Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LDD 2018/2019 update?

BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 90
Although LDD has officially been abandoned by Lego, the last 2 years have included small updates with the previous years pieces. (i.e January 2018 had an update with all the new 2017 pieces). Is there a 2019 update with 2018's pieces due? Will Lego ever have some sense and restart funding/updates/bug fixes for Lego Digital Designer?

Note* I put this discussion under Building and Techniques since I would consider LDD (and other Lego related CAD programs) relevant to building since they are a useful tool for building/designing Lego.
Bumblepants

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,395
    I hope so, I have tried using other programs but they just don't work as well as I want them to. Either that or I am old and stuck in my ways.
    scottdd2rd1899
  • BrickchapBrickchap AustraliaMember Posts: 90
    @Bumblepants No, its not your age. Many FOLs have praised Studio but I think its a disgrace. It sucks. It is impossible to use. I kind of understand the movement being different to LDD (that Im used to) so it might seem difficult but just finding pieces, colouring them is extremely UN-user friendly such as every time I tried to move a brick it copied itself.

The difficultly/annoyance of building minifigs (my favorite thing to do) was the final straw for Studio. There was a nice selection of prints but who the hell wants to sit for hours putting arms and hands and torsos of minifigs together!

What would be nice (if Lego themselves just did it would be better of course) but if someone (with permission) basically took over LDD and 'looked after it' in regards the technical stuff (bugs and all that) but of course added new pieces when they were released and new prints. (the minifig torso and head prints on LDD currently are a nice collection but there are so many ones that have come out since then that would be extremely useful.) Btw have you ever noticed theres never been a regular chef torso?

This WW1 era bus (I used gave studio a try since LDD doesnt have that old Fabuland staircase piece which is critical for an old double decker) took me about 2 hours (probs more) to build using Studio. I could do it in 20 mins on LDD (including photo research and thinking about how I would build it)

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,364
    Personally I much prefer Studio. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's far more powerful than LDD, and easier to use than LDraw/MCAD.

I'm honestly not sure why anyone would create minifigs in it though? I use it primarily for creating instructions for models.
    sid3windr
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 315
    I'm a CAD professional being a mechanical designer by trade and I have to say that Studio is an absolutely wonderful LEGO design software. It's by far the best LEGO CAD system I've used... and I've used a lot of them over the years (going back into the late 90s). It's come a long way in it's short life and I only see things getting better for it. LDD was always frustrating to me because of it's limitations. I understand it probably made things easier for those with no knowledge of design software, but it was still severely limited.
    I definitely suggest giving Studio another go and taking a little bit of time to familiarize yourself with it's workings. You'll be well rewarded for the effort.
    Paperballparkdmcc0
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 626
    Keep in mind that Stud.io is still in beta. I still prefer LDD as my main building software as well, but Stud.io shows more promise to me than any other unofficial CAD software I've tried, and I look forward to seeing how it develops.
    Aanchir
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,307
    edited January 14
    I find LDD pretty impossible to find parts in; the building itself goes fairly well.

Stud.io is the exact other way around, I find all my parts with immense ease and can build basic stuff very easily, but I stopped building an instruction as I couldn't fit the train base plate onto the bogie pin no matter what I tried.
    Aanchir
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,256
    edited January 15
    I will always stick to LDD. It's easy, efficient, I can add custom decals, and I am always satisfied with the renders Bluerender provides. The other programs have lower quality part models, no custom decorations, subpar rendering, or they're just extremely complex, and I don't want to have to learn Blender. So I really hope we get an update to LDD soon, idk why they stopped. Too much money? Maybe they could stop investing in apps and games that always flop
    BumblepantsBaby_Yoda7BSBrickchap
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts.Member Posts: 190
    I, weirdly, can't get LDD to install on my Windows 10 desktop. It complains that Flash isn't installed. It cam by default with Windows 10...
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,996
    Brickchap said:
    @Bumblepants No, its not your age. Many FOLs have praised Studio but I think its a disgrace. It sucks. It is impossible to use. I kind of understand the movement being different to LDD (that Im used to) so it might seem difficult but just finding pieces, colouring them is extremely UN-user friendly such as every time I tried to move a brick it copied itself.

The difficultly/annoyance of building minifigs (my favorite thing to do) was the final straw for Studio. There was a nice selection of prints but who the hell wants to sit for hours putting arms and hands and torsos of minifigs together!

What would be nice (if Lego themselves just did it would be better of course) but if someone (with permission) basically took over LDD and 'looked after it' in regards the technical stuff (bugs and all that) but of course added new pieces when they were released and new prints. (the minifig torso and head prints on LDD currently are a nice collection but there are so many ones that have come out since then that would be extremely useful.) Btw have you ever noticed theres never been a regular chef torso?

This WW1 era bus (I used gave studio a try since LDD doesnt have that old Fabuland staircase piece which is critical for an old double decker) took me about 2 hours (probs more) to build using Studio. I could do it in 20 mins on LDD (including photo research and thinking about how I would build it)

No image.