Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Retiring Soon

LegolisLegolis Leeds, UKMember Posts: 209
Can I ask how "soon" they retire after they are flagged this way on [email protected]? I had asked the husband to get me Brick Bank for Christmas and wondering if I should be telling him to get a move on and order it?

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,472
    Tell him to get move on and order it. Modulars are better to be safe than sorry with. The other end of the spectrum is when Chima Speedorz are retiring soon but it take 12 months because no one wants them.
    gmonkey76SumoLegokiki180703FizyxLego_StarSprinkleOtter
  • LegolisLegolis Leeds, UKMember Posts: 209
    Thanks for the reply, I'll tell him to get on with it. 

Am I right in thinking it's double VIP weekend?
    That sounds right. Should have the free present box thing for VIPs too
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    Legolis said:
    Can I ask how "soon" they retire after they are flagged this way on [email protected]?
    When they run out of stock. And this varies from set to set, country to country.

I'd wait for the upcoming promos. Being close to a LEGO store means you also have a second go at getting it, if they do sell out online (which is unlikely for at least a week or two, probably more).

• MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 303
    I keep seeing rumors about double points this weekend. Is this only a UK/EU thing, or will we have it on this side of the pond?
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 238
    Some people talked about having received an e-mail from LEGO with that information - they were usually from UK or USA. I didn't receive any e-mail regarding double VIP points this weekend... So I'm having the same doubt.
  • pxchrispxchris Oregon, USAMember Posts: 357
    I got an email about the double VIP points this weekend, and I'm in the US.
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 251
    I received the double points email as well.
    Is there any chance of still finding Diagon Alley in stores? 
  • flat_fourflat_four Member Posts: 14
    Legolis said:
    Is there any chance of still finding Diagon Alley in stores? 
    Not sure if it helps you, but Leicester Square store still had loads behind the tills on Monday
    It would be a bit of a trek as I'm up in Leeds. :D But thank you, if some places still have them it's worth a try.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,349
    Does anybody want some CHIMA Speedorz?
    The other end of the spectrum is when Chima Speedorz are retiring soon but it take 12 months because no one wants them.
    Aw, crap!
    BumblepantsFizyx
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 683
    ^How badly do you want to get rid of them? I have all of them, but if they're cheap enough, I'm interested...
    SumoLego
    (Just kidding, I traded a bunch and donated a boatload to 'Toys for Tots'.)
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 683
    Awww... :(
    SumoLego
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 722
    Awww...as in those poor toys for tots kids that end up with the speedors?
    SumoLegoAstrobricksOldfanBaby_Yodamak0137kiki180703
    Awww...as in those poor toys for tots kids that end up with the speedors?
    (Yes, to both.)
    Fizyx
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,408
    SumoLego said:
    (Just kidding, I traded a bunch and donated a boatload to 'Toys for Tots'.)
    Thanks again for the Speedorz. My grandson has a lot of fun with them, and they've been getting played with at least once a week since you sent them. Baseboards in the hallway will never be the same. 
    SumoLegoterfstengmonkey76bandit778Baby_Yodakiki180703Fizyx560Heliport
    Didn't want to risk it and already ordered my BB, with double VIP points. And since I had 105€ in VIP points to use, it was a real bargain!
    pharmjodgmonkey76kiki180703
    Got an email saying “get your exclusive Christmas gift with spends over £85” but notice it’s not adding to the basket. Is it live yet? Also is it online only or in store too? I’m going to go check out what they have in Leeds in a few hours.
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,089
    @Legolis I got the GWP added okay, when I ordered at about 01:30 this morning.
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 670
    I got the GWP, but had to proceed to checkout for it to actually show up.
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 362
    edited November 2018
    I have decided I want to pick up the Ferris Wheel. Can‘t decide if it’s better to pick up at Target now or wait on the chance that it’s going to available online for Black Friday - Bird in hand and all that. 
    (You could always grab one now, and if there's a better Black Friday deal, return it later.)
    kbw
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,356
    ^^ Ferris Wheel is out of stock at Lego but Target has it for 189.99. 
    kbw
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,172
    oldtodd33 said:
    There also is some question as to if LEGO is holding some sets back for BF, but I'm guessing that is store only. In any case if you see it, and it is on any kind of sale, get it.
    SumoLego said:
    (You could always grab one now, and if there's a better Black Friday deal, return it later.)
    That’s just crazy enough to work. Tbh I feel kinda silly for not considering that. Thanks 
    oldtodd33 said:
    There also is some question as to if LEGO is holding some sets back for BF, but I'm guessing that is store only. In any case if you see it, and it is on any kind of sale, get it.
       They may or may not be holding back stock but since the major retailers are out of stock on BB I ordered another from Lego which has them back ordered but shipping by the 27th just to be safe. 
    madforLEGO
    oldtodd33 said:
    Yes. I called all 3 stores in my state. 2 were out of stock and one said it was holding stock for Black Friday and wouldn’t sell it to me. One of the other stores flat out told me Lego S @ H  holds back sets for promos. Just feel like I’m rolling the dice a bit since it’s out of stock. Not only that, I don’t know how excited I am to play the Black Friday game, particularly on the website since I won’t be around a store that weekend. 
    In regards to holding back stock for Black Friday, I’m a little skeptical that more will be available only because they could be selling the sets now with $10 (technically only $5 since it’s a penny under $200) off a future purchase rather than at 20% off at time of purchase. I don’t know why you’d do that but that’s just me
    oldtodd33 said:
    oldtodd33 said:
       They may or may not be holding back stock but since the major retailers are out of stock on BB I ordered another from Lego which has them back ordered but shipping by the 27th just to be safe. 
    Be wary of LEGO and their back order shipping dates. I ordered a few things from them, never heard back until they finally informed me, after having to contact them, that the order was not fulfilled and the item since went out of production. Which annoyed me because the local store had them, but I did not buy as I figured Id get them from LEGO eventually.

Since then I never trust LEGO and their back order system.
    sid3windrFizyxoldtodd33
    ^^never mind it’s double points, but my argument still stands. 
  • maniacmaniac Yorkshire, UKMember Posts: 777
    *snip*
    Be wary of LEGO and their back order shipping dates. I ordered a few things from them, never heard back until they finally informed me, after having to contact them, that the order was not fulfilled and the item since went out of production. Which annoyed me because the local store had them, but I did not buy as I figured Id get them from LEGO eventually.

*Cough* Town Hall *Cough*

Decided I didn't want it after that. Next day, I knew I was lying to myself and picked one up unboxed no figs.
    SumoLegogmonkey76kiki180703Fizyx
    edited November 2018
    kbw said:
    In regards to holding back stock for Black Friday, I’m a little skeptical that more will be available only because they could be selling the sets now with $10 (technically only $5 since it’s a penny under $200) off a future purchase rather than at 20% off at time of purchase. I don’t know why you’d do that but that’s just me
    They are much better off holding back the stock they advertised as being black Friday specials. No company wants to piss off their customers by advertising a sale and then not having anything in stock. They may not last long into the day or on the website but the stores will at least start out with some supply.
    kbwgmonkey76Astrobrickskiki180703Fizyx
    Sears got in trouble a few years back for not having stock of Black Friday items.
    edited November 2018
    oldtodd33 said:
    oldtodd33 said:

I have covered all bases now and went to the Lego store in the mall. They had BB on the shelf so I grabbed it. If Lego cancels my order I'll be ok. 
    madforLEGO
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,285
    I noticed in the email I received that they had the Old Fishing Store listed as retiring soon. So glad I found one at my local Lego store. 
    Walmart still has it as well
    Thanks for all the replies. I managed to get (the last!) Brick Bank in Leeds. Was a bit worried when I didn't see it on the shelf but my husband found it pushed to the back. Got two freebies with it (sadly no Diagon Alley left). I haven't had a proper look yet but I think they said one was a Lego Shop and the other was the gift box. I confess I haven't been keeping up with the freebies. 

I'm a bit gutted I don't think we're going to have the chance to grab the Old Fishing Store before it goes but we're short in the lead up to Christmas.
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 722
    kbw said:
    As others have mentioned, the money lego can make with the additional 20% on those sets pales in comparison to the long term benefits (or damage).  This is especially important for a company like Lego who is known for their positive public image.  Besides, stores are required to have a certain number of items that they advertise or it is considered bait and switch.  Lego definitely doesn't want that kind of negative public image.
    AstrobricksSumoLegopharmjodkbwkiki180703
    BB and DO now showing as in back order at [email protected]
    madforLEGO
    kbw said:
    As others have mentioned, the money lego can make with the additional 20% on those sets pales in comparison to the long term benefits (or damage).  This is especially important for a company like Lego who is known for their positive public image.  Besides, stores are required to have a certain number of items that they advertise or it is considered bait and switch.  Lego definitely doesn't want that kind of negative public image.
    I'm not so sure LEGO cares about their image much at this point (though they should), otherwise some of their parts would not crack so easily still. (Then again, maybe someone just has to get a major news outlet to comment about it).

I think the key though are LEGO's 'footnotes' in their promos sales, which is typically reports 'as long as stocks are available'. It is the same reason why you see sets mammoth-ly discounted on their site, but they have not had them in stock for 2 months online.
    sid3windr
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,206
    footnotes actually say, "as long as we want" or "we actually made no promises to you"
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 211
    what are the chances the detectives office will be back in stock online?

SumoLego
    madejp86 said:

Brainsluggedgmonkey76kiki180703Fizyxsid3windrBeavdmcc0BrickByBrickbandit778
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 99
    it is in stock on the Aus site.
  • BeavBeav Member Posts: 303
    SumoLego said:
    madejp86 said:

:(

There goes my plan to get one on friday
    SumoLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    Ask about stock on saturday instead ...

BeavBumblepantspharmjodkiki180703
    oldtodd33 said:
    oldtodd33 said:

The BB I ordered from Lego.com did actually ship with both freebies. Apparently still on backorder. I don't know if it's really going oop or not but at least I have them.