Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Next Modular: Town Hall (10224)

Comments

• OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    I'm in love with both the set and the goddess presenting it to us.

As a bonus, that haunted house thing looks KILLER, even zoomed out quite a bit.
  • drakusdrakus Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2012
    Video is now private?? :-(
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    hmm. makes me wonder if they are going to edit those 2 unannounced sets out of the beginning.
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    Too late to erase it from my memory though!!!!
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    ^ And we have the stills :)
  • Great_small76Great_small76 Member Posts: 23
    My 7 year old cried at the site of the 73 Emerald Nights I have stacked - not sure why because hes already built one with me - I dont think he liked the sight of too much lego - it stresses him. He was like that even with the At-At - I think the R2 size is just about right as a whole but my lad might not think that!
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 284
    ... but does it not bug anyone else that the building is so tall that the 'unfinished' sides of the building are visible over the tops of the others...?
    I see this in real life all the time, so why not have it reflected in LEGO?
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    To be honest, the Town Hall looks kind of drab. It's too pedestrian and lacks the charm of Cafe Corner or Green Grocer. I would like to see more blending of elements that would give it some character. The clock itself is pretty lame. How hard could of it have been to give us separate clock hands instead of a "dial". The haunted house does look pretty cool and it's a complete model, not just a facade like a lot of sets. The interior should hold some surprises. Looks like it might be using some large pieces similar to the City theme (to keep the price down). In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow incorporate it with City though Monster Fighters seems more logical. My guess is that it will be priced between $79-99.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    ^ I hear you about the "drab" but if you watch the video, she explains that they looked around to find what is "common" among town halls, and they found that they are generally plain, simple structures that are built symmetrical with very standard type features. So that is what they built. They did put in a few touches to make each floor slightly different using different parts, but the overall look is, well very "town hallish"

I personally like it, now I just need to MOC a DMC Deloran Time Machine to put in front of it and change the 1891 to 1955, or perhaps 1885... then I'll be a happy guy. :)

Yea, I know, it isn't THAT courthouse, it isn't even a court house, but when I first saw the first pic, that instantly jumped to my mind... Oh well...
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,099
    That's part of the problem I think, they tried to design it too much like a typical town hall which are typically boring. You mention Back to the Future; I remember in the movie that the clock tower had those cool stone gargoyles. I think this town hall could use some gargoyles.
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    I think this town hall could use some gargoyles.
    Absolutely - everything could use some gargoyles. What about those little dragons in some of the Kingdoms sets? They would work well as 'goyles.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited February 2012
    ^ I hear you about the "drab" but if you watch the video, she explains that they looked around to find what is "common" among town halls, and they found that they are generally plain, simple structures that are built symmetrical with very standard type features.
    I guess they didnt look at the UK then!

I think The Town Hall is unnecessarily drab when you look at all the things the could have done. A town hall should be a much grander gesture. Here are the major town halls in the UK, and I'd argue that all of them are more interesting ...

Manchester town hall:

Birmingham town hall:

Sheffield town hall:

Glasgow town hall:

Cardiff town hall:

Liverpool town hall:

London town hall:

London City (financial district) town hall:

Leeds town hall:
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,572
    edited February 2012
    I personally think the Town Hall Modular would be great for adapting into High Wycombe Town hall. One for High Brickham @Skegga?? :-)

• LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,825
    And not that I live in Slough, but here's it's Town Hall - all plain and simple!
  • MrBerreMrBerre Member Posts: 246
    Here's the town hall in a lineup with most of the other modulars: Look at those insane MOCs in the background: how tall are those apartment buildings?
    edited February 2012
    And not that I live in Slough
    Not that you live in Slough, but that's your town hall :o)
    Thank goodness they didnt go to Slough for their research!

We dont have a town hall, so here's the one in Wroclaw. THats the one I want us to have.
    I really cant imagine why the carry on films decided to use that as a set!

Actually I guess we do have a town hall in Dorking - although its not called that, its the place where the district council sit. Not exactly a typical design though!
    edited February 2012
    I really cant imagine why the carry on films decided to use that as a set!
    Because it's just round the corner from Pinewood Studios and makes a convincing hospital? :o)

Dorking's an intersting one though. Other than the poorly chosen brick colour, it's not that objectionable......for a modern day design.
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    Here's the town hall in a lineup with most of the other modulars: Look at those insane MOCs in the background: how tall are those apartment buildings?
    Is this an official Lego exhibit? I'm just asking since Market Street isn't included in the lineup...

• mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 935
    ^ It's at LegoWorld in Copenhagen where Brickset's 'Roving reporter Warren Elsmore' (I'm quoting from the frontpage!) is on duty!

Maybe even Lego couldn't get hold of the white hoses so they decided to leave it out ;-)
    edited February 2012
    ^^.....and the fact that the builder managed to obtain a pre-release copy of the Town Hall.
  • GrogallGrogall Munich, GermanyMember Posts: 159
  • DuchessaDuchessa Member Posts: 287
    edited February 2012
    Of course I know that it's Lego World in Copenhagen right now, since I'm swedish. I blame the nasty cold that kept me home from work :)
    But it's still interesting that Market Street isn't included. It must be the white hoses. And the dark blue arches
    edited February 2012
    PS - if any admins are around and feel like thread-slicing, Ive just realised there's a separate town hall thread - doh!
    Good grief, thats an amazing town hall!
    Not a bad Moc either
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    My local town hall has some elements of the LEGO set, see picture. And just to stay on topic: I would doubt R2D2 is motorized, I think that would really effect the design of the overall character, if they had to get 2 sets of wheels moving. Then of course, we would all want a pop-out lightsaber, all those little hands to work, his lights to blink. Seems like he would need to be much bigger, and cost much more than $150 for that.
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    If you want the real thing, there are many people who built their own. I saw a couple of them at last year LFCC :)
    It's because Market Street was created by an AFOL on their design by me thingy. It wasn't created by a lego designer/ builder.
  • llanowarsoldierllanowarsoldier Ohio USAMember Posts: 357
    Actually if you look at Grand Emporium, you will see a little bit of Market Street beside it. Mainly the roof.
    According to Lego shop at home, the official release date is March 1st.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,110
    hey Aussies - only $249.99! I'll miss exporting these over to you all, but I'm happy you aren't getting charged double anymore.
    hey Aussies - only $249.99! I'll miss exporting these over to you all, but I'm happy you aren't getting charged double anymore.
    Wow, what gives? How come Aus pricing suddenly became fair?

• JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    The AU$ is worth more than the US$ now. Has been for a while but it takes time to catch up.
  • stephenvwstephenvw Lexington, KYMember Posts: 89
    Is there an elevator in the back corner of the town hall? That's what it looks like to me but wasn't exactly sure.
  • LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,917
    ^Yes.
  • Blue1dotBlue1dot Member Posts: 78
    Just saw Town Hall listed on [email protected], price $199, coming Mar 1.
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    Maybe it's due April the 1st. Fools!
    haha
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 284
    ^It clearly states coming March first on [email protected]
    edited February 2012
    @ Bluedot: I said the same thing 7 comments earlier.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    I believe it's releasing March 1 at $199.99 USD. ;o)
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Words on the streets around here is that it will be for sale in 12 days! Have you guys heard this??
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 714
    Somewhere I read that it will be available the 1st of March as opposed to March 1st. ;oP
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    So what is it?

03/01/2012

or

01/03/2012

Make up your mind already?!?!?! :)
    @Odindusk, didn't know the streets could talk?! hehe
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Can anyone confirm that this will be available for less than $200.00 before March 2?
  • Blue1dotBlue1dot Member Posts: 78
    sorry @starfire2, I was just so excited to finally see it pictured on [email protected], I didn't see your post. Counting down the days until I can buy it!
    @Sidersdd: According to Lego [email protected], it is $199.99. March 1st release date.
  • cloaked7cloaked7 Member Posts: 1,448
    I like the new town hall. Not every building can, or should, look as nice as the Green Grocer. As photos of some actual town halls show, some are ornate. Not sure how an ornate building would look with the existing buildings. I think some buildings should be a bit on the plain side, like the FB.

Now, I think the GG is the nicest looking building, but the FB and TH have their place in a city. I like the elevator and how the rooms focus on the mayor. I'll get the TH, primarily because I have all the other buildings except for MS. Talk about ugly buildings. MS does nothing for me.

I think it is an nice addition to the town. Will be interesting to see what others they come up with in the future. A barber shop would be really neat. A post office. A movie theater. And, even an office building. Attorneys, real estate, insurance.

The price seems to be pretty much in like with the other buildings. Would have perferred $20 less.
  • burnsideburnside Member Posts: 45
    @cloaked7 I agree, the Green Grocer is the nicest, but I have nothing against Town Hall. It represents a typical town hall quite well. Also, MS was the worse of the bunch, but I do wish I would have had the chance to pick up Cafe Corner.

I'll tell you one area where Green Grocer gets beat out by TH and even FB - the interior! All you get on the upper 2 floors is a grandfathers clock and a fireplace, really? FB had some very nice micro builds and it looks like TH does the same.

Another direction I like TH taking is how the building is themed around it's purpose, just like FB and GE. With GG and PS, you get one floor of a grocery store and a pet shop and then the rest of residency, mostly empty. I'm happy to see TH emphasizing it's purpose throughout the entire structure within the interior.