Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO CMF SERIES 20: How to bring back Mr Gold!

AymarBuildsLegoAymarBuildsLego United StatesMember Posts: 6
Hello lego collectors, Ive been thinking about this what if LEGO brought back Mr gold? It would make sense if they brought him back at series 20, Since it would be the 20th Series. (excluding harry potter batman movie etc). To celebrate 8 years of The CMF series, Lego would bring back mr gold. There are three reasons why this should happen.

1) By the Re-Release of a very rare minifgure, This is a way LEGO can stop the scalping of this minifigure
2)The sale of the minifigures will be Higher than any other series
3) Gives a chance for people like me who never got mr gold in series 10.

what do you guys think? Do you think LEGO would do this? Is this a Bad Idea? let me know!! MAY THE FORCE OF THE BRICKS BE WITH YOU

Comments

• AymarBuildsLegoAymarBuildsLego United StatesMember Posts: 6
    1) There are no scalpers in this instance (actually in most instances of LEGO). There are people who happen to have one (likely found one) who decided they wanted to sell the one they found, and they get paid what someone is will to pay them for it. That is not scalping in any way shape or form. People who use the term scalper in this regard do not understand the definition of scalper.
    2) I doubt sales of the series would be much more, if at all, over what other lines have gone for. And if they would be LEGO may win the battle but lose the war (see below)
    3) What kind of 'chance' are you talking about? A addition of him into every box or being a really limited chase figure again?
    LEGO released Mr Gold as a pure chase figure. I think anything less than this would be a giant let down to anyone that was fortunate to have found one. I get that with all the hype around Taj Mahal and Vestas Wind turbine being done everyone is now assuming LEGO will redo everything, but that simply will not be the case. LEGO has not redone CMF figures at this point, any figure, and I doubt Mr Gold would be the first to be redone if that were the case (likely would be other hard to find figures in the CMF series over the years, like Zombie, Spartan, Piggy suit guy, Bunny suit, Bee girl, etc).

If Mr Gold was redone, then he would probably just be another limited chase figure about as hard to find as the first Mr Gold (or be a different figure), meaning you would more than likely miss out on him again.

Mr Gold was a bad idea all around IMO. It upset people that were completionists and wanted every CMF but could not afford to find one, and it also caused stores to buy too many of the series boxes, only to be stuck with them and causing stores to stop carrying CMF figures after that.

And, by the way, I do not have one either. While a bit miffed by it, I rationalize that at least he was a chase figure and not really part of Series 10 (that is, not on the checklist of figures for the set, unlike the Classic cop and Graves were in their sets). I missed out on it, so did lots of people, that was the point of the whole limited release.
    Well I Like the idea of having a RARE minifigure to look for. It makes the series appealing, and makes me more interested in the series. if you disagree thats fine.
    FowlerBricks
  • FinaldeathFinaldeath UKMember Posts: 9
    I really dislike the 1 per box "rare" figures as it is, I was very lucky to have a Lego store provide a policeman after a fruitless few months of searching! Why does anything need to be so rare...almost like gambling addiction (or worse...trading cards!) if you're asking for yet more of them. I'm with madforLEGO, a bad idea and doubtful it'd happen anyway (a re-release of all the "costume" figures would be cooler!)
    SumoLegodatsunrobbiegmonkey76snowhitieshikadikbw
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,166
    edited December 2018
    No.

(If LEGO wants to do ultra-rare minifigures, then they ought to keep it to giveaways connected with the Black VIP card, or some other nonsense that the 'regular' collector can actively ignore.  I do have a 'complete' set of CMFs, but it annoys me that a figure that shows up on the box isn't remotely available to the greater market in reasonable quantities.)
    SprinkleOtterdatsunrobbiegmonkey76Mr_Crosssnowhitie560Heliport
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 827
    No thank you.  As has already been mentioned, I don't really like the idea of difficult-to-obtain minifigs (1 per box) as it is, I don't know who can really benefit from such things.  

I think that Mr Gold was a bit of an error of judgement - something that sounded like a great idea but ultimately upset far more people than it pleased.  And there is a very vocal group of AFOLs that Lego does pay attention to!
    gmonkey76Mr_Crosssnowhitie
    I hate say this, but the Mr. Gold promotion really seemed to reinvigorate the CMF line.

(Not to say that S6, S7, S8, S9 were lackluster, but there appears to be less demand for those sets and figures, other than costumed characters.)
    Pitfall69
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,344
    How about a Mrs. Gold?
    Pitfall69
    oldtodd33 said:
    How about a Mrs. Gold?
    That's sexist, pateralistic, misogynistic and somethingistic.
    MrJacksonBumblepantsgmonkey76Mr_CrossGothamConstructionCoPitfall69MaddinBricks
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 525
    Make a white-gold Mr Gold and make it available only to NA - then I can moan about it from a distance.

Joking apart, any figure that is less than 2 per box is just frustrating - I find it annoying as it is when other AFOLs in my area buy whole boxes of CMFs just to have one set and then sell on the rest - previously I've sometimes been left with nothing to buy. I also think when retailers cottoned on to how valuable Mr Gold was, they would have searched their own boxes to check - so I just assumed no boxes would have any in at all.
    gmonkey76Brickchap
    pharmjod said:
    Just for the sheer chaos of it :)
    I am passively-aggresively 'Like'ing your comment.
    SprinkleOtterOnebricktoomanyGothamConstructionCoPitfall69MaddinBricks
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 252
    1) There are no scalpers in this instance (actually in most instances of LEGO). There are people who happen to have one (likely found one) who decided they wanted to sell the one they found, and they get paid what someone is will to pay them for it. That is not scalping in any way shape or form. People who use the term scalper in this regard do not understand the definition of scalper.

When it comes to chase minifigs, it is absolutely scalping. You need only one for your own collection, yet people are constantly posting about the extras they have (one recent post in here even proudly declaring that they only took four out of five possible chase figs in a fresh store display, like it was an act of charity to other shoppers), hoping to sell at a profit or trade up for more valuable sets. 

It's not the end of the world, this behavior, but it is the very definition of scalping. 

When it comes to Lego and their bizarre distribution, I think that chase figures are the very least of their crimes. I would sooner see a "one per case" release with every CMF wave than feel the dread that sets in when convention season hits, hoping that the con exclusives aren't characters I need. I'm not a fan of Mr. Gold levels of distribution, but the current 1:60 ratio is at least palatable. You have a reasonable chance at getting the figs you want in the wild, or a guaranteed acquisition if you grab a case. 
    MaddinBricks
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,128
    I had the intention of collecting all CMF, but the German Futbol Team made me decide against that. Made me refocus and narrow my scope and sold my Great Britain Olympics and Simpsons. I still enjoy the regular series and Lego Movie related series, but won’t lose sleep over not having 1:1000 rare figures (unless they are super heroes)....
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 981
    @klinton You're not wrong. However, Mr. Gold was extremely rare, and I don't think there are any cases recorded of someone getting multiple at all, let alone deliberately and for the purpose of reselling. If you sold a Mr. Gold, it was your only Mr. Gold that you sold, not one of the twenty you conveniently had stored in your basement.
    klintongmonkey76madforLEGOsid3windr
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,752
    Mr Gold is analogous with Willy Wonka's 5 golden tickets. You have to be a hard core completionist with deep pockets or have been very lucky to stumble upon one to make it yours. The vast majority wanting one will do without rather than handing over £500 for a single minifigs that is only costly because TLG decided to make so few of them.

I would never pay £500 for a single minifigs, so happy to shrug my shoulders and move on.

I don't think TLG should re-release it.
    gmonkey76
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,282
    That Mr. Gold was absolute utter poppycock!
    gmonkey76
    Scalping isn't really the right word.  That only applies to charging above face-value of tickets.

Somebody 'overpricing' a hard-to-get item is just a plain old 'seller'.  LEGO doesn't put a value on 'chase' or giveaway items.  The market sets the value.  (Nobody complains when an item goes below 'market' value, or a seller decides to off-load product at a loss.) 
    gmonkey76stluxmadforLEGOMr_Crossvwong19Baby_YodaPitfall69
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,123
    edited December 2018
    How about a figure made from a red torso, a black tophat, a classic smiley head and orange legs. 1 per 50 boxes. With the print "Rare Chase Figure" on the torso.

I could live with them doing that.

Or maybe 30 in every box are Mr Gold.
    SumoLego
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,389
    They could use leftover Black Card VIP minifigures as chase figures. 
    SumoLegodavetheoxygenmanVorpalRyu
    There may be a shortage of solid black minifigure heads.... start hoarding now!
    SumoLego said:
    Scalping isn't really the right word.  That only applies to charging above face-value of tickets.

Somebody 'overpricing' a hard-to-get item is just a plain old 'seller'.  LEGO doesn't put a value on 'chase' or giveaway items.  The market sets the value.  (Nobody complains when an item goes below 'market' value, or a seller decides to off-load product at a loss.) 
    Buying up sets in the hopes of parting out their contents or selling after retirement at a profit is simple reselling. Buying up all available stock of limited releases at the hopes of flipping them for profit is scalping. 

The difference is in that the sets are readily available for a considerable window, should you choose to purchase them. If you want elements of a set, but not the entire set, they've got your back. If you want a set that was issued prior to your own collecting, they're there for you. If you want a set not released in your area, or not released to the public, they've got it for you. They're essential to collecting. 

Scalpers deliberately hobble the distribution by buying up all available supplies in hopes of personal gain. If you arrive at any given retailer after a scalper has been, you cannot obtain the merchandise in question, save for paying the scalper whatever they see fit to charge. The term is most commonly associated with buying up blocks of desirable tickets, but is frequently applied to everything from seasonal "hot" toys to market shares. 

There's a distinct difference between a reseller and a scalper. One is feeding the hobby while the other is a parasite. 
    datsunrobbietmgm528MegtheCatmak0137PolyphemusSilentMode
    edited December 2018
    How many people scalped Mr Gold though? Very few were able to scalp him compared to say the recent Police Officer. Many of the Mr Golds sold were not scalped, but just sold by a lucky person that opened a valuable figure and sold it. Scalping implies deliberately buying them for resale, which was near impossible for Mr Gold.
    SumoLegoDadgmonkey76Baby_Yoda
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,132
    klinton said:
    SumoLego said:

Buying up sets in the hopes of parting out their contents or selling after retirement at a profit is simple reselling. Buying up all available stock of limited releases at the hopes of flipping them for profit is scalping. 

The difference is in that the sets are readily available for a considerable window, should you choose to purchase them. If you want elements of a set, but not the entire set, they've got your back. If you want a set that was issued prior to your own collecting, they're there for you. If you want a set not released in your area, or not released to the public, they've got it for you. They're essential to collecting. 

Scalpers deliberately hobble the distribution by buying up all available supplies in hopes of personal gain. If you arrive at any given retailer after a scalper has been, you cannot obtain the merchandise in question, save for paying the scalper whatever they see fit to charge. The term is most commonly associated with buying up blocks of desirable tickets, but is frequently applied to everything from seasonal "hot" toys to market shares. 

There's a distinct difference between a reseller and a scalper. One is feeding the hobby while the other is a parasite. 
    I can have a Mr Gold and ask 100K for it. Probably not getting it. It all depends on what the buyer (marketplace) wants to pay, not the seller. It is a fundamental principle of a marketplace.
    In this instance (i.e. this thread, complaining about Mr Gold's availability) scalper is completely the wrong word to use. The majority of those selling Mr Golds were likely one lucky enough to find one in a box. We are talking about 5K in the volume of HOW many boxes? If they had multiples they likely paid their hard earned money to buy them early on the secondary market with hopes the demand for said figures go up.
    As @SumoLego put it, no one seems to complain when a reseller would appear to lose  money, heck some even cheer it on most times, which seems a bit over the top to me to wish ill will on someone that you do not know.
    I also scoff at the 'holier than thou' attitude of some in the forum. Like the majority of members would not find, buy and flip a Mr Gold if they already had one (heck many would likely buy and flip a Mr Gold if they only had one. Its a toy and if someone wants to pay me a small fortune for it I will not stop them). While I'm sure there are altruistic people out there, it just seems like many of those that miss out on such opportunities are the ones that appear to gripe about others doing it.
    Finally, and ultimately, if people do not like what is going on with chase figures, then I'm not sure what people hope to accomplish complaining in a forum. Go to LEGO (via CS) as they control the stocks, and they control what is a chase figure and what is not, they are the ones that think it is a good idea when people are cherry picking the chase figures to resell.
    SumoLegostluxMegtheCatpharmjod
    (Frankly, I'd rather possess my Mr. Gold even if he went from being worth whatever he goes for now down to $2.99.  But that's the 'internal' value I place on the figure.)

I'd probably have a different opinion if I paid some exorbitant amount of money in the secondary market.
    klinton
    I think 'chase' figures are gimmicky and a bad indicator.  It smacks of Pokemon cards and desperation.

They ought to focus on selling product to kids with a few AFOL/collector things along the way.
    madforLEGOgmonkey76MynattMegtheCatMr_CrossFinaldeath
    CCC said:
    How many people scalped Mr Gold though? Very few were able to scalp him compared to say the recent Police Officer. Many of the Mr Golds sold were not scalped, but just sold by a lucky person that opened a valuable figure and sold it. Scalping implies deliberately buying them for resale, which was near impossible for Mr Gold.
    Oh, for sure. Scalping really just doesn't apply to Mr. Gold. He's more like a unicorn than a chase figure, hahaha. 

My initial comment in here (and subsequent replies) was aimed rather squarely at the "in most instances of Lego" comment. The term 'scalper' absolutely applies to 99.99999% of people flipping most chase minifigs.

Finally, and ultimately, if people do not like what is going on with chase figures, then I'm not sure what people hope to accomplish complaining in a forum. Go to LEGO (via CS) as they control the stocks, and they control what is a chase figure and what is not, they are the ones that think it is a good idea when people are cherry picking the chase figures to resell.
    I don't really think hassling CS reps is at all an appropriate response. They're there to assist you with orders and/or product defects. Ranting at those poor people about your existential distribution concerns is just petty. I would honestly hope that thier pat response would be to suggest adding a case to your order. 

I don't personally have an issue with the current 1:60 chase ratio. It feels reasonable enough. I have access to several TRU and Lego Store locations though, so the volume of potential product is exponentially larger than someone in a small town wth a single outlet. Even the Mr. Gold situation doesn't bother me. It'd be cool if you had one, but your collection isn't really missing some fundamental element if you don't have him (ei: if, say, Emmett was extremely limited across TLM line). It's just 'extra'. 
    Baby_Yoda
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 291
    klinton said:
    SumoLego said:

1. Buying up sets in the hopes of parting out their contents or selling after retirement at a profit is simple reselling. Buying up all available stock of limited releases at the hopes of flipping them for profit is scalping.

2. Scalpers deliberately hobble the distribution by buying up all available supplies in hopes of personal gain. If you arrive at any given retailer after a scalper has been, you cannot obtain the merchandise in question, save for paying the scalper whatever they see fit to charge. The term is most commonly associated with buying up blocks of desirable tickets, but is frequently applied to everything from seasonal "hot" toys to market shares. 

1. That isn't scalping. Not humanly possible. It cannot be scalping with Lego. Even ComicCon/other event stuff is limited to one each, and if one person has enough money to buy all of those sets from all individuals, that may well be used in that scenario, but find me anyone who is willing to part with theirs, let alone multiples
    Also, there is your downside 'hope of flipping for a profit'. I know many a small retailer who has to take chances on discount bulk deals. Sometimes they make 600% on some items. Other times the lose lots of money on things that may not sell, or come out from Amazon and undercut them by £10 if not £100s

2.There is NO WAY, anyone, anywhere, ever, obtain and control boxes of CMFs. See point 1 above, it isn't possible to scalp with Lego. Are you saying every black card minifigure on eBay is a scalper?

Do I have a Mr Gold? No. Did I know about Mr Gold when it was out? No. Do I want one? Yes, but for £3. Do I think, it's a good idea for a re-run? No, not after reading some of the things above, especially, as I have bought a box of CMF to make sure I got a copper. But now I have 40 other figures I dont need. So, it probably would have been cheaper to buy an actual policeman. I am not a scalper for buying a box of CMFs. I had the cash at the time, so I did it.

Real scalpers (almost certanly 99% of the time selling sports/music tickets) are parasites. ViaGoGO, Ticketmaster, all of them, scum of the earth as well as the individuals they let them go to in bulk. When it comes to toys, it's not scalping, unless a manufacturer/retailer, let 60% of the stock go to one person.

Whilst we are arguing over semantics and the use of the word, sclaper, I don't disagree with your sentiment, but your use of the word and terminology. :)

pharmjod
    klinton said:

I don't really think hassling CS reps is at all an appropriate response. They're there to assist you with orders and/or product defects. Ranting at those poor people about your existential distribution concerns is just petty. I would honestly hope that thier pat response would be to suggest adding a case to your order...
    So.. your argument then is that 'ranting' about it in a forum is any better.. Really?! CS is far more likely to be able to do something about it than a bunch of people in a forum who do not work for LEGO. If you nice and are eloquent in a communication with LEGO CS (last I checked they are customer service and that falls into a CS role) they will pass it to those other departments that do pay attention to those comments. 
    gmonkey76teal93mr2
    colay said:

Whilst we are arguing over semantics and the use of the word, sclaper, I don't disagree with your sentiment, but your use of the word and terminology. :)

I don't understand the kickback over the term "scalper" when applied to persons who actively buy up local stocks of collectibles in order to resell at a profit? The term is widely used in collector communities to describe this behavior. I'm quite certain that it is not localized vernacular, as I'm unaware of a french equivalent. It's a term I've only encountered in online communities. 

If it's literally just semantics, but the intent is clear, then we can call them 'snigglewarts' to avoid any confusion with people attempting to discuss thier intentions to attend a concert. ;p
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,691
    I honestly can't relate to any of the frustration about Mr. Gold's rarity, because to me it seems no different than any other sort of contest or sweepstakes prize like the various Bionicle mask/disk pieces made from precious metals, the precious metal C-3PO and R2-D2 figures, or the chrome gold C-3PO. They're obviously intended as special limited edition prize items, and despite not owning any of them I can't relate to the feeling that they should not exist unless it's possible for me to own one.
    If LEGO does any future sweepstakes-type minifigures like that, it doesn't really make sense for it to be a re-release of one they've done before instead of something that will be new and exciting in its own right.
    SumoLego said:
    I think 'chase' figures are gimmicky and a bad indicator.  It smacks of Pokemon cards and desperation.

They ought to focus on selling product to kids with a few AFOL/collector things along the way.
    I mean, treating "collectors" as a separate category from "kids" seems off to me. As somebody who DID collect Pokémon cards, play Pokémon video games, etc, I can assure you kids can enjoy collecting things just as much as adults do, even though they typically don't get as bitter or obsessive about it. Kids usually collect for fun rather than as a financial investment, and as such it's usually not such a big deal to them if their collection is unlikely to ever be 100% complete.
    The Bionicle theme was a big passion of mine around the same time that the Pokémon craze was on the upswing, and especially in the early years (2001–2005), Bionicle sets had a MAJOR focus on collectible masks, disks, etc, including the aforementioned sweepstakes prize items. For a few years, Bionicle even had its own collectible card game! It's not as though that emphasis on collectibles was somehow meant to rope in an audience of adult collectors — it was just a way of leveraging the kind of passion for collecting that was already well established among kids of that generation.
    SumoLegostluxdatsunrobbie
    Yeah, um.  And LEGO did not do well during those years.  That was kinda my point.

Your 'pedestrian' kids that want to play with Pokemon or LEGO aren't the market for 'rare' cards or minifigures worth fifty dollars or thousands of dollars. 

When that market draws the attention of the producer - then that market with wide appeal is destined to be doomed.  (Or turn back into a niche market.)
    So.. your argument then is that 'ranting' about it in a forum is any better.. Really?! CS is far more likely to be able to do something about it than a bunch of people in a forum who do not work for LEGO. If you nice and are eloquent in a communication with LEGO CS (last I checked they are customer service and that falls into a CS role) they will pass it to those other departments that do pay attention to those comments. 
    Who's ranting? We're just having a discussion. Making observations and offering commentary doesn't imply any problem needing any sort of action. I, for one, have repeatedly stated that I have no issues with the existence of chase figures. I think some consumer behavior is absurd, but that it's an inevitable evil. /shrug
    klinton said:
    Who's ranting? We're just having a discussion. Making observations and offering commentary doesn't imply any problem needing any sort of action. I, for one, have repeatedly stated that I have no issues with the existence of chase figures. I think some consumer behavior is absurd, but that it's an inevitable evil. /shrug
    ..I was referring to how you put it about going to LEGO CS.. and I quote...

I don't really think hassling CS reps is at all an appropriate response. They're there to assist you with orders and/or product defects. Ranting at those poor people about your existential distribution concerns is just petty. I would honestly hope that thier pat response would be to suggest adding a case to your order.....
    So as you assume it is a 'rant' to CS, then it would it not be similar, therefore 'ranting' (notice the quotes in my original post above), to the Forum crowd? Or should I have I had said 'hassling' those in the forum?
    Nudging.  Or some light cajoling.
    madforLEGOgmonkey76Polyphemus
    I wish a mod would change the ! in the title to a ?
    SumoLego
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,282
    ^
    Pretty sure someone is willing to enter into debating that too, and at arduous great length for that matter as well. Exclamation or question-mark!? ?!
    SumoLegoBumblepants
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,128
    Exact re-release of minifigures or sets hurt collectors more than they help. Some resellers may suffer from the increased supply of new product, but ultimately more buyers or collectors would lose value in their collection. Many of us who have been collecting trust or expect that Lego do not reissue sets or certain figures.

I don’t own a Mr Gold, but I wouldn’t want this figure reissued exactly for my own benefit. If I really want the figure then I would buy it on the secondary market with the expectation that it retains its value or increases.
    SumoLegoklintondatsunrobbie
  • tmgm528tmgm528 Member Posts: 451
    As a collector of many things throughout my life (Pokemon Cards, Blu Ray’s, Lego, Etc.) I think things like Mr. Gold are ultimately detrimental to most any collectors field. Things where not everyone has the same odds of getting one are just a bummer, those with money to shell out buying up stock, or after market purchasers with the cash to spare are really the only people who will typically end up with one. 

I think one/two per box/per two box is typically a better, fairer outcome - but even that I dont think really works with CMF’s in the same way it does with, say, trading cards because of how easy it is to determine what’s what. You can’t feel around a pack of Magic cards to determine whats in it, whereas CMF’s you can. Until they change how they’re packaged (Kinder Egg shape perhaps?), I think they should drop any kind of limited production CMF’s. 

My 2¢
    vwong19gmonkey76Baby_YodaSumoLego1265
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 981
    Lego Kinder Surprise. Genius.
    datsunrobbie
    Exclamation or question-mark!? ?!
    I'm calling Elaine Benes and Mr. Lippman.
    TheBigLegoski
    tmgm528 said:
    ...I think one/two per box/per two box is typically a better, fairer outcome - but even that I dont think really works with CMF’s in the same way it does with, say, trading cards because of how easy it is to determine what’s what...
    Even one figure per box still results in tens of thousands of available figures.  Maybe it creates a bit of a bump, but not anything where you realistically can't get the figure.  I'm sure if we could get actual production numbers, we'd discover that the Yularen polybag figure or some other random figure would actually be more rare than the chase CMF.
    madforLEGOgmonkey76tmgm528klintonBaby_YodaBumblepants
    SumoLego said:
    Even one figure per box still results in tens of thousands of available figures.  Maybe it creates a bit of a bump, but not anything where you realistically can't get the figure.  I'm sure if we could get actual production numbers, we'd discover that the Yularen polybag figure or some other random figure would actually be more rare than the chase CMF.
    For sure - I dont think one per box is really any kind of issue. If I wanted a policeman it hypothetically shouldnt be a challenge to find one, but ultimately thats kind of the problem. The fact that any collector could (hypothetically) grab up the one in every box by feeling around feels like a design flaw. Not to say I dont use that to my advantage (I dug around to find Mad Eye Moody a few days back) but I think the ability to find any ‘rare’ ones is inherently not a positive trait.
    SumoLego1265
    tmgm528 said:
    For sure - I dont think one per box is really any kind of issue. If I wanted a policeman it hypothetically shouldnt be a challenge to find one, but ultimately thats kind of the problem. The fact that any collector could (hypothetically) grab up the one in every box by feeling around feels like a design flaw. Not to say I dont use that to my advantage (I dug around to find Mad Eye Moody a few days back) but I think the ability to find any ‘rare’ ones is inherently not a positive trait.
    Unless you're completely inept, like myself. I had zero issues finding a Graves in the recent WW series, but the 'common' Jacob caused me nothing but grief, leading to several trips to the store and multiples of Newt and a Doby elf. Hahaha.

If they insist on blind packaging, then I do prefer the bags. I don't like the whole concept to begin with, and generally avoid 'blind' packaging. I don't generally aim for 'completion', so being able to select the character(s) I actually want without having to offload the contents of a case is a huge selling point, imho. If they switched to truly blind packaging, I'd be hard pressed to buy into it at all. 
    SumoLegogmonkey76datsunrobbiepharmjodflordcanon03
    (Mark off @klinton for a set of UniKitty bags...)
    klintonBaby_YodadatsunrobbieSprinkleOtter
    @klinton I see where you’re coming from, and I dont disagree! But to the point specifically of rare figures (particularly one per box or less) I think the ability to feel them out is inherently beneficial to resellers (or scalpers depending on what they’re doing).
    klinton
    SumoLego said:
    (Mark off @klinton for a set of UniKitty bags...)
    I kinda/sorta want the new Queasy Kitty, but not enough to open that can of worms. :p
  • iliketoastiliketoast AustraliaMember Posts: 249
    If there was to be a new Mr Gold type fig, I’d prefer some sort of lottery: ie each CMF insert has a unique code to enter on LEGO website, enter before X date, random draw for the winners....
    snowhitieMCNwakeboard
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 749
    If LEGO ever does it again, I'd like it to be a platinum cmf instead of gold. 
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 644
    Great..Another figure to piss me off that I can't have...
  • shikadishikadi TRU AlumniMember Posts: 53
    edited January 17
    The policeman made sense to me because of the nostalgia and use in city layouts, but what use does Mr Gold have in MOCs? What is the desire for a solid gold figure other than its rarity? That alone just doesnt do it for me. I didn't want it when it was released and don't want it now.
    Covi