LEGO FORMA

Comments

• brianoblivionbrianoblivion NYCMember Posts: 71
    SumoLego said:
    ("Why is there another building on the shelf? Where did that come from? When did you build it?! We have no room!")
    Huh.  I wonder if there is a secret network of wives/spouses that compare notes.  
    ...her reaction to the kit was "it actually looks quite nice"...
    It's a trap!
    My wife would be the chairperson of that network. If it did, in fact, exist...
    gmonkey76
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    edited October 2018
    Looks like the new part is rolling off the line now.  Is this supposed to pump up the hype for the set?  Lol.  I guess I shouldnt be too picky about my campaign updates.

pharmjod
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,228
    @CCC Nothing so complex. I just meant it'd be strange if all the sets used skins and then suddenly the shark was brick-built. I imagine if FORMA sets are produced in the future then they too will make use of skins that can be changed around with ease rather than brick-built surfaces, unless each wave has their own unique style.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 725
    edited October 2018
    Baby_Yoda said:
    @CCC Nothing so complex. I just meant it'd be strange if all the sets used skins and then suddenly the shark was brick-built. I imagine if FORMA sets are produced in the future then they too will make use of skins that can be changed around with ease rather than brick-built surfaces, unless each wave has their own unique style.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the plan was to have two or three alternate skins to go with each individual "base model". So for instance, the next Forma model might be a bird of some sort, with a couple choices of types of bird available. Or a dragon with multiple color schemes and scale patterns to choose from.

Making your own 100% brick-built "skins" is a neat MOC idea, but I'm pretty sure Lego went with something different for a reason. This seems to be aimed at a much different audience than your typical Lego set, and the skins seem to be a part of that, "magically" transforming a simple mechanical armature into an organic creature. Having to build each individual skin out of Lego would certainly expand the customization options for people who are experienced with building, but for less experienced builders it might just seem too complicated to bother with.
    stluxBaby_Yoda
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,797
    Lyichir said:
    Baby_Yoda said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if the plan was to have two or three alternate skins to go with each individual "base model". So for instance, the next Forma model might be a bird of some sort, with a couple choices of types of bird available. Or a dragon with multiple color schemes and scale patterns to choose from.

Making your own 100% brick-built "skins" is a neat MOC idea, but I'm pretty sure Lego went with something different for a reason. This seems to be aimed at a much different audience than your typical Lego set, and the skins seem to be a part of that, "magically" transforming a simple mechanical armature into an organic creature. Having to build each individual skin out of Lego would certainly expand the customization options for people who are experienced with building, but for less experienced builders it might just seem too complicated to bother with.
    They did exactly this with bricks with the piggy bank set. Although they are not really customized, they are just following slightly different instructions to build one of three different models. Similar thing here, instead of clipping on a koi skin, you clip on a shark skin. I guess we will have to wait and see how easy it is to remove all those pins and reattach different flexible skins to find out how complicated / time consuming it is to change the identity.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,803
    The way I see it, a big part of LEGO Forma's strategic purpose is to expand Technic-style building to an audience with less edgy and masculine tastes than themes like Technic/Mindstorms/Bionicle have typically catered to. Making it a primarily System-based theme with Technic only used for structural/functional purposes (like how many System products already are) would kind of defeat that purpose. A lot of the marketing also emphasizes the build being a fairly relaxed, easygoing experience (much like Bionicle/CCBS-style building was for me in my earlier years of college) that might be accessible to adults who aren't extremely experienced LEGO builders… throwing all kinds of SNOT techniques would complicate that a great deal.

The emphasis on soft, elegant, organic shapes and patterns also greatly benefits from the use of "skins" rather than brick-built features, which would not only be blockier in many respects (JK Brickworks managed to streamline the shark's body quite nicely, but just look at how hard and angular its fins are) but for models less monochrome than the shark would probably require lots of printed elements and/or stickers. By contrast, this design requires just two printed sheets of five "skin" pieces each, which allow not only lifelike and relatively seamless patterns compared to brick-built, printed, or stickered patterns on a more pieced-together body, but demands much less intense focus to apply than a large sheet of numbered, near-identical stickers or an equally large number of similar-shaped printed elements with patterns specific to particular areas of the body.

Even with a set as sticker-heavy as Ninjago City you're not usually called on to discern which of a half dozen similarly-textured patterns with the same colors and shape a particular building step is calling for. At that point it's no longer a relaxing building set — it's effectively become a much more mentally demanding 3D puzzle, but without even the benefit of knowing that only the correctly patterned piece will be the only one with the correct shape to physically attach to that part of the model.

Baby_Yoda said:
    If it really takes off I definitely expect the "skin" concept to stick around, but I would also expect to see new "skeletons" introduced, maybe for other types of creatures like dragons, birds, insects, etc.

Anyway, as far as actual news goes, yesterday the updates page of the Indiegogo campaign shared this video of the first test batch of the new pin elements fresh from the molds:

A week or so earlier, LEGO sent out a survey to backers… again, showing how their choice of a preorder/crowdfunding model rather than a more straightforward release is as much about attaining market insights that could help them fine-tune the concept and marketing strategy prior to launch as it is about publicity.
    stluxRogerKirkBaby_Yodakiki180703catwrangler
    Oops, just noticed that I was a page behind when making my comment and most stuff had already been brought up. My bad.
    Aanchir said:
    If it really takes off I definitely expect the "skin" concept to stick around, but I would also expect to see new "skeletons" introduced, maybe for other types of creatures like dragons, birds, insects, etc.

I was just thinking about the Ideas birds set, and while I can see skins being useful for some creatures, I hope they don't go down the route of all creatures are done with skins. I had wondered if they would do something similar with dragon heads, if they were all going to be molded parts but the recent Ninjago sets have shown that they are willing to do both brick-built and molded heads concurrently (in different lines).

It would be interesting if the introduced a 'skeleton' in human form. Essentially a (technic) doll with clothes. We are not so far off that already with the buildable figures.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,876
    They need to do a large scale brick built minifigure again that opens or is open to show a skeleton and organs, like the custom work of Jason Freeny. That would be pretty cool.
    SumoLegoBumblepantsBaby_Yodakiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,919
    A LEGO vitruvian man would be a must-buy.
    pharmjodBaby_Yodakiki180703catwrangler
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,416
    To me it seems like Lego is going for people that don't mind buying from Lego but they don't want it to look like Lego. Kind of like Lego art, that's the reason for the skins. There will be no brick built items at all. If they wanted that they would have made them brick built in the first place. 
    CCC said:
    Aanchir said:

I was just thinking about the Ideas birds set, and while I can see skins being useful for some creatures, I hope they don't go down the route of all creatures are done with skins. I had wondered if they would do something similar with dragon heads, if they were all going to be molded parts but the recent Ninjago sets have shown that they are willing to do both brick-built and molded heads concurrently (in different lines).
    I doubt we'd see this concept extend much to themes that are more based around traditional building to begin with. Even if some of the parts/materials (like punch-out sheets similar to the skins or the pins used to fasten them) were to start showing up in other themes (like how cloth or plastic film elements have already been used for wings on LEGO dragons across several different themes), I doubt it would become as foundational to the design and building experience as it is here. When I talk about my expectation of seeing other creature types like this if the fish series is successful, I am specifically talking about future Forma sets, not future animals in other themes.

As far as Ninjago goes, molded dragon heads were nearly universal in its first three years, but ever since the revival in 2014 brick-built heads have been the norm, with the only exception (the Mech Dragon from the movie) using specialized elements only for the muzzle and lower jaw, with the remainder of the head and body using pre-existing parts.

Furthermore, pre-molded animal parts are quite a different situation than the way Forma is genuinely changing up the building process for LEGO animals in a way we're not used to seeing, since molded animal parts aren't any kind of new trend, but rather the norm for most LEGO play themes since the first LEGO horses were introduced in 1984. Even this year, there are around 30 sets with molded animals minifigure size or bigger (not counting Duplo). If anything, it's been more brick-built animals that have exploded in number over the past decade. And even then, many of those still make selective use of dedicated creature parts like molded head, tail, and/or wing elements.
    Baby_Yoda
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,195
    @CCC was wondering earlier this week about blank sets so you can colour the skins yourself: TLG has now done exactly that. The latest update on the Indiegogo page is PDF's with blank versions of the koi and shark skins.

AanchirLyichirbandit778FowlerBricksBaby_Yodakiki180703catwrangler
  • elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 403
    Now I can make the elusive jaguar shark!!!
    r_ickegmonkey76tomahawkerSprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,459
    Those downloadable skins might be a big selling point, especially for grandparents like me. I'll build the frame, and my grandson can color the skins. If you don't have a refrigerator in your office for posting artwork, a FORMA set could be a great showcase for kid's art at work.
    Aanchirpharmjodkiki180703
    Yes, it is looking better - at least this fits in with the "customise" idea, even if all you are really doing is colouring in the skin but not changing the skeleton.

A bit like jumping on the adult-colouring book craze (although maybe that is now over).

• bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,942
    I still don't like the idea of LEGO with a non-LEGO skin, but as I already buy and build, I'm not really the intended target so what do I know?

Have just purchased me a Shark Head from set #7773 though, as I do like the idea of having a go at JK Brickworks brick built Shark.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,919
    pharmjod said:
    They need to do a large scale brick built minifigure again that opens or is open to show a skeleton and organs, like the custom work of Jason Freeny. That would be pretty cool.
    This is probably a step too far for LEGO.

(But it would be super cool!)
    pharmjodsnowhitieSeanTheCollectorcatwrangler
    It would, but we all know LEGO skeletons look like this ...

pharmjodsid3windrLyichirBaby_YodaSprinkleOtterFowlerBricksgmonkey76starwars4everkiki180703
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,395
    ^ Indeed! There's a model on Ideas where you can open the minifig up, they keep mentioning it everywhere (Facebook, even a stand at Lego World in Utrecht NL) but I'm radically against it because indeed the inside does not look like the above... :-)
    Baby_Yodadmcc0kiki180703
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 488
    I think this says it all... it’s a flop.

We’ve noticed that many of you have been sharing LEGO Forma with friends and family, so we’d like to offer all of you the chance to be rewarded for stepping up and being such incredible supporters.

We’re very excited to announce the LEGO Forma Referral Program starting today! The top 10 Indiegogo backers who refer the most new backers by November 7th will receive one of the below items as our thanks:

1st place: 1 x LEGO® FORMA Super Set
    2nd place: 1 x LEGO FORMA Super Set
    3rd place: 1 x LEGO FORMA Koi
    4th place: 1 x LEGO FORMA Koi
    5th place: 1 x LEGO FORMA Koi
    6th place: 1 x LEGO FORMA Skin Pack
    7th place: 1 x LEGO FORMA Skin Pack
    8th place: 1 x LEGO FORMA Skin Pack
    9th place: 1 x LEGO FORMA Skin Pack
    10th place: 1 x LEGO FORMA Skin Pack

Bumblepantssid3windrBaby_Yodakiki180703
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,827
    Quick make a 10:03 Youtube! I will help with the title. You just have to ramble long enough to max the ad revenue! LEGO FORMA- FLOP FAIL PUN ABOUT FISH OUT OF WATER
    Yeah, the superboxes have been stuck at about 75-80% taken for days now. And the Koi set, and the Koi set just over and under 10% taken for US and UK respectively. While they have got 10x their minimum required to start it, this was obviously set very low.
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,395
    ^ Sounds like a task for... GNAJBRicKS
    gmonkey76BrickByBrickwardmBaby_YodaSprinkleOtterstarwars4everCM4Skiki180703
    stlux said:
    @CCC was wondering earlier this week about blank sets so you can colour the skins yourself: TLG has now done exactly that. The latest update on the Indiegogo page is PDF's with blank versions of the koi and shark skins.

Yeah, I saw that. I had originally bought a skin pack too. So I've requested a refund for that one as £12 is quite a bit for something they are now essentially giving away free.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 488
    I bet you the super sets do sell out by the 7th November though, people will see with a few days to go that the chances are that this will be a 4000 production run overall, with no full production run. And jump in for the last few remaining.. 
    I also noticed that the models only look good from one side, as where the fin attaches you see the two attachment bars sticking up if you look from the blind side. And LEGO seems to cheat in the video to hide it. Every view is shown from the "good" side. At about 1:38 where the woman is building the Koi, she attaches the fin on one side, yet when she puts it down facing the other direction to the man's fish, the fin has flipped sides, again showing the good side. Then in the next shot when it is facing the other way, it has changed sides again.  
    BrickByBrickMynatt
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,147
    I still want my mega pack, but I am a bit disappointed they're just giving the skins away for free. While paper probably won't look as nice or high quality as the foil, they're still effectively giving the skins away for free. 
  • ScatterbugScatterbug WalesMember Posts: 109
    They've cut everything by 22%. What do early purchases get charged - the original or reduced price?
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,147
    They've cut everything by 22%. What do early purchases get charged - the original or reduced price?
    I believe they've actually been that reduced price since the campaign launched. 

I know my purchase was made within the first couple of weeks and was at the $85 price point.
    datsunrobbie
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,459
    I purchased the US Super Box on day one, and I remember being amused that it was $85 discounted from $109 on the first day.
  • ScatterbugScatterbug WalesMember Posts: 109
    Thanks. I also bought at launch so must have forgotten what the price was at the time.
    They haven't cut the price. The 22% off for the complete packs just represents a 22% saving compared to if you had bought the basic pack plus individual skins. It has been like this since the start.
    stluxSumoLegoBaby_YodaAanchirsid3windrkiki180703
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,703
    So what's the thinking now with another email begging us to tell our friends, very surprised this hasn't sold out given it might be limited. If Lego cant even sell this one to scalpers is there really a market for it? 
    sid3windr
    They have cut the numbers available too. For example, Ink Koi skin (UK) only 15 available in total now (0 taken). Splash Koi is 22/35 taken. They seem to have fiddled with the numbers to make it appear more successful. The UK Koi kit, only 535 available in total now.
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,876
    Interesting...
  • caterham7caterham7 UkMember Posts: 385
    Perhaps they've worked out that they need x, y and z more sold of each skin to make it worthwhile for an additional production of each version and they wouldn't hit these by the deadline.  So they've placed the lower limits to stop it going into the next level and costing them more than they'd get back in sales.

I've bought myself the complete set and got my father the same for his birthday next April.

If I had to guess why the numbers changed, the previous numbers were probably the maximum number they could hypothetically make for distribution as perks before having any idea of demand. Now that production has started on these and production schedules have been more firmly fixed for other sets/themes destined for retail, they updated the numbers to reflect the new maximum number they expect to be able to produce and ship.
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 260
    The sets don't interest me in the least, but the crowdfunding angle is a good idea for Lego to introduce themes with potentially limited interest without Lego losing a ton of money.
  • Djblythe05Djblythe05 NorthantsMember Posts: 34
    Sri’s till toying with the idea of buying this, managed to keep talking myself out of it at the last minute. Does anyone have one of the referral links if I do give in and buy one?
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,703
    SMC said:
    Anyone enjoying watching the race between the UK and US to sold out, both at half way.

UK 524/1000
    USA 1500/3000
    Do we have a winner?

The UK is sold out but only 950 were sold, not sure why they changed the number.
  • HobHob My Lego houseMember Posts: 223
    I just got one 10mins ago says there's still some available.
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,298
    Just had an email to say the UK sets are shipping over the weekend and expected on the 16th. US deliveries are delayed until early February due to the skins being made in Europe and taking a while to ship across the pond.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBDjblythe05kiki180703
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474
    Thanks for the info. Hoping my email is inbound!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 5,827
    It wouldn't be a real Kickstarter/indiego/whatever without a delay of some sort. 
    SprinkleOtterMynatt
    I cancelled my order for it, yet they still email me things like asking me to do a survey about it, and asking if I would like to be put in the hat to join their panel answering questions about building the set once it has been sent out. I've said yes, so it will be interestnigif they pick me!

Hopefully this means they will also send me a shipping email too :-)

sid3windr
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 276
    Interesting that I've not received a single email about it since the campaign ended...am I the only one?

I was in for the box + all skins, with delivery to the US.
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 2,035
    ^There have been 19 update emails. Spam filter perhaps?
  • Ray1204Ray1204 USAMember Posts: 69
    Interesting that I've not received a single email about it since the campaign ended...am I the only one?

I was in for the box + all skins, with delivery to the US.
    Well to update you, USA shipping delayed and should Delivery will be around around Feb 6th.
  • keithsimpsonkeithsimpson Member Posts: 39
    No emails received since signing up.