Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Storing Lego, density question

DerekthetreeDerekthetree United KingdomMember Posts: 2
So I'm moving, likely to be international.

I'm thinking that packing my large technical collection would be best done through dissassembly and bagging it up. I've started with my 8880, which packed down quite well but is fairly low density as built.

Next up is the more modern Porsche and Bugatti. I think as these are very dense models they will be almost as large disassembled, but perhaps less likely to be damaged.

Any advice or experiences welcome :)
SumoLego

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,069
    It is always better to store sets unassembled.  It also takes pressure off of potential stresspoints in the build.  (And despite it being a dense set, it will take up much less space.)
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76SprinkleOtterHanzokiki180703madforLEGOBaby_Yoda
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 756
    edited September 2018
    And you get the added bonus of building them again when you unpack
    Baby_YodaMaffyDSwitchfoot55
  • DerekthetreeDerekthetree United KingdomMember Posts: 2
    SumoLego said:
    It is always better to store sets unassembled.  It also takes pressure off of potential stresspoints in the build.  (And despite it being a dense set, it will take up much less space.)
    Thanks mate. I've now disassembled the Porsche, and it's less than half the size. Only about 8 more big sets to go!
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,069
    If you want to really, really economize, you can align all of the same-sized pieces or combine like pieces into columns of bricks.  You'd be surprised how much can fit into a small box.
    Switchfoot55SprinkleOtter
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,945
    LEGO-tetris. But don't do it with plates, they take ages to pull apart.
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtter
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,614
    ^I'll second the plates comment. I got overzealous on a recent PAB cup and 4x6 plates and decided to not offset them one stud. It's been hours of nail bending torture getting them apart without damaging the plates. 

Also, to add to Sumo's comment, you can Definitely capitalize on space when aligning like pieces and parts. I just reorganized a large number of old slotted train tracks. I had them assembled in stacks. I broke them down by the rails and plates and saved about 80% of the space. 
    SprinkleOtter
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 892
    I've tried stacking a bunch of 2x4 plates, and even with two brick separators, they're hard to get apart! It's better to stagger them by a stud and "waste" some space.
  • mikedotcamikedotca Winnipeg, CAMember Posts: 14
    When I Brexited from the UK to Canada I broke apart all my sets and ziplock bagged models (often as logical sections such as the modular floors). Since I was pay for the size of the shipment and not weight, I packed boxes tight with bagged models. (Actually, the well-sealed Lego boxes were packed inside larger boxes padded with clothes/books/things... I have a childhood trauma from Lego lost in a move due to poor packing).
    While all my modulars are assembled, several sets have not been after all this time.