Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

For which themes do you have a complete collection of sets?

1235»

Comments

• CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    CCC said:

I was LOTR complete but then I threw away a load of the boxes and mixed all the parts up. So I cannot say I am complete there. I can confidently predict I will never rebuild them all. Although I can say I did at least build them all once unlike sets from most series that go straight to my moc set.

I find this post both sickening and liberating at the same time. I really want to MOC with my LotR / Hobbit sets and have considered mixing them up on more than one occasion. I just can't do it though. They are... Precious to me.
    FollowsCloselynerick906
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    edited December 2013
    I'm sure this is starting to breach another thread and subject all together but to add my two cents, for what it's worth, I've also recently been "liberated" it's good deciding to focus on certain themes, lines or even sets. I think to each his or her own and ultimately we all share a similar passion that we reach and enjoy in unique ways.

By this I mean if you decide to toss the boxes? So be it. Sell the parts and keep the figs? Vice versa? Good for you! At any rate you get it...
    FollowsClosely
  • BoiseStateBoiseState Member Posts: 804
    I have all HP minifigures, but not the sets.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 476
    Modulars, LOTR, Hobbit, and Winter Village Market shy of the Winter Village theme. I think I will stop collecting the Winter Village though as I am out of space for that display, and after Hobbit and LOTR themes end next year, then Modulars will be the only theme I will ever continue to complete. So good for my wallet.
    FollowsClosely
  • SquareSideSquareSide Member Posts: 170
    Ironically I just need the cheapest set for the Lego Castle theme to be complete this year(if that counts). xD
  • SuperTrampSuperTramp City 17Member Posts: 1,021
    None, theres always one set in a theme i don't care about.
    vitreolumFollowsCloselyicey117
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,676
    CircleK said:

CCC said:

I was LOTR complete but then I threw away a load of the boxes and mixed all the parts up. So I cannot say I am complete there. I can confidently predict I will never rebuild them all. Although I can say I did at least build them all once unlike sets from most series that go straight to my moc set.

I find this post both sickening and liberating at the same time. I really want to MOC with my LotR / Hobbit sets and have considered mixing them up on more than one occasion. I just can't do it though. They are... Precious to me.
    It is very liberating! I can of course always sort the parts out if I really want to, but I doubt I ever will. Plus I know that nobody has got exactly the same Helm's Deep as me.

I am sure that I will always enjoy displaying my work more than someone else's.

I doubt I will ever sell my stuff. Sorry for mentioning reselling here but .... If I do sell it off, it is all used anyway (that's not quite true, as I do have a couple of sets in mint boxes to sell later. I don't consider them as mine - they are investments). I could reform the used sets and try to sell them without the boxes. But then, the real value now is in the minifigs. The future value will also be in the minifigs. There will be the same bricks in sets in the future. There will not be the same minifigs. They are easy enough to find and sell off individually or as a group and I can recoup most of the value. The bricks can just be sold as bulk castle bricks if I really don't want them. But that isn't going to happen any time soon.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    emilewski said:

Modulars, LOTR, Hobbit, and Winter Village Market shy of the Winter Village theme. I think I will stop collecting the Winter Village though as I am out of space for that display, and after Hobbit and LOTR themes end next year, then Modulars will be the only theme I will ever continue to complete. So good for my wallet.

Until the next good theme appears, right? :)
    icey117
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 509

So true... after a quiet year, maybe two - something exciting always comes up... but I do feel the selective collector attitude is being sharpened. I found out what I want to collect... instead of craving anything with the LEGO logo on. :-) (The first year out after the Dark Age was not really a moderate one)
    lucian
  • PlellPlell Member Posts: 192
    I've got every MBA set, not that it's all that difficult a theme to collect. I used to have a complete Architecture collection, but now it seems like that will never again be the case.
    scrumpermurphquake
  • murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    The only thing I've truly got every set of including polybags is Monster Fighters

I need the Lone Ranger Pumpcar poly to have that whole line, though it seems a bit silly.

I've got every Chima speedorz, constraction figures, polybags & all but one accessory pack so far, which has finally shown up on BL...

This year I'm going completist on Star Wars and I'm pretty close for 2012 as well (I think I just need Malevolence).. still haven't gotten Sail Barge/RGS/AT-TE but everything else I have for 2013 aside from the Toy Fair & Media promo stuff for Yoda Chronicles (but I do have the Times Square TRU Yoda =-) I have all 12 Planet Series sets and I have all the Chibi style SDCC/NYCC/SWC VI sets.

I'm 1 CMF away from having all of them including Mr. Gold ( =-D ), Team GB and the Toy Soldier, plus I have all the alternate CMFs so far from gear and accessory packs (clown from birthday set, beach/halloween/rock band accessory set, brick calendar, VIP top 5 set and even the Lady Liberty magnet =-) saw they did a pretzel boy keychain or magnet in germany, guess i need that)

• murphquakemurphquake Member Posts: 651
    @plell reminded me of another... MBA... I have all the kits 1-12 and several extras, they had the yellow & black box of level 2 for $40 at lego kids fest but i passed... I'd like to have 3 or 4 of each level's figure so i can have them with each set's accessories (plus I like them). Could always buy all the new ones and get them.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    Not a single one. I usually find one or two things here and there that I want to build but generally speaking I'm not a set collector. I collect minifigs and I have a massive collection of pieces/parts for mocs.
  • simonskluksimonskluk Member Posts: 5
    Modulars, winter shops, toy story, cuusso, potc, Atlantis, pop, pharoahs quest, minecraft..... I think I have a problem!!!!!!!!
    FollowsClosely
  • jondesouzaCEjondesouzaCE UKMember Posts: 242
    icey117 said:

So true... after a quiet year, maybe two - something exciting always comes up... but I do feel the selective collector attitude is being sharpened. I found out what I want to collect... instead of craving anything with the LEGO logo on. :-) (The first year out after the Dark Age was not really a moderate one)
    That's the process I'm still going through. To start with I was trying to search out the Castle and Space sets I'd missed during my dark ages and started to collect Modulars, CMFs, Monster Fighters, LotR/Hobbit, City, Super Heroes as well as anything else which took my fancy (and/or was on sale at a good discount). In five years I've run out of space in my loft and am looking to scale back to just the Modulars, Super Heroes, City buildings and maybe LotR/Hobbit.

I'm not quite sure I'm at 'liberated' just yet especially as I'm 1-3 sets from completing 5 themes. I'm finding it difficult to stick to not buying any more rather than doing what my collector mentality would have me do which is fill the gaps!
    icey117
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 961

I'm on that same journey, down to 12. I'm not worried about variants, just one of each character.

I'm on that same journey, down to 12. I'm not worried about variants, just one of each character.

That's part of a line you have to draw for yourself right? I've been slowly amassing LOTR figs, and decided also that I only need (the coolest) one of each character. There are a couple exceptions though, like Gandalf the Gray/White and young/old Elrond. Those are actual different characters to me, and not just wearing a different shirt.
  • vitreolumvitreolum RomaniaMember Posts: 1,406
    Same here, I don't need every single variant of each minifig, I only want those that are relevant. For example I definitely don't need the black batman with cowl 1, cowl 2 and wings; I'll just pick the one I like best. But I will collect each different suit with the variant I like best.

Same goes for SW, I don't need 20 Anakins, I'll just pick the ones I like best and that are different enough to make me want them. (eg. sw488, sw327, sw419, sw283, sw361 will do it for me)
    You can sometimes pick up the variant torsos for (reasonable cost), compared to the whole minifig. Although not always.
    icey117
    @jondesouzaCE I purchased the aquabase to fill out the gap in Aqua Raiders (2007). It's still in the box the ebayguy shipped it in. Waste of money on the one set I first didn't want from the theme. I got tirred of washing used LEGO bricks, and I'm out of space too. Down to collecting selected minifigs and Tolkien sets :-)... and TMNT ... and... and... and! :-) :-)
    edited December 2013
    @TheLoneTensor The young Eldron exclusive minifigure was so worth buying a game for a consol I don't own :-)
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,144
    Eventually one must get to a very difficult and decisive moment. For example, I am on a quest to collect all of the classic pirate sets, about 90% I can justify, pricewise and so forth. But eventually there will be the ever so expensive one or two that will be difficult for me to say, its ok, buy it. Alternatively, it could be so small and simple that I say to myself, why bother?
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    I think the only "full set" I have is every Star Wars key-chain including all the variants of the earlier ones when Lego put them in randomly different bags and gave different codes to the same key-chain.
    I hope anyway! My only proof is http://www.minifigs.nl/swminifigs/mfnl-keychain.html
    Yet I have at least 10-12 that are not on that page so there could well be more!

murphquake
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 961

That's part of a line you have to draw for yourself right? I've been slowly amassing LOTR figs, and decided also that I only need (the coolest) one of each character. There are a couple exceptions though, like Gandalf the Gray/White and young/old Elrond. Those are actual different characters to me, and not just wearing a different shirt.

Yeah, for me that will constitute a complete set of minifigs. I adopt the same approach with Superheroes. For me it's not about the hassle of tracking them all down, rather I think it cheapens a given character to have dozens of variants of it. That's just me though, I understand the completist urges that others have.

I like having the different minifig variants.

I made sure I got the two versions of Aragorn, as they relate to different parts of the story. Same with Frodo, I got the two torso variants (so a shire and a quest torso), but I couldn't care for the differences between no cape, grey cape and green cape. Saruman I went for the one with robes as it looks nicer than the one with legs.
    I agree, and I didn't mean to imply I dislike the variants or throw them in the bin. If I get them, great (heh, it's impossible not to), but I just don't seek them out. I'm actually still trying to figure out which is my "main" Frodo, green cloak from Weathertop or grey cloak from Shelob. Green is winning.