Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

10254 Winter Holiday Train question

2»

Comments

• benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 295
    I thought so... I do have a Boost hub, anybody integrated one of those with the train?! It's massive, though...
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 279
    edited December 2018

I've also had to be pretty close, usually within ten feet or so, or the train would not respond to the controller, even with new batteries in both.  This can create issues on large layouts.

I have Boost and the hub is too big to be practical in trains, at least in my opinion.

• sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,319
    The IR doesn't work without line of sight, but it's worth noting to be clear that the train will keep going even if your remote can't see it (but you obviously won't be able to change speed or stop it until LoS is restored). So it might not be a really big deal :-)
    Switchfoot55rd1899kiki180703Bumblepants
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 295
    ^ Ah, I didn't know that! That's good... Thank you :)
    sid3windr
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 368
    IR bounces though, just play around with your tv remote. Sometimes it will work pointing backwards if the walls are white or something.
    sid3windr
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,132
    Legend has it you can mod IR to pass through any material and over any distance by incorporating a white rangefinder into the build...
    gmonkey76sid3windrSwitchfoot55benbacardiBumblepants
  • Kev80eKev80e Rutland U.KMember Posts: 44
    Having built my Train set I've noticed that I get quite a bit of wheel slip . Is this common ? If so is there a way to stop , I've thought about small elastic bands around the drive wheels. 
  • milambermilamber Norfolk UKMember Posts: 391
    edited December 2018
    Kev80e said:
    Having built my Train set I've noticed that I get quite a bit of wheel slip . Is this common ? If so is there a way to stop , I've thought about small elastic bands around the drive wheels. 
    Very common. It's largely due to the lack of weight in the engine to push down on the wheels. That's why many of us have put all of the electronics and the motorised wheels in the tender instead. Works much better that way. You can see examples in this thread or on a google search.
  • Kev80eKev80e Rutland U.KMember Posts: 44
    Thanks milamber . I plan on doing this for next year so hopefully it will help. Thought it might be leaves on the line from the Christmas tree :)
    HugeYellowBrick