Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

My house in LEGO

pmatospmatos Eckental, GermanyMember Posts: 3
Hi,

First post here so, hey, hi!
In 2015 I finished building my new house in Germany. Well, I didn't 'really' build it but with the help of two amazing architects I designed my dream home. It's now a reality and since then I have been thinking that with all the architectural plans, it would be awesome to create a large LEGO clone of the house.

Problem is, I have no idea where to start. As in, I think I can do it in LeoCAD and then hopefully I can get a list of pieces and I can go off and buy them but the problem is, I have no knowledge of techniques that might be needed to build a house in lego. So, I can scale the house more or less (due to sizes of pieces) to a 50cmx50cm square, but I then have no idea what's best:
* which bricks for the wall and how to lay them;
* do I need to glue them?
* bricks for internal walls?
* how can I create a ceiling that opens up to see the inside;

So, I am looking for references to maybe books, online references that may aid me in understanding what's involved. Also, once I have a list of pieces I need (LeoCAD will give me that, right?) where can I get them? Any comments and suggestions, warning and other experiences would be great.

Kind regards,

Paulo Matos

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,393
    Before starting, I'd buy some LEGO sets (12+ ones) first and play with them to understand how the bricks go together.

I'd also take the scale from available doors.
  • scottdd2scottdd2 ADELAIDEMember Posts: 51

hi Paulo,

I couldn't recommend a Cad program as I just use the old Lego Digital Designer, buy once you get a parts list you can buy individual parts direct from Lego, or Bricklink is also very good for parts.

In regards to ideas on construction, I would say you could download some of the instructions from the Lego website on the modular (or you could buy one for practice), these will give you ideas on building technics and removable roofs using tiles. Bricks generally get layered like normal bricks with an overlap to lock them in. 

Bricks for the walls are a personal thing, you can use individual bricks, some are textured for effect, or you can use large panels to save a few dollars. It's all personal choice mate and that's the beauty of Lego.

Happy building

PS, I would say no to glue.

• pmatospmatos Eckental, GermanyMember Posts: 3
    CCC said:
    Before starting, I'd buy some LEGO sets (12+ ones) first and play with them to understand how the bricks go together.

I'd also take the scale from available doors.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Interesting idea about the door. Makes sense. That will probably constraint the build size/scale. Seems like the bigget one is a Door 1 x 6 x 10. That's probably large enough.
  • pmatospmatos Eckental, GermanyMember Posts: 3
    scottdd2 said:

hi Paulo,

I couldn't recommend a Cad program as I just use the old Lego Digital Designer, buy once you get a parts list you can buy individual parts direct from Lego, or Bricklink is also very good for parts.

In regards to ideas on construction, I would say you could download some of the instructions from the Lego website on the modular (or you could buy one for practice), these will give you ideas on building technics and removable roofs using tiles. Bricks generally get layered like normal bricks with an overlap to lock them in. 

Bricks for the walls are a personal thing, you can use individual bricks, some are textured for effect, or you can use large panels to save a few dollars. It's all personal choice mate and that's the beauty of Lego.

Happy building

Thanks for the suggestions as well. It will be interesting what comes out of this. What do you mean by 'Lego website on the modular'? Also, what do you call tiles? Are these the flat bricks?
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,897
    @pmatos
    If you go on the main Lego Website here and enter the set numbers for the modular buildings (which a list can be found here) and you can download the instructions for each of them to look at the different building techniques involved.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,393
    I suggest you go for a 1x4x6 door frame, and take scale from there.
    Mr_CrossBaby_Yoda
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,134
    edited January 9
    For the walls I would recommend using 1-stud-wide bricks internally. You can do this as well for the outer wall, and if necessary you can build an extra layer inside so that the inner wall colour is accurate, making the whole wall 2 studs wide.
    Lego generally top the walls with tiles and include a few studs (usually with jumper plates) so that the roof can be secured to the building but easily removed when desired. Another option is to use only tiles (no studs) and secure the roof with hinges so that it opens up, although this may be inconvenient for a larger build and can compromise the appearance since the hinges stick out.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,225
    If you have no previous experience with LEGO, I definitely recommend just buying some sets that include buildings and putting them together. The Modular buildings from the Creator Expert line are excellent, if expensive, examples. See: 
    https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Creator-Expert/subtheme-Modular-Buildings

Trying to design your house in LEGO without having LEGO experience is a bit like designing a real house without understanding how nails, screws, bricks, and plywood work. 
    sid3windr
  • scottdd2scottdd2 ADELAIDEMember Posts: 51
    pmatos said:
    scottdd2 said:

hi Paulo,

Happy building

Thanks for the suggestions as well. It will be interesting what comes out of this. What do you mean by 'Lego website on the modular'? Also, what do you call tiles? Are these the flat bricks?

no worries, yeah I missed buildings after modular.

Yes tiles are the ones without studs on top.