Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Extra blank lines showing up in posts

AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,944
Some users are having extra blank lines added to their posts. If they include one blank line, what comes out is three. See this thread for examples and a brief off-topic discussion of the problem:
https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/29526/custom-part-seller-question-chromed-infinity-gauntlet#latest
gmonkey76snowhitiemadforLEGOLegopantsrd1899

Comments

• snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,728
    Good to make a new thread for this. It has been going on for a while. When I see it happening I usually go back and edit the comment but it doesn't seem to happen every time. It also happens in PM's, and there you can't go back and edit.

@Huw I've taken some screenshots of the HTML code and what it looks like, maybe this can be of help?

So this is how my comment shows up the first time: as you see, that gives extra lines.

This is what I typed, just a paragraph sapced:

This is the HTML: it seems to add extra br in there, you could take that out every time but that's a lot of work.

Don't know if it's helpful at all, but if this could be sorted, that would be great!
    AstrobricksLegopantsrd1899
    As you can see, the forum made extra spaces in my comment again. I'll leave it like that for now so you can see the issue in the source maybe.
    AstrobricksLegopants
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,295
    edited November 2018
    I've no idea why it's doing this, but as you point out above, if you look at the posts in question in markup view there's loads of superfluous DIVs in them.

I'll report it to Vanilla Support if it remains a problem at the end of the week. 

This one of mine is fine...
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 903
    I always thought those extra spaces were just big images that can't load. Nice to know it's not a problem entirely on my end, for once.
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,940
    Yep, I've been experiencing the same problem for a few weeks.
    Still happening to me. Even in PM, just writing the message below. For anoyne getting these messages from me with extra spaces, I'm not trying to be dramatic. I also remembered when it started, it was when the big cycling trip was happening. I remember thinking, I'm not going to mention it now since Huw is probably pretty busy :)).

Hiya X,

Santa has posted your parcel! Let me know when it gets there please.

Cathy

^so funnily enough, it's not put any lines in between there, althoug it does in my PM's. And it did put an extra space between my paragraph and the other one.
    edited January 11
    So, this is still happening to me, and sometimes to others. It's actually stopping me from posting so much since I don't want to annoy people with loads of white spaces for nothing or I got to edit it all out.

I'll just write an extra paragraph to make it clear :)

edit: o then it didn't do that, but after I used a smiley it did give 2 lines. I've noticed it's after use of smileys, or shoutouts that it always seems to happen!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,352
    edited January 11
    It happened to me the other day, and in a specific way, so I was able to have a guess at one reason it happens.

I'd written my post in Notepad beforehand, and copied it into the text box before posting. When I posted it, it had added gaps.

From what I can see, typing normally in the text box just puts two line breaks in the code, giving the normal gap. If you paste text in from Notepad it uses divs instead of line breaks. If you paste from Word it uses paragraph breaks.

I'm testing it below. The gap between the two lines that are the same is what the gap is from that editor.

Testing normal gaps

Testing normal gaps

Gap pasted from Notepad

Gap pasted from Notepad

Gap pasted from Word

Gap pasted from Word

I suspect that typing on some devices has a similar effect to those things above.
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 1,808
    edited January 11
    It's doing it without the text originating anywhere other than in the "Leave a Comment box".
    Happened on a post I made yesterday. I went back and edited it out.

Testing to see how many lines it introduces....

EDIT:  None on this occasion. Intermittent and or triggered by special text or characters?
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,087
    edited January 11
    Yes, I hit enter once and it adds a line. Hit enter again and I get two
    (once)

(twice)
    @madforLEGO which browser/device are you using?
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,302
    I still have this issue regularly, and I don't copy/paste from Notepad.

Just typing this in on a regular Firefox on Windows, even. Nothing mobile, nothing Linux...
    ^ There we go, extrahuge spacing.
    I have it using Mozilla on  Windows 10.

It's also on Mozilla on my mobile.
    madforLEGO
    ^ yup it is, and didn't use smileys or anything.
    Mozilla on Win10 PC 
    Mozilla on Win10 PC
    sid3windr said:
    Just typing this in on a regular Firefox on Windows, even. Nothing mobile, nothing Linux...
    snowhitie said:
    I have it using Mozilla on  Windows 10.

It's also on Mozilla on my mobile.
    Mozilla on Win10 PC 
    I see a trend here...

What does it do for you in other browsers?
    snowhitie
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 903
    For the record, I have not experienced this.
    I am on Windows 10 using Google Chrome.
    edited January 15
    I am now trying it out on Windows 10 with Google Chrome. 

Not sure what is going to happen. 

I will do a smiley ;) here and maybe a shoutout to @sid3windr

Now let's post 'save comment!'
    Now this is in Microsoft Edge. 

Let's see what happens here. 

I will do a smiley ;) here and maybe a shoutout to @sid3windr again.

Now let's 'post comment!'
    edited January 15
    And then again in Mozilla Firefox, on the same computer at the same time to be able to compare.

I'm guessing @Paperballpark might be right.  When I do it a shoutout in Mozilla I also stutter like @[email protected], it didn't happen with the other browsers and then the double blank lines...

Now let's 'post comment!'
    edited January 15
    ^ so yes,  @Huw could you address this with vanilla forums? That Mozilla seems to play up on their platform? I guess that explains why only a certain number of users have it, plus only sometimes depneding on what they type it (seems like ..., shoutout or smiley, or hasthag setnumber triggers it for me to go on my old posts (most of them I do edit after the fact to get rid of the extra spaces).

I guess I could try and use a different browser for the forum, but I'm really rather pleased with Firefox so would rather not if at all possible.
    sid3windrLegopants
    edited January 15
    Sorry for all the messages after each other, but as you can see I'm a woman on a mission ;)

@Speedman29 I just noticed on the Lego Forma thread that your messages seem to have extra blank spaces in it, do you also use Firefox? Or are we on the wrong track here? 

-- using Edge ATM
    pxchris
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,124
    snowhitie said:
    do you also use Firefox? Or are we on the wrong track here?
    That was written on my Galaxy S6 on the Firefox app
    snowhitie
    I use a browser called Vivaldi. I started using it when Firefox stripped out a lot of the customisation options.
    Okay, that one uses the Blink (Webkit) (Chrome) rendering engine... :|
    Yeah Vivaldi uses Chromium.
    Behaviour seems to have changed, instead of doubling the width, my spacing has disappeared from my previous post. Testing 1 2 3.
    ^ Yep, there was a double line break between post. and Testing, which used to be converted to a triple one, now is converted to a space.