Automatic Binding Bricks value

mickejmickej swedenMember Posts: 1
HI

Can somebody help me with a value on this.
The manual is printed 1950 in Swedish.
The box is never used.

Mike

SumoLegotcckiki180703AstrobricksBumblepantsstluxdmcc0datsunrobbieOnebricktoomanypxchrisCyberdragon

Comments

• LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 480
    Holy cow!  That box is great shape! 

Based only on this photo, I'd the value is a couple thousand US dollars. 
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,257
    edited September 2018
    @Istokg might like to see this....

:-)
    gmonkey76SumoLegokiki180703HanzoAstrobricksBrickByBrickdatsunrobbie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,917
    LEGO might want to see this!
    gmonkey76Toc13Astrobricksdmcc0SprinkleOtterdatsunrobbiekiki180703
  • IstokgIstokg MichiganMember Posts: 2,099
    I had to stitch 8 separate Geas catalog panels together (4 front/4 back)... so here is a 1951-52 Geas Catalog.  The first year (1950) as seen in the OPs set, had a 4 page black/white brochure instead, but by 1951 Geas made an Automatic Binding Bricks 2 sided/8 panel catalog brochure.  Here is the 1951-52 Geas catalog...

In 1953 TLG stopped using the name Automatic Binding Bricks, and switched over to using "LEGO Mursten" on the box top (it would use this name also for sets in Norway starting in October 1953).

However, TLG did not want Geas to use the same name, so the Geas sets had to change the set name to something else... so they chose PRIMA.  Geas sold PRIMA sets from 1953, until 1955.  In March 1955 TLG started selling LEGO sets in Sweden (sets put together from boxes from TLG Denmark, and parts from Norway).  Swedish LEGO Mursten sets were put together in Lerum Sweden.  With the advent of LEGO in Sweden in 1955, TLG ended their relationship with Geas Konstharts, and no more construction bricks sets were produced by Geas after 1955.

The 1953-55 PRIMA sets made by Geas Konstharts were sold in boxes like this..... still with the LEGO Automatic Binding Bricks box top image.

And the 1953-54 Geas Prima catalog looks like this.... very much like the earlier 1950-52 Geas ABB catalog....

Geas PRIMA sets, like the earlier Geas Automatic Binding Bricks sets are very valuable today, mainly due to their link with The LEGO Group first Automatic Binding Bricks sets.

Ironically, neither TLG Denmark, nor Geas Konstharts, have archival records of a collaboration between them of selling similar sets back in the 1950s... but the evidence is beyond doubt!!  :-)

There is an entire subchapter (on Automatic Binding Bricks) in my Unofficial LEGO Sets/Parts Collectors Guide (2800 page computer desktop online guide) devoted to the Geas ABB/PRIMA sets, parts and documentation, and how TLG was involved with them, even without archival records.
    stluxmsandersOnebricktoomanyLusiferSamdrdavewatfordkiki180703SumoLegodatsunrobbieTheOriginalSimonB
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 378
    mickej said:
    HI

Can somebody help me with a value on this.
    The manual is printed 1950 in Swedish.
    The box is never used.

Mike

As has been said, this is rare and extremely valuable. Treat it as a museum artifact. Look into the proper handling and care of vintage paper and cardboard as it can be easily damaged or rot over time. Make sure your hands are clean and dry when handling the box or papers. Also avoid storing it in or near certain materials such as wood (yes, wood gas eats cardboard and paper), styrofoam, or anything else that may emit reactive vapors. The bricks should be fine, they should even withstand being assembled (bakelite usually does't rot) if you want to and are careful.