Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Reddish brown and cracking

ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts.Member Posts: 155
edited October 27 in Building and Techniques
I was happily working on a nearly done MOC, today, excited that I'm waiting on  two more parts orders before I consider it done, and ready to share. Anyway, long story short, I was pulling off a Reddish Brown 2x2, and the edge cracked off in my hand. Now, the rest of said MOC has quite a bit of RB in it,(it's a famous Disney building), should I be worried that other parts will crack, soon? I did contact LEGO to make them aware.

Comments

• ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts.Member Posts: 155
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 324
    PeteM said:
    Yep, pay respects to all the dead Lego sets out there now. "In the arms of the angels-" *CRUNCH* "oops, those broke off too..."
    ModeltrainmanPeteMkiki180703
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,010
    edited October 28
    I was happily working on a nearly done MOC, today, excited that I'm waiting on  two more parts orders before I consider it done, and ready to share. Anyway, long story short, I was pulling off a Reddish Brown 2x2, and the edge cracked off in my hand. Now, the rest of said MOC has quite a bit of RB in it,(it's a famous Disney building), should I be worried that other parts will crack, soon? I did contact LEGO to make them aware.

There is a discussion on the LEGO Ambassador Forum right now where the parts quality department is asking for feedback. So many pictures of broken and cracked pieces! It's heartbreaking, and scary too.

Fans invest vast amounts of money in LEGO sets, only to have the pieces crumble in their hands. Gone are the days when you could be confident that with reasonable care and storage, you can pass down your LEGO to your children and grandchildren. 

I would not recommend putting away sealed LEGO sets (either for later use or as a collector item). Better open the box and inspect the pieces. Reddish-brown and blue are especially prone to crumbling. Tan and light-gray 1xX are prone to cracks, and we all know about cheese-slopes and clips. And there are also the color inconsistencies especially in sand colors (sand-blue, sand-green, etc.) and dark colors (dark-red, dark-green, dark-blue, etc.) If you need replacement parts ask for them now, because if you open the box years later, there is a chance the piece (or color) will no longer be in production. Of course, the issue with replacement parts is that they could have the same problems, but the hope is that you will get them from a different production batch. 

I read on the BrickLink forum some time back that there is a great demand for older parts produced before all these quality issues began.

If you are part of a LUG, report quality issues and submit pictures to your Ambassador. They can forward them to the appropriate person via the Ambassador Forum. They are gathering feedback right now.

ModeltrainmanFizyx
  • ModeltrainmanModeltrainman In the Disney Infinity Toybox, Windows, or digging through LEGO parts.Member Posts: 155
    I looked in the Ambassador section, @akunthita. I'm not seeing any such thread.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,285
    He means the LEGO Ambassador Forum, where all the Ambassadors chat amongst themselves (and with LEGO), rather than the Ambassador part of the Brickset forum.
    edited October 29
    I looked in the Ambassador section, @akunthita. I'm not seeing any such thread.

As @Paperballpark mentioned, the LAN Forum is a closed network for Ambassadors from different LEGU User Groups and LEGO employees. If you are part of a LUG, bring up the topic at one of your meetings, and have your Ambassador report issues via the LAN Forum. If you are part of an online LUG, they have Ambassadors as well, who can report issues on your behalf. Brickset's Ambassador is @drdavewatford.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,717
    akunthita said: 
    As @Paperballpark mentioned, the LAN Forum is a closed network for Ambassadors from different LEGU User Groups and LEGO employees. If you are part of a LUG, bring up the topic at one of your meetings, and have your Ambassador report issues via the LAN Forum. If you are part of an online LUG, they have Ambassadors as well, who can report issues on your behalf. Brickset's Ambassador is @drdavewatford.
    And if you’re having issues with your peas or soybeans, please consult your local LEGUME User Group ;-)
    Baby_Yoda
    I'm from the USA, and not part  of a LUG. Who should I contact?
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,717
    I guess: 
    akunthita said:
    ... Brickset's Ambassador is @drdavewatford.
    But is @drdavewatford really up for that? 
    Otherwise, just contact CS directly.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,213
    @Modeltrainman, I had several brown parts crack on my Winter Village Train Station last year after taking it apart. I contacted customer service and they had parts out to me right away. It's obviously frustrating, but they seem willing to correct the issue as quickly as possible. 

If you are not part of any local LUG, you can contact LEGO's customer service, and they will take notes on the issues reported and also send you replacement parts. If you want to share pictures, and you don't want to bother Dave, you can also send them to me and I can upload them to the Ambassador Forum on your behalf (I'm an Ambassador myself).

Issues with reddish-brown are well known and a several other Ambassadors already uploaded pictures from their communities. But I would say that the more gruesome pictures we send in the better. :D

Switchfoot55Modeltrainmangmonkey76Baby_Yoda
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,260
    In the #75530 I just built there was one broken part, #6194094, snapped cleanly in two where the axle goes through. I have over 100 of these in other colors, and the brown one (exclusive to #75530) is the only one that has broken.