Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Lego Architecture Sets Good Investments?

tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
edited January 2012 in Buying & Selling Topics
Does anyone think sets in the Architecture line are worthwhile investments? I started wondering this as I noticed that 21005 Fallingwater is well over 2 years old, so it's probably headed out the door before long.

Fallingwater is noted relatively few times in Brickset collection lists (roughly 700 each of Own and Want), compared to 10193 MMV (3400+ Own, 1700+ Want) - although both are at $100 RRP, and both have been out awhile. So that makes me think there's not much interest in Fallingwater.

On the other hand, if the Architecture line continues for a few years, I can see potential interest in the early sets (similar to what happened with the modular buildings). In that case, having some extras of 21005 could be somewhat lucrative.

I think 21010 Robie House is overpriced for its overall size (despite 2,000+ pieces), so it's less likely to be worth the investment. Fallingwater could be, though. I recently built it, and was quite impressed. Minimal play value, of course, but it's a clever build, and looks quite nice when it's done.

Comments

• cbaker1974cbaker1974 Member Posts: 150
    I think they are interesting, but lack the WOW factor of other sets...they have good piece counts, but those pieces are small and the builds are repetitive. I think they will be decent investments in the long term, but you may have to wait several years and find a niche buyer since as you mentioned they have a smaller demand profile.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,082
    tdhbr... I think you may have answered your own question to a certain degree... the number of the 10193 owners as being 5 times the number of 21005 Fallingwater owners.

So the Architectural sets are a smaller genre.... for now. But their availability appears more limited.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    They are not in as many stores, so they won't sell as many copies...

Which might be a good thing, or might be reflective of their limited market.

They are all overpriced in my opinion, but if you can get them on sale (the Robbie House was obtainable for ~50% off on Black Friday), they can be a bargain.

We are collecting them to build, but only one of each set, not planning to invest in them just yet. :)
  • StuBoyStuBoy New ZealandMember Posts: 623
    There may end up being an international market for these sets - I haven't seen any in New Zealand, and not sure about other countries. Time will tell.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    I have helped an Architecture fan over here to collect all the sets except the Robie House as been waiting to get it at a lower price. But, I find them overpriced. And I guess Lego will keep producing it repeatedly over the years. Its mainly for educational purpose I guess.
  • LambringoLambringo Member Posts: 104
    I think that certain sets will do well in the future. They are a bit pricey but the quality of the set as a whole is pretty great. Special fold open box, thick booklet style instructions, printed name plate and the easy to identify structure should help them. As @stuboy said they are impossible to find south of the equator and I ordered a few from amazon when they were on special, will be holding into them for a while if not for anything more than a mix up in my display from regular minifig scale sets
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    I have a load of these for eventual resale but only because of BN's 50% + 10% off sale. At RRP I wouldn't bother.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    I think they have long, long term value. It'll take 5 years plus to get to 2x or 3x I think. Partly because retail is too high. Like anything, as soon as something becomes "hard to get" and there's more demand than supply, value and price will shoot up.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    edited January 2012
    And speaking of the Architecture series, my wife had a great idea.

7 Wonders of the World in Lego (as miniatures, part of the Architecture Series). It would be a great departure from the current series, and freshen it up a bit in my opinion.

And maybe a Niagara Falls set.
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,082
    ^ I think that 3 of the 7 wonders would be difficult to create on a small scale... the Colossus of Rhodes, the statue of Zeus at Olympia, and possibly the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

But the other 4 shouldn't be a problem... Great Pyramid, Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, Pharos of Alexandria, and Temple at Ephesus.
  • Cam_n_StuCam_n_Stu UKMember Posts: 368
    I am reading about the Black Friday discounts and turning green with envy. I have never seen a discount on Architecture sets in the UK and while Fallingwater and Robbie House are near the top of my wants list I just can't justify the prices LEGO want for them, especially the RH.

As for investment I think there are much better bets in the LEGO range for quicker and probably much larger returns.
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    Lego Architecture is purely meant for educational and for the purpose of building all the models, putting them under a big glass display and donate it to some park or zoo where people could visit and see the wonders of Lego bricks. Just a thought.

@pcirone, I am getting jealous of the deals you mentioned, if only I had joined this Forum earlier.
  • momof2boys99momof2boys99 Member Posts: 322
    edited January 2012
    I love these sets. My kids collect them. We get lots of compliments on this series. It might be one that ends up being a sleeper. I have a few in my inventory that I purchased on sale, but I am not going crazy. I do think there are some that will do well once retired.
  • legoleppylegoleppy MarylandMember Posts: 63
    I have a bunch of these including both FLW homes. I love them, my girlfriend even likes doing them. Has there been any talk of new sets coming out? I much rather see larger set like the houses than the taller skyscrapers.