Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Buying LEGO on eBay

Comments

• roxioroxio UKMember Posts: 1,329

roxio said:

Basically anyone reselling who bought it for that purpose should be registered with HMRC (for UK sellers) and submitting an annual tax return

It sounds like it is a UK specific thing then.
    What, you can sell for tax-free profits in other countries ???

• y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    Odindusk said:

It boggles my mind how someone could purchase that set and not know it was small. Am I the only one that researches damn near everything I buy in life?

You'd be surprised how many people are on the other side of the coin and have absolutely NO CLUE what they just bought. I have no issues taking returns due to buyer's remorse myself, but the item needs to be in the same condition I sent it in, and I also make it clear that neither the original shipping nor the return shipping will be refunded.
    LegoboyLegoFanTexas
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    edited November 2012
    roxio said:

What, you can sell for tax-free profits in other countries ???

My observation is there is no distinction on eBay US between being a "business seller" and any other kind of seller. This probably isn't the right forum to launch into a discussion of the fine points of the US tax code.
  • leego76leego76 Chandlers FordMember Posts: 360
    ^ Or the UK system. Let alone the thorny reselling issue!
  • mcvitiemcvitie Sheffield, EnglandMember Posts: 291
    ebay gets right on my nerves sometime. I sold a Hogarts Castle NEW last week and the buyer just sent me this email

''hi, received item today. thank you for fast delivery. although i am satisfied with condition of goods, its not really what i thought it was going to be. i thought it was going to be a bit more technical, a lot of the towers are pre molded, i thought it was going to involve more building. i dont think my 13 yr old son will get as much out of it as i was hoping. because of this i was wondering if it was possible to return it.''

woosah...

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    ^ You can blame eBay's efforts towards feeling and looking more "retailish" for that nonsense.

If they want returns, go buy on Amazon. :)
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    The line between Amazon and ebay gets ever more blurred. Amazon has more third-party sellers than ever and ebay has worked hard to build a facade of acting like an online retailer.
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    I've often searched on eBay using the "Completed" field to review recent selling prices for sets. It appears that just recently that option has disappeared. It used to be on the side menu, along with Condition, Price, Buying Formats, Location, etc.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed this? With that gone, it's quite a bit harder to figure out what current market value is on eBay. I can add things to my Watch list, but then I have to wait until those auctions are done to see the final prices.
  • JosephJoseph Member Posts: 651
    edited November 2012
    The completed listings option is still there, you just need to select it in the "choose more"/preferences section (on the left).
  • LegoPodcasterLegoPodcaster Member Posts: 115
    edited November 2012
    I noticed that in the last couple weeks as well. It is very annoying because I am checking completed Ebay listings multiple times a day.

If you click on "Choose more..." on the left side bar there is an option to turn on completed listings. It just takes one more step than before.
  • tdhbrtdhbr Member Posts: 188
    Found it, thanks. That is really annoying how they hid it.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    I think they have been experimenting with this for months. The field has been moving around, sometimes on top, sometimes buried in a menu. I do like the "sold items" search they are testing (like completed items, but only shows actual transactions).
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,691
    Blimey, you gave me a heart attack. I read the name of the thread and cried out, "Noooooooooooo." Having opened it up and read its content, I gave out a big sigh and collapsed back down into the sofa. As you were.
    TheBrickLadd
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    They have definitely been experimenting with that. Sometimes it's right where I remember it to be, sometimes it's buried, and once in a while I can't seem to find it at all.
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,370
    If you are using Google Chrome it is at the top of the page.
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited November 2012
    There are several browser plugins for reformatting ebay pages, also you can use this to search completed ebay US auctions straight from the browser search box .. http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=ebay+completed
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    I noticed this on the .com site a couple of weeks ago. The .com.au site still has it as normal.

I would say eBay thinks they will make more money not having it, as the more people who use it to get an idea of recent sale prices (research) the more people who will only bid the lower end of those sale prices.
  • dr_tengdr_teng Member Posts: 101
    Ah, so that's where it went. I noticed that yesterday as well. Annoying!
    edited November 2012
    ^^ In which case I'd stop using it altogether. Prices have been increasing slowly for years. The prices of currently available items are usually comparable with those at other reputable retailers. Those items no longer available of whose prices go up by hiding features like that will mean more custom through Bricklink.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    edited November 2012
    I use google chrome as well as its ebay extension. The completed listings are at the very top of the page....it breaks it down into sold listings and completed listings which is very helpful in filtering out the unsold garbage to determine true market value.
    dragonhawk
  • AFFOL_Shellz_BellzAFFOL_Shellz_Bellz Member Posts: 1,263
    I've always accessed it by going through the "advance" link, and that is still the same.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,189
    edited November 2012

I think they have been experimenting with this for months. The field has been moving around, sometimes on top, sometimes buried in a menu. I do like the "sold items" search they are testing (like completed items, but only shows actual transactions).

Thats what I noticed, is in their new version (which strangely appeared when I had a bandwidth increase) the Completed items option is missing from the left side menu/option list.. it is because it is now right under the search bar that lets you choose 'sold' items or 'completed' items. I kinda like that better, but they can shelve the stupid dynamic time countdown in the search results.. that just bogs my PC down.
    I seriously doubt that search is going away.. people are just not finding it because of eBay's 'testing' and it is moving around
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    edited November 2012
    ^ And when do they decide to test out the new "features" ? Of course right around the time when most people do the most shopping....
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,189
    eBay is always being annoying with their 'improvements' when the site was just fine to begin with IMO.
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654
    What is strange to me is that the "completed" option is right at the middle top on all my computers except my home office one. The home office one is to the right of the "search" button on the top right of the page. And all the computers are macs and fully updated.
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    edited February 2013
    I shipped several eBay items out on December 10th, and was just told that a shipment to Portugal and one to the Netherlands has not yet arrived. They went USPS first class. I guess if they still have not arrived by the end of this week I will have to offer a refund. I had insurance on one of them anyway.

I know a number of people on here have dealt with this before. What is the process I should follow? Should they file a claim for not received item through eBay or through PayPal, or should I just refund them the money through Paypal directly? Is there any way to get my eBay selling fees back on the transactions?

Any help would be appreciated. This sucks. I will have to sell something to cover it as I have all my LEGO money tied up in investment sets at the moment.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,239
    I had an order coming to me from the Czech republic that took 6 weeks, so unless you're at the limit of time for filing a claim I would give it a little more time for them to get the. I actually ended up ordering a 2nd time from the same person while waiting for my first order and because of the weight of the 2nd one it was cheaper for him to send it the equivalent of "priority" where the first one was whatever the cheapest is. I got the 2nd order in like 8 days which was still 2 weeks before I got the first order.

The slow mail options are really just slow to some countries.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,774
    If you are satisfied that it is lost, ask the buyer to lodge a claim and that way you'll get your ebay fees refunded once you've made the refunds. If you do it all yourself you won't get your fees back.
    Clearing US customs is usually the biggest hurdle. I sent something by UPS that took 3 weeks to arrive - 2 days to get to the US, 16 days to clear customs and 2 more days nationally to get to the recipient in Ohio.
  • asmodaiasmodai PortugalMember Posts: 16
    For the shipment to Portugal, from the US, the most likely reason for the delay must be the customs at Portugal. It takes 2-3 weeks just for the customs to ask for payment or total cost information. I once had a purchase with good tracking info and the item arrived in 2 days to Portugal, on the tracking it showed as at customs and only two weeks later I received the contact from customs. More recently had one purchase I thought lost but after about 5-6 weeks after the seller shipped the item I received the message from customs.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,137
    How did you get insurance on a first class international package through the USPS? I never see the insurance option for international mail unless it is sent priority or express?
    ^ insurepost.com

Insurance for domestic USPS first-class through insurepost.com is also cheaper than through USPS. Of course I have yet to file a claim to see how that works, but my understanding is that people have had horrible experience with claims with USPS direct.
    Renny
    Awesome, thank you. I didn't know that existed.
    @monkeyhanger, would they initiate a claim through eBay or Paypal or does it matter?

Thank you all for your responses. I will ask them to wait until closer to the 45 day mark (in about a week) as they have until then to file for their protection and will see if they arrive.
    Emilewski: They'd initiate it through ebay, ebay would ask you kindly to pay or negotiate with the buyer (perhaps if they'd instigated it early you discuss to ask them to wait a while longer - not in your case, if you're asking them to make a claim). You then refund and inform ebay that you have, and they refund the sellers fees to your ebay account.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    edited June 2013
    The mobile app has had this for a while, but recently, the main site has added the ability to filter by sold items.

Note, this is better than "completed" items (which has been around forever) in that really, the only thing that matters is those that actually sold.
    It may just be me but I have actually had this filter on ebay for the past few months now. Was I in some sort of Beta?!?
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Probably not, I just noticed it and noticed that nobody else commented on it. I've been wanting this for a long time myself.
    It really is pretty helpful. Makes the completed item filter kind of useless, to me anyway.
  • black_towrblack_towr MinnesotaMember Posts: 165
    Yea i've had the ability to search "sold" items for quite awhile now.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,943
    For the past few months, I've had some kind of new-look eBay from work, but from home everything still looks like the old eBay. Like other big web companies, maybe they test the waters by rolling things out gradually.
  • y2joshy2josh Member Posts: 2,002
    I had the 'sold items' search option for a couple weeks back in March, then it mysteriously vanished. I noticed it back a few weeks ago, so I'm assuming there was some kind of beta, in spite of the fact that any kind of beta should have resulted in someone at eBay realizing how utterly worthless 'completed listings' has become.
    Thanks @tensor

I actually prefer the 'completed items' view. It helps judge just how many of a particular set are actually out there, regardless of whether they sold or not. I suppose both are useful. :-)
    cheshirecat
  • jamiestjamiest englandMember Posts: 37
    Not available on mine (Ebay UK).
    Like others, I had it a few months back, and was really useful, but then it disappeared!

It does however show on my work PC, but the server is in France, so I guess it must be regional.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,318
    I like having all completed items too. I don't just want to know what has sold, but what hasn't sold and at what price.
  • coachiecoachie South WalesMember Posts: 476
    I like completed not sold too. There's a chap in the UK been selling the same large used technic sets for 2 years now on BIN. At some point you'd think he would reduce the price.
    andhe
  • jadedancjadedanc USAMember Posts: 1,303
    I don't see it on my app either. Would love to have it though. Will try on laptop when I get home
  • dragonhawkdragonhawk USMember Posts: 633
    The sold only filter has been there for quite some time under "more options". There is a link to "Sold only" on the main screen. The locations of this link has been changed several times or even removed in the past few weeks.

@jadedanc Perhaps you need to download the latest version of the app.
  • legoprodslegoprods SpainMember Posts: 434
    Funnily, I had it on the Spanish eBay site, but not on the .com site.
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 855
    I purchased a new in (unsealed but totally intact with sealed bags) LEGO castle set on eBay. It was shipped by FedEx ground and arrived with a giant gash in the box that cut clean through the LEGO box and crushed the top third of it. So the premium I paid for sealed bags and a great box is now pointless (and I had planned to save this and gift it to my daughter, who wouldn't know the difference about whether the original box was sealed).

FedEx won't process my claim until the shipper releases any claim. I contacted the seller/shipper through eBay to request a release but he has not responded after two weeks. What do I do now? Do I make a claim / complaint against the seller through eBay and force him to make the claim against FedEx (the lawyer in me says yes)? Do I attempt to bang my head against the wall with FedEx? Or do I just accept the damaged set and be happy that the parts themselves are fine? Thoughts welcome based on both buyers and sellers with this experience.