The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

MOC - Harry Potter Advent Calendar

dvw2dvw2 MassachusettsMember Posts: 16
I'd made mention of this in the Brickset Builders Guild section, but figured it might be worth starting a new discussion since I'll be adding to it.

This year I have created a LEGO Harry Potter advent calendar for my wife, who is at the tail end of a master's degree and hasn't been able to do one of the retail calendars alongside our daughter (7) over the past few years. She was thrilled with the surprise reveal on Saturday and is enjoying it so far! In the spirit of official LEGO advent calendars, it's a mix of builds in various scales with a selection of minifigs scattered through the days.

On the production side, I've repurposed and fully rewrapped last year's Star Wars calendar. (Graphics on the box borrowed from a freely-available Wizarding World coloring book PDF.) The builds throughout are mostly original, with inspiration drawn from official LEGO sets and other MOCs around the web. I'll note relevant items as we go.

Here's the box. The production of the door panels was a little rough as I forgot the LEGO calendars have a staggered layout. Perhaps next year I'll build the whole thing from scratch, but for the first go-round this will suffice.

Hope you enjoy this, and maybe with some luck we'll see an official version of this next year! I'd absolutely be in line for that.

SprinkleOtterbrickventuresmilamberandheBOBJACK_JACKBOBPJ76ukbandit778kiki180703tamamahmiliketoastBumblepantsbrickedinLostInTranslationCOOLEGOtexaspete

Comments

• dvw2dvw2 MassachusettsMember Posts: 16
    Behind door #1 on Saturday was:

This is a fully original microscale version of the Dursley's home in Little Whinging. It's based mostly on the version of the house we see in Chamber of Secrets onwards, complete with the sunroom at the rear from which the inflated Aunt Marge ascends toward the heavens.
    brickventuresmilamberBOBJACK_JACKBOBFowlerBricksPJ76ukbandit778kiki180703mithridatetexaspete
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 290
    This is fantastic! The thought you have put into this is amazing. The minifig packets are such a sweet detail. My wife and I will be checking this thread daily, if possible. Well done! looking forward to the rest of the reveals!
    dvw2
  • CymbelineCymbeline CanadaMember Posts: 12
    just awesome - can't wait for tomorrow!
    dvw2
  • dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,247
    This is really nice. Looking forward to seeing more.
    dvw2
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,053
    What a brilliant idea. The Express is just amazing, the rollerskate wheels are a little small, but they work perfectly with the comedy smoke stack!
    dvw2
    Door 5: Tina Goldstein, to complete our family collection of the Fantastic Beasts protagonists!

Love the hot dog. It's an essential NYC accessory. "Get your red hots!"
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBCymbelineFowlerBricksbrickventuresSwitchfoot55sid3windrkiki180703
    Door 7: Madam Hooch! Interestingly, we still don't have any kids represented in this calendar. But now we have a teacher, with Hogwarts’ iconic Quidditch instructor. This is the version of Rolanda Hooch included from 2010's Quidditch Match, as opposed to this year's only theoretically available Bricktober pack.

FowlerBricksMegtheCatbandit778kiki180703
    edited December 8
    To start the second week of this calendar, we have behind Door 8 a rendition of the Wizard Chess challenge from The Philosopher's/Sorceror's Stone. The game board color palette is drawn from the micro vignette in 71043 Hogwarts Castle. I created four representative opponent playing pieces on pedestals and used the neat little dark red microfigs to stand in for our first-year Gryffindor heroes as they approach the board. Today's was a hit here at home!

37 pieces.
    Switchfoot55FowlerBricksMegtheCatstluxmithridatebandit778brickedinkiki180703
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,398
  • truck730truck730 Member Posts: 137
    It could have been an Ideas set of an advent calendar like the castle versions from before 
    dvw2
    @truck730
    Yeah, I'm wondering if I ought to submit it in some fashion. LEGO really should do an HP calendar - they'll do exceedingly well with it. HP is definitely holiday-friendly!
    FowlerBricks
  • twoeyesgirltwoeyesgirl Member Posts: 7
    Amazing calendar! And I love how you adapted your daughter's drawing. Really cool gift.
    dvw2FowlerBrickskiki180703
    truck730 said:
    It could have been an Ideas set of an advent calendar like the castle versions from before 
    I had no idea they did a Castle calendar (at least two?). Just looked it up - cool!
    FowlerBricks
  • mithridatemithridate HawaiiMember Posts: 51
    dvw2 said:
    @truck730
    Yeah, I'm wondering if I ought to submit it in some fashion. LEGO really should do an HP calendar - they'll do exceedingly well with it. HP is definitely holiday-friendly!
    Fantastic beast of an Advent calendar!

Btw, TLG won’t pick Ideas projects based on IP they already have in their portfolio.
    dvw2
    mithridate said:

Fantastic beast of an Advent calendar!

Btw, TLG won’t pick Ideas projects based on IP they already have in their portfolio.
    Thank you! Yes, that's correct, which is why I can't just dump it into Ideas. Most of these are too part-intensive for a retail calendar either, except for the Hogwarts locomotive, and maybe 4 Privet Drive. That said, the giant Hogwarts Castle set is full of microscale scenery, so I bet they could easily mine that for some daily builds.
    Door 9: Two days ago we had Madam Hooch in door 7, which was a bit of foreshadowing—today we have the Hogwarts Quidditch Pitch! A slightly more involved piece for a Sunday morning. What will the next few days bring? Perhaps the pitch is not yet complete...

CymbelineFowlerBricksJ0rgenkiki180703
  • J0rgenJ0rgen NorwayMember Posts: 87
    The 2010 version of Madam Hooch is way better than the Bricktober one, so I wouldn't worry about missing out on that particular fig. Really like the calendar and look forwards to seeing the rest :)
    dvw2