Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Imperial shuttle ucs 10212

thinking of getting this as saved up enough now but is it worth buying ? as it’s pretty expensive.. and I’ve never seen it in hand so I will be going just by the photos etc. I guess I was hoping somebody owns it and could tell me how awesome it is built and displayed haha 
Diggydoes

Comments

• monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,752
    It looks superb, but half the build (the 3 wings) is pretty mundane. The colouration of the white pieces is varied - I have 5 distinct shades of white - pure white, 2 shades of cream and 2 shades of bluish-ice white.  I even have variation in some of the same pieces. It is a huge (tall) model when the wings are deployed in flight mode and sat on the stand.

The SNOT techniques used make it almost believable that it is not made of Lego at all to the casual glance with the lack of stud on show.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,238
    There are a few things you can do after to easily cover up most if not all of the last visible studs and with or without that it is definitely one of the models that stands out as not looking like LEGO until you get close.  It is a lot of white, and as @monkeyhanger
     mentioned there are shades of it, but it is impressive when sitting on its stand.  Has always been near the top of my favorite sets to have on display.
  • DiggydoesDiggydoes Cologne/GermanyMember Posts: 1,065
    Have it unbuild somewhere in my basement, it was my second UCS (after the AT-ST), it survived a short "Dark ages" period of mine where i sold most of my stuff so i guess that speaks for the Set ;) 
    Tbh, i'm not a fan of building Technic Sets, so building the Wings was a real Pain in the A**, but the Result is more than worth it! Awesome Display piece in both flight and landing mode! The different shades of the White Bricks never concerned me, since it looks a little more "weathered"/"real" than with all Bricks the exact same shade! 
    After writing this, i guess i have to get it out of my basement and built it again :)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,211
    10212 is one of my favourite UCS - looks great on display, impressively robust and you can even change the position of the wings for a bit of variety.... I'd agree that the wings weren't exactly scintillating to build, but there are no other negatives that I can recall. Buy with confidence, although I'd guess that they aren't exactly cheap these days.
    Lobot
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,123
    Probably the main downside now is that it is nearly 10 years old, and will it be re-released / re-done soon?
    MaffyDFollowsClosely
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,421
    ^ That's what I'm wondering/hoping...
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,752
    I think there will be plenty of remakes before the shuttle gets done, it only really disappeared off the shelves in 2012. I'd expect redos of ISD, Tantative IV  Vader's Tie, AT-ST and maybe some new stuff  from Rogue One or Ep7/8 before the shuttle gets a reissue  that should put it at least 5 years away.
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 431
    It looks superb, but half the build (the 3 wings) is pretty mundane. The colouration of the white pieces is varied - I have 5 distinct shades of white - pure white, 2 shades of cream and 2 shades of bluish-ice white.  I even have variation in some of the same pieces. It is a huge (tall) model when the wings are deployed in flight mode and sat on the stand.

The SNOT techniques used make it almost believable that it is not made of Lego at all to the casual glance with the lack of stud on show.
    and with some "patching" you can even clean out the last few visible ones to make it perfect