The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

LEGO FORMA

Comments

• datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,258
    I'm in for the US set with all 4 skins, signed up this morning. Unless there are some oddball parts in the frame I figure I can make more frames from spare parts and make a whole school of fish.
    madforLEGOAanchirkiki180703
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 398
    edited September 27
    It looks like the 500 perks target is going to be reached by the time this post is written.. And they gave the self a 1 month target to reach this.. (I think is was only a matter of minutes till this was achieved in reality)..

The only issue I have is that you need to purchase 1 super set, and 3 koi sets to be able to have all 4 of the models on display at the same time.. I.e. the super set only has 1 complete model, and the rest are skins. 

But overall I’m looking forward to receiving the first FORMA sets in January...
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 606
    I went ahead and got the super set since I am a sucker.  I am not sure I agree with a billion dollar company crowd funding things but I understand this is a way for them to experiment more with sets without taking as much financial risk.  Will be interesting to see where this theme goes in the future.  
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,114
    I think it's an interesting concept, but being the cynic that I am I can't help but feel that most of these will end up on eBay due to the initial short production run. 
    Ian_S
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,705
    If crowdfunding gets creative and cool stuff made that would not otherwise see the light of day, I'm all for it.
    drdavewatford
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 215
    I'm in for the Super Box in the US.  Looking forward to it!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,680
    It is not obvious to me, is the UK one shipped from UK or from outside EU? Just thinking about tax / VAT.
  • 7BS7BS CaliforniaMember Posts: 39
    Very interesting...it seems like a response to some of Jason Alleman's work. It's certainly unique, but that the aesthetics of the model rely on printed foil seems to recall the "de-legoization" of the early 2000's. Of course, I understand that most of the model is pure Technic, but I still wonder whether using some advanced building techniques to achieve brick-build fish curvature wouldn't have appealed to the adult market just as well and made for a lengthier, more engaging building experience.
    Ian_Skiki180703catwrangler
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 1,949
    edited September 27
    Wasn't sold at first when seeing the set pictures on the Brickset homepage, however I went to check out the Indiegogo page anyway, and really liked what I saw there. There pictures there seem to do the set more justice and it's much bigger than I originally thought.

So thanks to the power of this great forum community, I now have a set with all 4 skins on order! :)
    The frames seem to be fairly standard Technic pieces, however according to the FAQ there's a new connector piece. Let's see whether it shows up in B&P, or an alternative solution is possible to create extra frames in case I would want all 4 one display at the same time.

Not quite as cute as the Japan-only Muji theme, but will look great on display!
    edited September 27
    ^^^ I would guess this is being shipped direct from LEGO, same as any other LEGO order you place. It’s just that the concept / theme has been launched a different way.

From the FORMA Indiegogo page:
     “Final adjustments to the LEGO® FORMA model and packaging design will lock October 31st, and the campaign ends on Indiegogo November 6th after which the products will be shipped within 2-3 months.”
    “Campaigns are run by their individual Campaign Owners, not by Indiegogo. As such, they are best able to help answer any questions you might have about their project or perks they are offering!”

And the campaign owner is listed as LEGO. 

• 7BS7BS CaliforniaMember Posts: 39
    edited September 27
    @Fireheart I understand that this is an entirely LEGO product. My point was that the reliance on foil reminds me of the large, pre-fab parts that (dis)graced the product line back then.
    7BS said:
    @Fireheart I understand that this is an entirely LEGO product. My point was that the reliance on foil reminds me of the large, pre-fab parts that (dis)graced the product line back then.
    :) I was responding to @CCC and the question on tax.. and shipping. 
    Yes, location is Billund, so should be ok. I've gone for basic kit plus ink skin.

I notice some backers have placed multiple high value orders, but the limit is one fish model.
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,054
    Looks interesting. Mrs Speedman has a crafting machine that can cut paper, card and plastic as well as draw images.....just need to scan a skin sheet to get the locating points and I reckon I can create some new fish!

Just ordered the main set and the shark skin.
    catwrangler
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 553
    really interesting stuff they're doing.  I went ahead and got the super pack or whatever it's called. lol
  • SithLord196SithLord196 Member Posts: 1,114
    Honestly, I really want to order one and have some money saved with which I could, but I am struggling with the price. 

I will probably end up ordering one anyway, as I find the concept fascinating and think a theme along these lines could be interesting.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,211
    I'm SO on the fence for this one and whether I want to pick up the 1 Skin set or not. I really do like the visual of it though!
    samiam391
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 323
    Way too weird and specialized. There are already a lot of bent panel and pin stuff out there, we don't cranked Lego fish (of all weird things). Seems like a Znap move to me...
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 214
    I like it - I also think it's very little risk to Lego. There are no specialized parts. Each kit has the same parts. The only unique things are the foil prints, which are just that, foil prints.

There's no financial outlay for new molds, colors, manufacturing techniques, etc. Just existing parts + some paper/foil.

I also think I understand the target market. Normal Lego is still mostly seen as a toy. And while Technic adds nice interactivity, most of it is vehicles or machinery. This is intended for the "adult" executive who wants a talking point on their desk or a homeowner who wants a stylish sculpture on their shelf. The kind of thing you'd see in an Ikea catalogue.
    catwrangler
    ^To that point, don't forget the Ikea-Lego partnership that was announced a few months back. Maybe it's more sculptural items like this that would help make that partnership really come alive?
    Baby_Yodacatwrangler
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,290
    edited September 27
    To buy or not to buy. Cannot decide. I like rare Lego.. But not that impressed with the product as is.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 10,338
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,580
    I like it - I also think it's very little risk to Lego. There are no specialized parts. Each kit has the same parts. The only unique things are the foil prints, which are just that, foil prints.

There's no financial outlay for new molds, colors, manufacturing techniques, etc. Just existing parts + some paper/foil.

I also think I understand the target market. Normal Lego is still mostly seen as a toy. And while Technic adds nice interactivity, most of it is vehicles or machinery. This is intended for the "adult" executive who wants a talking point on their desk or a homeowner who wants a stylish sculpture on their shelf. The kind of thing you'd see in an Ikea catalogue.
    I suspect the biggest risk to LEGO is it being a more adult targeted product, and one in a new, unproven category. This may make many major stores like Target and Wal-Mart less likely to carry it since it doesn’t really fit in with the majority of toys which are targeted at a more reliable audience of kids. And absent TRU there aren’t a whole lot of big brick-and-mortar toy store chains that are willing to carry the more niche, adult-skewing product lines like Architecture or Ideas. But I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Barnes and Noble and other big bookstore chains carry it in their toys and collectibles department, as they do with the aforementioned Architecture brand.

Another thing that strikes me as unique about this brand, at least compared to other older-skewing mechanical themes like Technic and Mindstorms, is that it’s not nearly as aggressive and hyper-masculine in its branding. Comparing these boxes with current Technic boxes in particular this becomes painfully apparent. Angular white logo text vs. bubbly blue logo text. Edgy black boxes with dimly lit background scenery vs. calming white boxes festooned with colorful ribbons and stylish animal motifs.

Even the lifestyle photos on the crowdfunding campaign shows a man and a woman (an implied biracial couple, at that… something that shouldn’t be extraordinary and yet we all saw that embarrassing flap where a biracial family in a Cheerios ad resulted in a disgusting flood of white supremacist complaints on their social media not so long ago) playing with the set together in a peaceful domestic setting. And I have to say… it’s incredibly refreshing. I hope other women might feel the same way about finally getting a more mechanically intricate theme that doesn’t have such a “no girls allowed” vibe to its design and marketing.
    SumoLegostluxtwoeyesgirlBaby_Yodacatwrangler
    Aanchir said:
    Even the lifestyle photos on the crowdfunding campaign shows a man and a woman (an implied biracial couple, at that… something that shouldn’t be extraordinary and yet we all saw that embarrassing flap where a biracial family in a Cheerios ad resulted in a disgusting flood of white supremacist complaints on their social media not so long ago) playing with the set together in a peaceful domestic setting.
    I suppose the marketing campaign for Multi-Grain Cheerios could be more inclusive, and regular Cheerios is for the boring 'majority' folk.  Let's hear it for hysterical myopia!

Anyway, I get the sense this is a barometer for more artistically-inspired LEGO design geared toward adults.  (But I shutter at the prospect of having to build full-size LEGO furniture.  IKEA is hard enough!)
    SprinkleOtterpharmjodAanchir
    I don't see where the risk is. "Limited Edition" and limit it to about 15000 sets, and let buyers know that, it would sell out easily at [email protected]
    Mr_CrossmadforLEGO
  • twoeyesgirltwoeyesgirl Member Posts: 7
    Simply by using indiegogo they are reaching a different audience than they would do via [email protected] Probably their target consumers for this line wouldn’t go anywhere near a lego store. Based on the description they made, we are not the key target for this product (we don’t have any problem buying toys, this is aimed for people who need an artistic excuse to buy one). 
    Also I’m assuming the logistics of selling through [email protected] are more complicated vs using an external platform. Overall I think this is an interesting experiment and I can’t wait to see what else they come with. 
    Baby_Yodadrdavewatfordstluxpharmjodcatwranglerkiki180703
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 690
    edited September 28
    ^ I agree. I can think of many who would buy this but not regular Lego. It's a shame that they're not in my country, because I would really like to show some people that Lego isn't all open-wall houses and Minecraft ores. On the other hand, I nearly got this on a pure impulse, and I'm glad that I was stopped. It's beneficial for those of us that aren't in the UK and US to be able to see whether these are any good before we get them. If they're never made available again, then that's probably a good thing.
    33% of the Super Box allocations in the US and the UK have sold in the first hype period (first 24 hours of launch). I wonder how many they need to sell in reality to make this a success, and a full production run launched?

100% of the Super Box allocation for both UK and US?
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 690
    ^ That would be both insane and likely.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,480
    I just dont get the point of Lego crowdfunding, not that this would ever happen but say this didn't hit its target are Lego really not going to send people the product? The negative press would cost Lego a lot more than just sending the product anyway so it doesn't take any risk out.

Which isn't even the point as Lego could sell a turd but if they say it was limited in number people would buy it so I dont see how Lego will be able to tell anything from the support rate unless they have multiple products at the same time so they can see which one is more liked. But even this would bring us back to the start, are Lego really not going to send people anything that support (paid) for one of the less popular products.

As for using Indiegogo to reach new people, does anything think its not mainly AFOLs buying up these sets in part hoping that they will stay limited.
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 297
    @SumoLego I thought you were only allowed to buy one?
    You have to make multiple purchases. They don't have a cart setup on indigogo. I ordered 2 of the super boxes and one of the regular. Keeping one super box for me, one to maybe sell one day if it is worth anything and the regular to give to my dad. He has a koi pond.

I always try to support these types of initiatives from LEGO. I like it when they take interesting risks. The ideas maze and the upcoming pop up book for me are highlights.
    SumoLegoPitfall69catwranglerkiki180703
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,079
    I took the plunge and ordered a Super box. I'm not so much interested in the skins as the intriguing-looking mechanism, but decided to go the whole hog for completeness-sake.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on this initiative from LEGO, as it does have the potential to bring us some new, interesting concepts and models, along the lines of jk brickworks' models, as has been mentioned.

(One day, I will build his Sisyphus model!)
    SumoLego
    @pharmjod Thank you. I was under the impression that they were limited to one per person. I had a(n admittedly) quick look on the site and can't see where or if it states that so I could be wrong.
    ^ It does state “Limit (1) 81000 LEGO® FORMA Koi Model per backer”, but I’m not sure how they reinforce that after they have taken your money...

Maybe by cancelling orders? There is a long time till shipping.

In any event, I hope you get one for your father @pharmjod . It seems like an ideal way to connect and share hobbies between the two of you.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,480
    ^ And here is where we have our first problem, you are not making an order you are supporting a small project get off the ground and are giving them your money to help them do this. If everything goes to plan you will get your perk but the platform isn't really built to cancel orders. It does say one 81000 per supporter does that include the super pack? I can see this all causing Lego lots of problems/complaints down the road.   
    @SumoLego I thought you were only allowed to buy one?
    I have an army of straw buyers.  And my Mom.
    Switchfoot55stluxMuftak1kiki180703
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,835
    I'm not sold on this. Initially I looked at the model and thought it's cute and kind of fun but was put off by the price. 

Then I thought I don't want to miss out so started ordering, but as I was doing so realised I really don't want the sets. While it's a nice idea for a different kind of set I really don't like the shells, if the fish were brick built I might have been convinced.

I also don't really like LEGO using a crowd funding service, and I'm saying that as someone who is a fan of crowd funding. It feels a bit off a company with funds available like TLG to be using a system devised to help those who'd struggle with traditional funding methods (banks etc) to get started. 

I also find it baffling that they'd use an existing crowd funding service (who will be taking a cut) instead of making their own as an offshoot of Ideas - they've already rolled rebrick into ideas, why not add a crowd funding service to it as well.

At best it comes across as a marketing gimmick, even with all the justification of reaching a different audience etc. 

Maybe I've just got cynical as I've got older but nothing about this appeals to me. 
    7BSbandit778Mr_CrossterfstenMynattmadforLEGOkiki180703
    edited September 28
    As you are making a donation, they could well just send one set if you purchase two, as they do say it is one per person.

Note the skins are different codes, so those don't count towards numbers of 81000.
    Frankly, if the project fails, then LEGO refunds our contributions and we all move on.

I'm not sure why LEGO would be any different than any other project on Indiegogo.  If the project fails, it fails.
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,258
    I think using an established crowd funding site makes a lot more sense than Lego trying to make their own. Many people on the forum complain about the shortcomings of Lego's retail website, and indiegogo has already worked out how to make a website for this that works. Why divert funds from things Lego is good at, like making Lego sets, to attempt to make something they are not as good at, especially when a working solution already exists? If they had tried to set this up on their own, we'd have a couple of pages of complaints about website issues by now.
    Astrobrickstwoeyesgirlcatwranglerkiki180703
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 4,835
    edited September 28
    SumoLego said:
    Frankly, if the project fails, then LEGO refunds our contributions and we all move on.

I'm not sure why LEGO would be any different than any other project on Indiegogo.  If the project fails, it fails.
    While I'm sure LEGO would refund people, they don't have to in this case. With crowd funding you aren't placing a preorder, you are donating to a company to make a product/event/business etc happen.

I've given to crowd funding that hasn't been fulfilled, it's annoying losing out but you realise very quickly that there's little you can can about it.

Pretty sure LEGO would give refunds to avoid a PR nightmare, but a refund isn't garunteed. 

(also seems this is almost certainly going to be fulfilled so largely moot discussion) 

• HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 606
    Not that there was any chance they wouldn't hit their 500 mark, but it is important to note as @Shib said, for those new to crowd funding, you aren't guaranteed your money back if something doesn't work out.

https://support.indiegogo.com/hc/en-us/articles/205665518-What-happens-to-my-money-if-a-campaign-fails-
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 1,963
    I think using an established crowd funding site makes a lot more sense than Lego trying to make their own. Many people on the forum complain about the shortcomings of Lego's retail website, and indiegogo has already worked out how to make a website for this that works. Why divert funds from things Lego is good at, like making Lego sets, to attempt to make something they are not as good at, especially when a working solution already exists? If they had tried to set this up on their own, we'd have a couple of pages of complaints about website issues by now.
    Indeed. The update posted on the project just now:

"Unfortunately, we are experiencing some IT problems and are currently unable to answer your direct emails. We are working on solving the problem as fast as we can, and hope to have everything fixed by tomorrow."

Astrobrickscatwranglerkiki180703
    I haven't ever done a crowd sourcing item before, so maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but the current status is 510% of 500. Doesn't this mean its fully funded and there won't be any risk of product not shipping/goals not being met/refunds not being processed?
    pharmjod
    What, we're not getting sets?!?!
    I haven't ever done a crowd sourcing item before, so maybe I'm just reading it wrong, but the current status is 510% of 500. Doesn't this mean its fully funded and there won't be any risk of product not shipping/goals not being met/refunds not being processed?
    Reaching 100% or more means they get the money and can go ahead but it doesn't mean they will deliver. There was a minifigures printing guy on Kickstarter that got the funding then didn't deliver.
    This is all irrelevant. LEGO is not going to fail to deliver. If by some ridiculous fluke they drop the ball, they will refund. Pure and simple. They will not want it to be a PR nightmare.
    datsunrobbieSumoLegoPitfall69kiki180703