Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego as therapy article

Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,054
On the BBC website, an article about a footballer using Lego as therapy for depression
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45579754
catwrangler

Comments

• GremerGremer The Commonwealth of VirginiaMember Posts: 178
    I have major depressive disorder, along with anxiety, and I use Lego as a sort of therapy for it. It helps me focus and it gives me a goal to work towards.
    Toc13lkliment2
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,030
    David Beckham also tried (and failed) to build the original Taj Mahal and also bought Tower Bridge, as it helps him "pass the time" and "calm down".

I normally take some LEGO with me if I'm going to be in a hotel room for nights on end.

Toc13Speedman29
  • Game_onGame_on USAMember Posts: 90
    I've use Lego as a de-stressing tool for a while now.

I may dig through my Lego bin and rebuild something from the past, or pull a box off the shelve and build something new when I'm feeling stressed out or weighed down by work. 

Its just a great disconnect.

Last week, work was weighing me down and stressing me out.  So this past weekend I sat down and built #75021

Felt much calmer and focused after completing it. 
    Toc13
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,814
    I find it easy to fall into the internet whirlpool when I'm depressed like now (meds not working due to recent surgery); I'm trying lately to have more evenings when I sit down and work on my latest set with a movie on in the background. 
    Jern92
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,476
    Funny I find LEGO to be causing me stress. Where are the Bricktober sets going to be. Can I not buy LEGO for a year(or more so I can move out of city)? With my love of Star Wars gone do I stop buying sets, and sell my old ones? I could go on, but that could cause me stress too. 
    Jern92Baby_Yoda
  • Jern92Jern92 MalaysiaMember Posts: 803
    I dive into Lego whenever I'm having a particularly bad day or feeling my mind spiraling into negativity. It helps me calm down and refocus my thoughts, as well as ignore the voice in my head that tells me none of my friends actually like me and they only hang around to be polite. Living alone, while nice for the peace and quiet, can also get rather lonely at times, so Lego helps me cope with that when I'm feeling down.
    catwrangler
  • gelkstergelkster MN, USAMember Posts: 500
    edited September 2018
    LEGO helped pull me out of a depression just over 2 yrs ago. My case was almost exactly like that of the footballer in the article. 
    catwrangler
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,363
    CCC said:
    I normally take some LEGO with me if I'm going to be in a hotel room for nights on end.

Thats what brought me out of my dark ages. I'd been staying away for a few days each week, then had a couple of weeks away in a row. Hotel was across the road from TrU, #3221 was on sale. The following week I was surfing ebay for cheap sets.
    catwrangler
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,654
    I recently found this article as Lego being used as a therapy for those suffering from multiplesclerosis. Pretty fascinating. 

https://multiplesclerosis.net/living-with-ms/building-better-life-legos/

Toc13catwrangler
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 888
    My wife uses Lego for anxiety and even had an article written about it.  https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15624561.im-battling-anxiety-but-lego-is-helping-me-build-a-better-life/  

She wants to do more to use Lego to help others.

For me it helps with the stress of everything.  Organising the shows etc are a different kind of stress and a good distraction to keep parts of my brain busy.  Constantly thinking of moc ideas keeps other parts busy.
    Toc13Baby_Yodacatwrangler