLego
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 489
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^You know; saying "back on topic" doesn't work. It's like telling someone to "calm down"; has that ever worked in the history of people telling other people to "calm down"? ;)
    Noted. When I see you 3 going on & on, I'll remember to keep out of it & not interfere.
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^^ Wait, is that an FJ Cruiser I see???? You guys are going to get a ton of snow today!!!

It was only a foot or so of snow.  Not too bad, really.
    Pitfall69MynattMegtheCatgmonkey76davetheoxygenman560Heliportsklamb