Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Insuring your collection

PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,323
edited January 9 in Collecting
I won't go into too much detail here, but I recently decided to rent a secure storage unit to store my Lego in while I move house (hopefully it'll sell quicker if it's not rammed full of Lego!).

I asked my home contents insurance provider to give me a quote for insuring my Lego collection in the storage unit. Bear in mind at this point that my insurance company were previously unaware of my collection - I suspect like many AFoLs I just assumed it would be covered under normal contents insurance, as long as it didn't exceed the total insured value.

They got back to me a couple of days later, and said that it was a bit complicated. To insure the storage unit I'd have to take out a separate policy with them, which was quite expensive (i.e. a rip-off).

But that wasn't the killer.

Apparently, once I moved my Lego back into my house, I was to tell them I had, because at that point they would cancel my current insurance policy. Basically, although they were willing to insure my Lego in a secure storage unit, it turns out that they weren't willing to do so if it was in my home!

Thankfully I was quickly able to get a new insurance policy with my bank, who were happy to insure my collection in my house, and gave me a very reasonable price for insuring the storage unit too.

So the moral of the story is, don't just assume your insurance provider will automatically insure your collection, because some won't!
TheBigLegoskiLittleLorird1899Baby_YodaMr_CrossomniumFowlerBricksakunthitaBrainsluggedFizyxMegtheCatsnowhitiePolyphemusRonyar

Comments