New Brickset Facebook Group

pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 529
As announced on the front page today, there is a new Facebook group for Brickset. I think it's a wonderful idea and full welcome it, but as my experience has gone with many other instances of forums getting supplemented by, and eventually supplanted by Facebook groups, I most certainly hope that the Brickset forums are still around for a long time. The Facebook groups are great for certain types of communications and community building, but they most certainly don't hold the same level of long term value (searching for old threads, logical sorting of topics, ease of navigation, etc.). But of course I joined up right away and do truly hope that it becomes a lively group for LEGO chat!
Brickchap

Comments

• AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,468
    I don’t use FB at all, so I really hope it doesn’t supplant these forums.
    Oldfansid3windrdavetheoxygenmangmonkey76Brickchap
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 873
    ^ Same here. I won't use Facebook.
    Oldfangmonkey76Brickchap
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 462
    I signed up too.  But while a FB page might be a supplement, I’ve never seen them to be as useful as a good forum such as this.  
    Brickchap
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,458
    I check Facebook once a week at most. Joined the group, but don't expect to be actually using it at all.
  • MegtheCatMegtheCat Houston, TXMember Posts: 497
    I too joined up, but I don't spend much time looking at FB on a daily basis, and in fact only belong to keep in contact with my older relatives and far-flung classmates. 
    pxchris
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,439
    I have no plans to replace the forum with the Facebook group. I see it as supplemental to it, probably more appealing to the casual AFOL than the forum. 
    klintonpxchrisdavetheoxygenman
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 550
    I like the idea of a fb group, tbh. Conversations on fb can be a lot more rapid and animated on that platform. While I'll always prefer a message board (I'm old) for the ease of use, fb does have it's benefits. Now we have both. 
    pxchris
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,225
    I don't use Facebook, so I demand daily screenshots of everything posted in the group so I can stay up to date with in-jokes!
    Bumblepantsdmcc0kiki180703sid3windrpxchrisgmonkey76SprinkleOtter
  • adam_adam_ IrelandMember Posts: 12
    FB groups do have a place and they do open groups up to a wider audience but with the decline in 'older' people using FB and in general users falling back to forums for more niche subjects I would say the FB group would be limited in exposure now compared to  the social media boom a couple years ago.

I'm a ex-Facebook'er myself so you wont see me around there.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,782
    I'm not sure I see the point. Similar with comments on articles. They just dilute conversations / comments all over the place.

I guess it is to attract people to Brickset that don't want to join the forum.
    sid3windr
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,374
    The most important thing here is: Are memes allowed???
    BumblepantsBaby_Yodagmonkey76VorpalRyuSprinkleOtter
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,822
    Pitfall69 said:
    It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission...
    dmcc0bandit778Baby_Yodagmonkey76GothamConstructionCoVorpalRyuSprinkleOtter
    Pitfall69 said:
    You must be married ;)
    bandit778BumblepantsBaby_YodaGothamConstructionCoVorpalRyuSprinkleOtter
    Pitfall69 said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    You must be married ;)
    I also got caught by the other half of the marriage with an previously unknown Ninjago City Docks just today...
    Pitfall69SumoLegodavetheoxygenmannwr122gmonkey76MegtheCatVorpalRyuSprinkleOtter
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,446
    I wonder if there's a discussion on the FB group about the forums...
    pxchrisPitfall69davetheoxygenmanMr_Crosssid3windrOldfanSprinkleOtter
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 462
    Pitfall69 said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    You must be married ;)
    I also got caught by the other half of the marriage with an previously unknown Ninjago City Docks just today...
    Forgiveness it is!  I’m probably fortunate in that my wife is pushing me to order Ninjago city while it’s 20% off at Costco.  I warned her we’d need to buy the docks later on to go with it as well...
    Pitfall69LittleLori
    Yes...it's like a parallel universe or something like Bizarro World. Either way, I'm not funny there either. Is there even a place where I can be accepted? 
    SumoLegodavetheoxygenmanBumblepantsgmonkey76pxchrisVorpalRyudmcc0SprinkleOtter
    Pitfall69 said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    You must be married ;)
    I would have loved to see how that all played out. I have heard countless stories of people hiding Lego purchases from their significant other. Most people just have it shipped to their work. The Docks isn't easy to hide though.
    SumoLegogmonkey76VorpalRyuSprinkleOtter
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,907
    Pitfall69 said:
    Yes...it's like a parallel universe or something like Bizarro World. Either way, I'm not funny there either. Is there even a place where I can be accepted? 
    Try EuroBricks.  I'm sure they'll appreciate your irreverent discourse.
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76VorpalRyudmcc0SprinkleOtter
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,225
    The shipping box could hardly fit in the back seat of my car, let alone inconspicuously under my jacket...
    SprinkleOtter
    Pitfall69 said:
    I would have loved to see how that all played out. I have heard countless stories of people hiding Lego purchases from their significant other. Most people just have it shipped to their work. The Docks isn't easy to hide though.
    Oh I brought it back from Amazon Germany months ago unboxed. The truth came out when I tried to build it yesterday.
    Mr_Cross560Heliport
  • nwr122nwr122 GlasgowMember Posts: 126
    Brickset forums are my facebook. Just without the faces and pyramids scheme marketing programs.
    Also minus the vague-book like status updates....

"I'm done with 2x4 tiles, don't need that negativity in my life..."

Cue random person saying

"You ok hun? PM u x"
    BumblepantsBaby_YodaPitfall69SprinkleOtterLittleLori
    I had a quick look, it seems to be all about posting meme style images saying thank you for the invitation to join.
    SprinkleOtter
    ^ As I said, it caters for a completely different audience...
    CCCdmcc0SprinkleOtter
    Is it now private? Yesterday you could have a look around without joining (a bit like you can still do with the forum), but now it seems no posts are shown unless you join.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,393
    Yes, was requested by someone and Huw obliged (he said so in the article comments on the main site). I mostly agree with this, I prefer the groups I am in on FB to be closed. Then again that does make it less appealing to join, as you need to explicitly do so to see if you like the content...
    Apparently some people don't want their LEGO activity visible to their non LEGO friends so making it closed prevents that.

You can always leave if you don't like it!
    sid3windrpxchrisMegtheCatBaby_YodaDeMontesdmcc0SprinkleOtterPitfall69pharmjod
    @Huw ; is there any moderation of the Facebook page? A member is currently being attacked for posting an "innocent" picture of unopened boxes. 
    SprinkleOtter
    Huw said:
    Apparently some people don't want their LEGO activity visible to their non LEGO friends so making it closed prevents that.

You can always leave if you don't like it!
    I agree. It's just as easy to just leave. I do like that I can now put a face with a username :) 
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    ^ Not mine, it's just a picture of my other F-250. 
    gmonkey76
    oldtodd33 said:
    ^ Not mine, it's just a picture of my other F-250. 
    ...and I know more about your F-250 than most people should ;)
    gmonkey76SumoLegoSprinkleOtter