Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Brickset Bonusball - Apocalypseburg Edition - (19th January 2019 Draw)

iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,029
edited January 17 in Everything else LEGO

Another week, another Bonusball Draw and this time, I've got something quite unique for the winner. Small, but unique.

I attended the #70840 Welcome to Apocalypseburg! signing in London today and managed to blag a little something from Justin and Paul for the draw. Knowing that a lot of people can't attend these events I've got a 2x4 tile signed by both of them to give away.

Why a 2x4 tile? Well it just so happens that a sand green tile fits neatly near the top on the official model (see pic) – so you can have a signed model instead of a signed box – and it costs me a lot less to post than a the box – we're all winners here :-)

Just two things, which I obviously can't enforce in any way, so I'll let God and your conscience deal with them.

1 – If you're not really bothered about getting the set, then please do not enter and leave this opportunity open for just those that are.

2 – Might be stating the obvious, but don't eBay the tile if you win it. I had a conversation with shop staff about such items not appearing on the secondary market!

As a bonus, I'll throw in an I Love LEGO Store London 2x4 tile if you haven't been to Leicester Square and got one already.

Here's what you're playing for:- (Edit: At the last minute I decided to obliterate half of each signature before posting due to size. It obviously looks much better than this for real!)

If any new people have recently joined and wonder what this is, it's simple. Answer a question, and get a number based on your post in order between 1 and 59 for the UK national lottery bonus ball.  If your number gets drawn on Saturday night you win the prize.  If you don't make the first 59 replies, well there's always next week to be a little quicker.

With the imminent release of TLM2, this weeks question is about Cinema. The question is:-

What is the first film you remember going to the cinema to see?

Mine was Island at the Top of the World (1974) so I was aged only 4 or 5 then. I remember being bored and wanting to leave. I didn't really follow the film but my mum had taken me because it had some animated shorts before it which I enjoyed. I don't remember much from that age but this sticks out as the cinema in our town closed a few years later and it's the only film I remember going there to see.

No double posts or comments until number 59 has been taken please - it's easier for my old tired brain to count.

Best of luck peeps.

Mr_CrossBumblepantsstluxFowlerBricksbandit778SumoLegoLobotGibbo1959oldtodd33SeijiAmasawaLego_StarToc13davetheoxygenmanGothamConstructionCogmonkey76alijoezacsnowhitiemessydmcc0

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,351
    edited January 17
    First movie I remember going to the theatre to see was 'Follow that Bird' in 1985.  Greatest movie ever.

Then we saw Transformers in 1986, and I never wanted to see another movie again.  (Basically, everybody dies - very traumatizing!)
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,377
     Either ET or the Empire Strikes Back. Awesome films!

But not as Awesome as the prizes!!!
    Lobot
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,753
    First one I remember was E.T. at the drive-ins with my sister, aunt, and uncle.
    Lobot
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 388
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang for me in 1968. I’d have been 5
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,473
    I remember going to Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. I'm pretty sure I was taken to some earlier Disney works but I don't remember the experience.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 683
    Bambi, I think I was 5, so 1974.
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,012
    I have a very vague memory of seeing The Aristocats at a small local cinema. Not really showing my age as it was the kind of cinema that only played older films
  • brickedinbrickedin London, UKMember Posts: 423
    ROTJ, I was seven years old. To be fair I don’t remember it one little bit, but my old man is adamant he took little me. 

great prize draw @iso3200 extremely generous 
  • BastyBasty LondonMember Posts: 111
    As far back as I can remember it was The mummy, I’m sure there are lots before it but my memory is terrible. 
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 53
    101 Dalmatians! Loved it!

• adiemcadiemc UKMember Posts: 468
    A Disney double bill of one of their classic nature documentaries and Snow White.  Would have been about 1978 or 79 I reckon.  
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    edited January 17
    My first recollection of going to see a movie was Herbie the Love Bug at the drive-in. My first movie in a cinema was probably Star Wars A New Hope. 

Very nice of you to give your tile away, I don't think I could. 
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,171
    edited January 17
    Great question and thanks for hosting @iso3200
    The old memory is a little hazy going back almost 40yrs. So its probably ET in 1982 or Octopussy in 1983.
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 497
    My first memory is being taken by my sister to see The Care Bears Movie! The only bit of the film I remember is a bear shouting “heart” 
  • hoodaddyhoodaddy USMember Posts: 276
    Empire Strikes Back. My grandfather thought it was important to see, and took all 7 of his grandkids. I would have been 5 I think and loved every second of it. 
    LobotHugeYellowBrickGothamConstructionCo
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,541
    The Polar Express. I mostly just remember after getting out of the theater though. :D
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 419
    Jurassic Park.
  • Bricklover18Bricklover18 PA, USAMember Posts: 720
    I remember seeing the first shrek movie in theaters when I was about 5 or 6. I only remember seeing it because the power went out halfway through the movie!
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 487
    I am fairly certain my first movie-going experience was ""Toy Story" in 1995. My sister and I were old enough to be well-behaved in public, and the novelty of it being the first completely-CG animated film even won over my computer scientist father, who was the parent that took us to the local cinema on that day.
  • messymessy CambridgeshireMember Posts: 236
    The first film i went to see without an adult was Batman.
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,888
    The first film I saw was Star Wars, I know this as fact and it had such an impact on me it has stayed with me until now but......

I don't actually remember the visit to the cinema to see it (old age and such like).

The first film I actually remember seeing, because it was the last thing I wanted to see was Annie.
    I'll just wait for a bit for the laughter to die down.....

The reason it is so well remembered is the school, in one of their summer holiday 'take the kids out from under the parents feet days', were doing a trip to the cinema so me and my sibling were packed off to see one of 3 films (the Cinema only had 3 screens in those days, it was only 1982).

My first choice of film was Rocky 3, but parental guidance being what it was, I was informed that under no circumstances was I allowed to see that.
    Next up was Star Trek 2, I wouldn't have been upset to see this but was vetoed by my elder sister as she wasn't going to sit through a sci-fi film no matter what.
    Which left Annie.
    The parents had paid for our cinema tickets and the school made sure we were going to sit through something.
    I swear to this day any child with an over abundance of curly, ginger hair brings it all back in a cold sweat.
    Lobot560Heliport
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
    First movie I can remember would be Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

(searches frantically to find the dvd to watch again).
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 918

E.T. - at the age of about 7.

I insisted on sitting in the front row; it's still one of my all-time favourites.

• Leandro16Leandro16 New Jersey Member Posts: 48
    My first movie I went to see was Batman, I guess that’s why I love everything to do with Batman.
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 330
    The first things I recall are two animations for Transformers and My Little Pony at some point in the mid-80s.

Back then my local cinema as know for being pretty poor and getting films years after release. So the first proper film I recall was E.T. It was only living around the corner from my house at the time, so that would put it in 1986/7 when I was 5, well after the film came out.

I recall being frightened so much and the scene where E.T. was dressed up in the hat and wig was just too much for 5 year old me and I had to leave the cinema.
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 285
    I certainly have seen other films before but I can’t seem to remember. The one that keeps popping in my mind is Speed together with my dad. Man, I really wanted to be as Keanu and instantly fell in love with Sandra Bullock. :-)
  • Darthtater147Darthtater147 United StatesMember Posts: 43
    The Land Before Time
  • bulbathorbulbathor UKMember Posts: 42
    I can’t believe how many people’s first film was something iconic like Star Wars! Mine was Mousetrap with my class at school...

• stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,102
    Paniekzaaiers (Panic Creators?) from Flemish comedy duo Gaston and Leo. Don't really remember anything from it, and pretty sure that's not a great loss. They were very popular in the 80's, but even then, as a child, it wasn't my kind of humour.

2nd movie I saw in the cinema was a "from the vault" rerun of Disney's Jungle Book. Liked that one a lot better!

Thanks for hosting @iso3200!
    Covi
  • mak0137mak0137 VirginiaMember Posts: 238
    A bug's life.
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 853
    I can't remember my first 'proper' film but I can remember where. Old school queuing up outside.  I remember seeing some of Star Wars at a holiday camp cinema when I was very young, Luke and Leia swinging across the shaft is stuck in my head.
  • f2iso100f2iso100 United StatesMember Posts: 30
    I saw Pippi Longstocking!
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 625
    Star Wars when it was first released. Aged 5. I told my older brother it was the best film ever made and ever will be made. He mocked me about that for a good chunk of my childhood for that, but now I'm kinda inclined to agree with my 5 year old self. I no longer sleep with the Princess Leia bubblegum card under my pillow though.
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 236
    Good question @iso3200 and great prize. Took a bit of thinking but I do recall going to a drive in cinema when we visited family in South Africa in the winter of 1963/4 when I was 4 and I think the film was called That Darn Cat. 
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,229
    edited January 17
    I’m told m first cinema experience was Digby, the biggest dog in the world but as I was only 2 when it was released it must have been on a second run. First I can actually remember seeing was Star Wars.

Thanks for a good question and unique prize @iso3200
  • VgangVgang CyprusMember Posts: 32
    I can’t be sure, but the one I seem to remember is a Back to the Future movie, not sure which one.
  • Pate5346Pate5346 Member Posts: 730
    When I was 13 or 14 with a school. Still occasionally watch it every other year. Although Can't really translate it's title.

Thanks for hosting and great prize @iso3200
  • caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 379
    My dad took me to see The Empire Strikes Back, checking the release date, I would have been 6 years old.
    Pitfall69
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,230
    I don't remember my first film, but for one summer in 1978, I went to a lot of Godzilla movie marathons with my best friend. This was a time when parents could drop off kids at the movies for hours and not have to worry. When the street lamps turned on, you knew it was time to get your butt home :)
    oldtodd33SumoLegoGothamConstructionCo
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 828
    I think it was some matinee showing like 101 Dalmations, or Lady and the Tramp - my mum used to take me to all sorts of old movies that were on.

But I also remember going to go see the Care Bears Movie when I must have been about 5, so there's no accounting for taste here :)
  • mampepinmampepin CanadaMember Posts: 61
    It was Pocahontas, and I mostly remember it because we were late, so we missed the intro, and I was ill, so all I had for snacks was a bottle of diluted juice (half OJ, half water), which to this day I still consider a crime against tastebuds.
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 211
    ET or Santa Claus The Movie
    Thanks!
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,862
    edited January 17
    I can't be sure. I do remember my Mum taking me to see my first ever "12" rated film though...
    Batman.
    Thanks Mum.
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 232
    E.T.  Cried for days (intermittently, but still)...
  • vvmilanvvmilan USAMember Posts: 14
    Interesting thread and the prize is great too. Thanks for holding this.
    I don't remember the first few movies I went to when I was young, because I like to sleep in the theater.....
    When I was a teenager, the first one was Harry Potter. I felt a little disappointed because it was not as good as the book......
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,381
    I remember my mom taking me to see The Empire Strikes Back. I would of been 4 or 5 and can still remember the Battle of Hoth.
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 754
    Enchanted, and I love it!
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 916
    Star Wars: Return of the Jedi in 1983, I was 3!
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 472
    Excellent question, and prize.

Probably Disney's "Fantasia" but not on it's first release. I watch it again occasionally.
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    edited January 18
    I really have no memory of the first film I ever saw, it wasn't something I remember doing with my family.  I do remember drive-in movies.  But, the first movie I purchased (a DVD of) was Fantasia - still love to watch it ...

Thank you @iso3200 for hosting this week!  Good luck to everyone.