Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Hi y’all!

ApryldsAprylds TexasMember Posts: 4
I’d just like to quickly introduce myself.  I’m Apryl and I have a 5 year old son, Elliott, that has now gotten into LEGOs. Fortunately for him, his mother likes to collect, so here we are.  At the moment, I have just one question...how important is it to keep the boxes for sets?  Thanks.
Bumblepants

Comments

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,389
    Welcome to the forum!

Once opened, the value of the box drops to almost nothing for most sets. If you are buying for resale, a pristine, sealed box will make the set more valuable, but the amount varies. Bricklink.com has a great price guide that will give you a feel for the differences in pricing.
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 227
    Congratulations @Aprylds you’ve just asked the perfect question to get so many different opinions that they’ll be no use at all! But for what it’s worth I’ve got pretty much every box from nearly 5 years of purchases since I got back into LEGO (singular 😉)! Not intending to resell, just slightly obsessive! Welcome to the forum.
  • ApryldsAprylds TexasMember Posts: 4
    Thanks for the input.  We have no intention of leaving the boxes sealed.  Everything has been purchased with the intent to build, and unfortunately it’s hard enough to store the sets without the boxes.  So I don’t think we’ll be keeping them.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 982
    Or you can do what I do, and keep them under the bed because they look nice and might be useful one day.
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 608

If you ever plan on selling the sets in the future, complete sets with boxes go for somewhat higher prices than sets alone. But there are so many variables and exceptions that it's really up to you and what you want to do.  While I generally don't like today's boxes compared to those from my LEGO heydays of the 70's and 80's (I miss the tray-and-slip-cover designs and the alternate builds on the back of the box...sniff), the one positive for current boxes is that they can be easily flattened for efficient storage once opened if you want to keep them around.

Welcome to brickset and have fun!

SumoLego