Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

LEGO CMF SERIES 20: How to bring back Mr Gold!

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,822
    shikadi said:
    The policeman made sense to me because of the nostalgia and use in city layouts, but what use does Mr Gold have in MOCs?

A statue outside a bank.
    shikadiMCNwakeboard
  • SilentModeSilentMode UKMember Posts: 579
    How do people here feel about those who've stepped in and offered their own versions of Mr Gold, for those who weren't able to obtain an official one?
    How do people here feel about those who've stepped in and offered their own versions of Mr Gold, for those who weren't able to obtain an official one?
    Doesn't bother me at all, as long as they know it is not the "real thing". But then, only so that they don't try to sell it as the real thing later.
    SilentMode560Heliportgmonkey76
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,441
    I heard a vendor selling fake Minifigures at a comiccon tell a parent that they are "basically the same as LEGO"

I shudder to think how many people buy them not knowing the difference. 
    560Heliport
    There was a brickset article on it, following Brick Shows youtube video (now gone from youtube) ...

The same thing is said at bootsales and fairs across the land. I've seen people selling fake minifigs for similar prices to the real thing, and people buying them.
  • Th1nDieselTh1nDiesel UKMember Posts: 585
    ^ Yep, there's a market stall in my local town a couple of days a week that is chock-a-block with "custom minifigures" as they are advertised, including plenty of Mr. Gold figs. They attend a few different markets in the region throughout the week, so I'm assuming they must be doing okay, sales wise. They even have a website now, selling figures with such copyright infringement free names such as Tech Tin Man, Headmaster of Wizards and Red Suit Reynolds(!). 

Interestingly, when they first appeared the focus was predominantly on second hand Lego, both individual figures and complete sets as well as their own pick-a-brick type selection, with just a handful of "customs". Now the stall is full of the knock off figures with a few (overpriced) retired sets. They've also recently started selling Fornite sets from a clone brand.

Obviously the profit margin in the knock offs is considerably more than buying/selling genuine Lego.
    Yes, fake figures cost about 70p each to import. And it seems they can then be sold for £2-£3 or more. I guess few people will pay £5 for a real figure when they can get a knock-off for £2, and the profit margin is probably similar for both. But more than  that, it is likely to be difficult to display real figures next to the fakes indicating that they cost more because they are real, as this just highlights that they are also selling fakes. Whereas if they just sell fakes people don't consider that they are not real.
    560Heliport
    I hadn't thought I've it from that perspective. They were selling genuine figures for £3 and the knock offs for £2, which makes the genuine figures look overpriced while simultaneously making buyers question why the others are cheaper.

• AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,923
    SumoLego said:
    Yeah, um.  And LEGO did not do well during those years.  That was kinda my point.

Your 'pedestrian' kids that want to play with Pokemon or LEGO aren't the market for 'rare' cards or minifigures worth fifty dollars or thousands of dollars. 

When that market draws the attention of the producer - then that market with wide appeal is destined to be doomed.  (Or turn back into a niche market.)
    LEGO didn’t do well during those years, but Bionicle absolutely did. There’s a reason subsequent themes like Ninjago have followed Bionicle’s example in many ways.
    As for whether ultra rare stuff like Mr. Gold kills the KFOL market for collectibles? Well, it obviously doesn’t, since he was released 6 years ago, the collectible minifigures seem to have remained plenty popular since, and it’s pretty much only AFOL collectors who are still bitter about there being one figure they couldn’t get.
    But either way, it’s still silly to act as though kids who play with their sets can’t also be “collectors” in their own right, or that products intended as collectibles are necessarily catering at adults at the expense of kids. After all, do you really think the people designing the randomized Bionicle mask packs from 2001 or the randomized Nexo Power packs from 2016 were at all hung up on whether they’d be popular with AFOLs?
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtter
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,283
    edited January 2019
    Bionicle (and SW) kept LEGO afloat during an era where LEGO's core business suffered.  Now that their core business is booming, it's not a coincidence that Bionicle is absent from the lineup.  

Being the 'big' fish in a $1.5B revenue pool is a no-fish in a $5B revenue pool.  (Although that is speculation - as LEGO doesn't release sale figures for individual sets or themes.)

And I'm not crapping on Bionicle by any means.  It's just a completely different market than from the Bionicle heyday.

And Mr. Gold may have very well jump-started the CMF line - but more likely is that the price-point is aimed at impulse buys for those civilians that want minifigs, as polys are for civilians that want minibuilds of vehicles.  As much as we collectors want to be relevant, we're not the segment of the market that drives the ship.  We're probably closer to irrelevant.

I don't think kids care at all about rare or exclusive anything.  That was my point.  I'm not sure what you're inferring.  (Or we agree on that point?)
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 489
    Baby_Yoda said:
    @klinton You're not wrong. However, Mr. Gold was extremely rare, and I don't think there are any cases recorded of someone getting multiple at all, let alone deliberately and for the purpose of reselling. If you sold a Mr. Gold, it was your only Mr. Gold that you sold, not one of the twenty you conveniently had stored in your basement.
    There was actually a person (not myself, unfortunately) in Florida who was able to find THREE Mr. Golds. He even documented it with proof. He has a YouTube channel named “Brother from Another Brick” if you want to see it for yourself.
    I know a guy on this site that has had multiple Mr. Golds pass through his hands.  I hate to belabor this point, but the vast majority of all LEGO sales are to civilians - so they make their way onto the secondary market.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,916
    I thought lawyers loved belaboring every point :)
    starwars4everoldtodd33davetheoxygenmanBaby_Yodagmonkey76560HeliportSprinkleOtter
    pharmjod said:
    I thought lawyers loved belaboring every point :)
    Objection!

(But you are completely correct.)
    starwars4everdavetheoxygenmangmonkey76SprinkleOtter
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 541
    SumoLego said:

I don't think kids care at all about rare or exclusive anything.  That was my point.  I'm not sure what you're inferring.  (Or we agree on that point?)
    They do and they don't. And what I mean by that, is I know a number of our friends kids, want the hard to find things, that they are into. The kids may only be into it for a short while, but they want the item that is 20:1 not 1:1 that they can show their friends or say they own. Whether it matters to the min a months time when the fad has passed, is irrelevant
    SumoLegodatsunrobbie
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    edited January 2019
    ^ Yeah, I can see where kids can care about rare collectables, just as long as they can be collected by kids - that is, Comic-Con exclusives aren't any more valuable to them than 1:20 items. I mean, I'm sure there are a few of us here who wouldn't have minded a Charizard trading card in our childhoods, for example.
    AanchirSumoLego
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ...I mean, I'm sure there are a few of us here who wouldn't have minded a Charizard trading card in our childhoods, for example.
    I'm sure if any of us asked for a card worth $4k, a responsible parent would King Hippo punch us on the top of our head.

dmcc0
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,616
    ^ I've got to go through my daughters Pokemon cards one of these days. 
    Pitfall69Baby_YodaSprinkleOtter
    SumoLego said:
    Baby_Yoda said:
    ...I mean, I'm sure there are a few of us here who wouldn't have minded a Charizard trading card in our childhoods, for example.
    I'm sure if any of us asked for a card worth $4k, a responsible parent would King Hippo punch us on the top of our head.
    But that’s exactly the point… kids who collected Pokémon Cards when that was still new and attainable were excited about the possibility of finding one in a booster pack, but they certainly weren’t whining about its rarity being unfair or missing out on them. And kids who collect Pokémon cards now couldn’t give a crap that they’ll probably never be able to own this one particular card released 20 years ago. Not when there are plenty of cards that are just as interesting or moreso in terms of stuff kids care way more about than aftermarket value, like their illustrations or gameplay features.

From my experience, the weird sense of entitlement that makes people bitter at companies for releasing any product they can’t simply walk into a store, pick out, and buy at a “normal” retail price is very much an adult thing. When growing up, I bought Pokémon fan magazines that shared pics of rare promotional cards or toys only ever released in Japan. And even knowing I’d never own any of them, my response was generally “wow, neat!” After all, as a kid, I knew full well that I’d never own every card that WAS hypothetically available to me locally… why hold a grudge over the many that weren’t?

Same goes for LEGOLAND-exclusive or sweepstakes-exclusive Bionicle masks. I know I was a weird kid, but even so, my local friends who collected the same sorts of things as me certainly weren’t ranting angrily about or giving up on collecting that stuff because they knew there were special/rare things out there that would never be a part of their collection.

On a side note, part of why rare cards like this are so rare in mint condition nowadays is that many of the kids who did own them played with them the same as they would with any other card. It wasn’t a long-term investment to them, it was a cool thing designed for them to play with, which also happened to impress their friends due to being rare and highly sought after. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were chrome C-3POs or Mr. Golds out there that kids likewise played with like any other minifigure, even to the detriment of their aftermarket value.

ericbstluxMegtheCatpharmjodBaby_YodaSprinkleOtter
  • MaddinBricksMaddinBricks CanandaMember Posts: 21
    shikadi said:
    The policeman made sense to me because of the nostalgia and use in city layouts, but what use does Mr Gold have in MOCs? What is the desire for a solid gold figure other than its rarity? That alone just doesnt do it for me. I didn't want it when it was released and don't want it now

You would stick Mr. Gold in a moc museum... that is what you would do if you wanted to play with him.

But you really want a Mr. Gold do what Jangbricks did and order a knock off that looks like the real deal.

• klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 1,221
    Aanchir said:
    I wouldn’t be surprised if there were chrome C-3POs or Mr. Golds out there that kids likewise played with like any other minifigure, even to the detriment of their aftermarket value.
    God, I hope so. As much as I love collecting my favorite sets and characters, I can never look at my stuff as anything more than toys. They're interesting and amusing, but nothing more. It confuses and annoys me when people put them on pedestals and treat them like fine art collectibles. It's just Lego. Play with it, yo! 

I hope that most of them ended up being loved on by kids. That's why they exist. 

ShibBOBJACK_JACKBOB560HeliportAanchir
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,444
    edited January 2019
    ^That's why you buy one to play with, one to display and one "just in case" ;)

...and yes; I'm annoying.
    Baby_Yodagmonkey76SumoLegoGothamConstructionCo
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,552
    Pitfall69 said:
    So, yeah, children collect AND play with their toys. Whether they understand its value is irrelevant to them.

they are actually the ones who understand their value because they play with them, and many adults are just delusionnal. for some reason toy story 2 comes to mind.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB560HeliportAanchirklintonMegtheCatdmcc0
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,295
    Wow, this thread is making me kind of sad. Maybe I should open all my MISB polybags and play with the figures.
    SumoLegodavetheoxygenman560Heliportdmcc0
    ^For the love of God!!! Don't!!! That's like manchild suicide.
    SumoLegoBaby_Yodadmcc0sid3windr
    Baby_Yoda said:
    Wow, this thread is making me kind of sad. Maybe I should open all my MISB polybags and play with the figures.
    Polybags are AFOL-proof.
    Baby_Yodadmcc0
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,615
    That's why someone invented scissors.
    pharmjod
    Fauch said:
    Pitfall69 said:
    So, yeah, children collect AND play with their toys. Whether they understand its value is irrelevant to them.

they are actually the ones who understand their value because they play with them, and many adults are just delusionnal. for some reason toy story 2 comes to mind.
    Welcome to adulthood, I think. Lego is no different to 80s hot hatches, Transformers, HeMan etc ad other 'retro' things. As adults we have the income now (whether we overspend it on Lego or not quite all of it) to buy things we wanted as a kid, but no longer to play with, but as a display piece. Just like there are people I see at car shows, who have mark 1 or 2 Golf GTis, that are worth a lot more than they were 10 years ago, but aren't driven, and are kept in garages etc. Cars were made to be driven, not stored, but it won't stop people collecting and storing them, same as Lego. To all intent and purposes, we all do things a different way for different reasons. My neighbours hate that I have so many Lego items unopened and/or displayed, that I don't like their kids playing with or touching when they come round. To Monty, my XWing is great to fly around the house with, and it's great for him. To me, he has £160 in his grubby hands, that I dont want him to wear or tear the stickers from by accident. It tears me up a little bit that this happens, but on the flip side, I bought it for me and not him. I also bought it cos I wanted a Lego Xwing. I like Lego, I like SWs :)
    BumblepantsdatsunrobbieMegtheCatdavetheoxygenmangmonkey76
    "My name is Colay; I like Lego. I like Star Wars" Sounds like an AA meeting introduction :)

Don't get me started on kids trying to play with my toys. This isn't a hands-on museum; my house, my toys ;) 
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtterdatsunrobbiedavetheoxygenmanBaby_Yodagmonkey76
    I don't understand why people would feel aggrieved that their kids weren't allowed to play with other people's stuff, toys or not, as ultimately it's not theirs to play with. I seem to be lucky, as the majority of friends that bring kids to mine are happy to explain to the kids that the Lego is not to be touched, without me having to say anything. My daughter, who's six, polices the Lego room (which is also a playroom) well, warding off grubby hands where necessary. She does get to play with the modulars from time to time as she's pretty trustworthy!
    Bumblepantsstlux560HeliportPitfall69MegtheCatdavetheoxygenmanBaby_Yodagmonkey76sid3windr
  • daewoodaewoo DFWMember Posts: 614
    I don't like chase minifigs in the CMF series, but they aren't a deal breaker for me.  There are plenty of rare figs out there.  Just recently we had the 100 year anniversary of the Lego Store in the US minifig.  I just happened to get one of those because they were in the store the same day as our local LUG meeting.  Otherwise I would not have gotten one, and I wouldn't sweat it.
  • milambermilamber Mayenne, FranceMember Posts: 632
    Pitfall69 said:

Don't get me started on kids trying to play with my toys. This isn't a hands-on museum; my house, my toys ;) 
    Same here. One of the disadvantages of getting our grand-daughter interested in Duplo and now Lego is that she thinks my Lego is fair game. Hard to explain that she can play with her toys, but not mine :)
    Pitfall69
    Pitfall69 said:
    "My name is Colay; I like Lego. I like Star Wars" Sounds like an AA meeting introduction :)

LMAO. Im dry in January for booze, maybe I need to be for Lego, lol
    Pitfall69davetheoxygenman
    ^My humor is dry; I had a drink over the weekend.
    SprinkleOtterSumoLego
    edited January 2019
    well, displaying them rather than playing with them isn't really the problem. it's the fact that they may reach absolutely silly prices, despite basically being just mass produced pieces of plastic. and then you won't dare touch them because it may damage the value. maybe those who have an unopened cafe corner wish it was still valued at 150€ ?
    ^Not me; it is an outdated Modular with no interior and from what  I have heard, a sub par build. At this point, the only thing going for it is it's monetary value.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,616
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^Not me; it is an outdated Modular with no interior and from what  I have heard, a sub par build. At this point, the only thing going for it is it's monetary value.

Do you mean to tell me that the very first modular in a very successful series that was released 12 years ago is outdated? How strange. It is still a good looking set and the build is just fine. As far as the interior goes, who cares. You only see the inside .0001% of the time anyway:) 
    edited January 2019
    oldtodd33 said:
    Pitfall69 said:

Do you mean to tell me that the very first modular in a very successful series that was released 12 years ago is outdated? How strange. It is still a good looking set and the build is just fine. As far as the interior goes, who cares. You only see the inside .0001% of the time anyway:)
    I mean, the words "very first" and "12 years ago" both stand out as reasons it might be outdated. After all, it's not as though Jamie Berard and his peers on the Creator team became LESS skilled as designers the more sets they designed.
    Without a doubt, there'd be a lot of things done better if it were designed from scratch today, including on the most basic level using actual window panes on the middle story windows (since the current 2x3 window panes and window frames didn't exist at the time Cafe Corner was designed).
    I don't mean any of that to diminish what a big deal and game-changer the set was. It was outstanding for its time. But there are loads and loads of sets I've loved in the past and that were hugely important milestones, which I'd readily admit are outdated or underwhelming compared to their current counterparts.
    Even in the Ninjago theme, which I've been a huge fan of for the past eight years, the new Legacy and Spinjitzu sets make some of the original ones look downright mediocre by comparison. None of that diminishes what a big deal Ninjago's knockout success in those first couple years was, but if I got any 2011 or 2012 set today (even one I'd missed out on back then) I suspect I'd rather sell/trade/gift it than open it.
    Also, while for some of the modular buildings a lack of a fully furnished interior might not be too big a deal, I think on Cafe Corner its green baseplate and big ground-floor windows do make that somewhat more detrimental to its appearance than it might be otherwise.
    stluxpharmjod
    edited January 2019
    yet the 2012 samurai mech may still be the best ninjago mech

Pitfall69 said:
    makes it even funnier, outdated, no interior, dull build, and worth 10 times a modern modular.
    Pitfall69SumoLegoSprinkleOtter
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    Not a fan of the rare/chase minifigures (less than 2 per box), heck, even though I collect SDCC stuff, I feel that TLG could a separate releases of the SDCC minifigures in sets, even if they made minor variations, such as Jean Grey's Phoenix costume in red, instead of green (SDCC). I'm glad that TLG have moved away from builds for special events that contain parts that are only in that set & releasing the instructions, it gives other fans the chance to collect the parts needed & fun of building them.

I ended getting lucky with Graves, collector fatigue set in around my area & thanks to that, I managed to get a few of them. My hope is I'll find a few people still after him with spare S18 Policeman figs to swap, as for the rest, it is a nice looking suit print, good for Steampunk MOCs.

The problem with rare/chase minifigures is the same with limited release sets, is that these tend to draw in the Lego scalpers (yes the term is appropriate, their actions are to trying to achieve similar outcomes to ticket scalpers, based on the hope that supplies sell out & you're "forced" to buy from them), which means, between family, work & any other commitments we might have, the average AFOL doesn't have much of a chance to get them.

I think TLG would do well to move away from the rare/chase item technique, as it also tends to cause collector fatigue to happen faster. I've noticed with the explosion of limited/rare/chase Funko Pop Vinyls (I'm glad @xiahna settles on just getting one or two variants in those cases), several friends of ours have given up on collecting Pop Vinyls, if the increase in discounted ones at Zing are anything to go by, collector fatigue is really starting to hit & I have wonder if having multiple rare variants of two or three figures in a set isn't a part of it.
    gmonkey76xiahna
    I'm not that bothered by 1 in a box chase figures. They are nto that hard to come by. Maybe they are at first, but you can pick up the Police Officer and Graves for about £10 or so if you really cannot find one.

The annoying ones for me have been the army builders getting only 2 or 3 in a box. While they cannot always pick the strange army builders (bee girl, etc) they've know for sure most soldiers and so are are going to be picked out in large quantities ever since they did the Spartan.
    SumoLego
    ^The way  "army builders" are packed is definitely annoying. Series 9 was a pretty good series for Army Builders. I would have to go through each series to see if there was a better series than Series 9 for that purpose. I think that series like Harry Potter and the like could have been done differently. Why do we need more Harry Potter Minifigures? The CMF Series should be reserved for characters that aren't in the currently available sets.
    SumoLegomadforLEGO
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 2,615
    Only 2 of 22 Harry Potter CMFs were Harry. Is that so many? I wouldn't want a CMF to have none of a main character- what about someone who only collects CMFs? They wouldn't get a Harry Potter!
    Only 2 of 22 Harry Potter CMFs were Harry. Is that so many? I wouldn't want a CMF to have none of a main character- what about someone who only collects CMFs? They wouldn't get a Harry Potter!
    No, there are two different Harry Potter Minifigures in the Series and with that; there's a total of 5. I'm not saying no Harry Potter, Ron or Hermoine should be in the series, just not 3 of Hermoine and Ron and 5 Harry Potter 
    SumoLego
    I guess the CMF are seen as different to rather than an add-on to sets. It is the same with TLBM, TLNM, TLM, TLM2, Simpsons etc. Main characters appear in the CMF series.

But then it is nice to get variants of main characters that wouldn't appear in sets too. For The Simpsons, I would buy in to a series of 16 variants of Homer.
    edited January 2019
    ^Fair point, but wouldn't it be better to maybe have just (2) of Harry, Ron and Hermione and a lot the (6) slots you'd free up for other characters and/or add to Percival so there's more than 1? The variants of Batman in TLBM is understandable because that's kinda the joke; that Batman has so many outfits/costumes. I just think that most people would rather have less Harry and more obscure characters. They could have easily put the Bricktober Minifigures in Series 1, by decreasing the number of Harry, Ron and Hermione. 

Now, all of this is moot if there are plans for a Series 2; then you can have all the Harry Potter and other character variants. 
    gmonkey76
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,318
    ^ So what your saying is, if TLG ever do a Marvel CMF series it will be 12 different Iron Man armours & 8 other characters.
    gmonkey76SumoLegoBumblepantsbandit778SprinkleOtterBaby_YodaMynatt
    ^Ha!!! Excatly!!! I know a lot of people that would love that. 
    VorpalRyugmonkey76SumoLegoBaby_Yoda
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,441
    I think what could have been better for the Harry Potter series would have been to have a really obscure version of Harry* as a chase figure and one version as a common - meaning kids that just want Harry have an easy choice, collectors have a rare figure to chase and HP fans get an obscure variant unlikely to be in any sets. That way the other figs (like Graves) could have more equal distribution. 

That said I think that a second series is quite likely (even if it takes a couple of years to appear) so all potentially moot. 

*Something like a Christmas jumper Harry. 
    Pitfall69