Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UK Round Robin box - any interest?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,311
    Shib said:
    Being the last before it heads home and not being massively impressed with the contents I'd suggest asking people to log what they take out and put in (but not nessesarily posting this pics) so if you are seriously unhappy with the end result it's easier to see if it's unfortunate circumstances or certain individuals taking the mickey - particularly useful if you're thinking of doing more in the future. 
    I get what you are saying, and in previous round robins thought doing this might be a good idea to ensure fairness. But I think logging parts in and out might take the fun out of it. I didn't want people thinking they cannot take a part if they haven't something of the same value to put back or to have to check BL or ebay values before swapping to ensure equivalent value, but to use some common sense here - so if a decent part was taken with nothing similar to replace it, maybe a decent minfiigure goes back in or vice versa.

I'm not too bothered about what comes back as what went in was my "junk pile" (decent enough parts, but unlikely to be used by me or because I had too much anyway). Although if it is not a good enough selection to send out, it will probably be a while before I build up enough spares to send a box out again.

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,287
    @CCC I'm completely with you, I've participated in them before and not thought it nessesary, but there are some figs in there that are in pretty shocking condition (face prints smeared partially off) which I though was a pretty poor thing to put in, personally if I was putting anything with print on in the box I'd only put it in of I would be happy taking it out.

Obviously they might have been put in in good condition and got a bit rubbed off, but I don't think that's really that likely. Of course they could have been in there from the start, in which case perhaps my standards are too high, but some of them I'd personally most likely have binned if they were mine. 

I agree that the value thing should be common sense rather than checking Bricklink, personally I didn't do that and I think I probably put in a bit of a higher value than I took out in terms of £ value, but I'm guessing rather than knowing.

I don't think that it needs policing to the level of everyone sending or posting pictures, but I think chances are most people have a camera to hand on their phone so it's easy to log what you took/put in just in case an issue arises. Also I think part of the fun is not knowing what is in it until it arrives so everyone posting pics of what they've put in it would spoil a little of that fun. I guess perhaps if you want to put a rule on it that is less strict would be "only put things in that are of a quality that you would happily use yourself" 
    bandit778Mr_CrossLostInTranslationBOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,058
    Hadn't done anything like this before and enjoyed partaking in the whole thing (so wanted to sort all the parts into individual baggies though, but that's just me).
    To be honest I didn't really give much more than a cursory glance at the minifigures, polys or oddments that were in the box as the parts were more my thing so they were the main focus of my attention for the couple of evenings I had it.
    Would be more than willing to PM a record/photo of the ins and outs of the box whilst in my possession next time round if required though.
    Mr_Cross
  • PJ76ukPJ76uk Derby, UKMember Posts: 495
    Shib said:
    @CCC I'm completely with you, I've participated in them before and not thought it nessesary, but there are some figs in there that are in pretty shocking condition (face prints smeared partially off) which I though was a pretty poor thing to put in, personally if I was putting anything with print on in the box I'd only put it in of I would be happy taking it out.

Obviously they might have been put in in good condition and got a bit rubbed off, but I don't think that's really that likely. Of course they could have been in there from the start, in which case perhaps my standards are too high, but some of them I'd personally most likely have binned if they were mine. 

I agree that the value thing should be common sense rather than checking Bricklink, personally I didn't do that and I think I probably put in a bit of a higher value than I took out in terms of £ value, but I'm guessing rather than knowing.

I don't think that it needs policing to the level of everyone sending or posting pictures, but I think chances are most people have a camera to hand on their phone so it's easy to log what you took/put in just in case an issue arises. Also I think part of the fun is not knowing what is in it until it arrives so everyone posting pics of what they've put in it would spoil a little of that fun. I guess perhaps if you want to put a rule on it that is less strict would be "only put things in that are of a quality that you would happily use yourself" 
    I wouldn't know the value of each part either, would just let commonsense be my guide. But things such as damaged print or chewed/grubby/fake bricks should be obvious not to put in as a replacement for what is taken out. Wouldn't want everyone to post in public what they put in but updating the originator in PM shouldn't be a big deal, unless @CCC wants to be surprised at what he gets back!
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 774
    @Shib one of the ''rules" was only put in stuff you would be happy to receive, along with "no tat". I did notice the minifigs you are referring to when I got the box and did think it was a pretty shitty move for someone to put those in. There was also so sticker sheets etc. However, I suppose if you've replaced what you've taken and there's still some weight left then no harm putting in some junk. Different if your replacing what you've taken with junk though. You never know what someone might want.  
    Shib
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 496
    I thought it would be more interesting if people posted a picture of what they took out, but not one of what they put in - I feel that somehow that would be spoiling the surprise.
    SilentMode
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,287
    Trip to the Post office done and the box is now on its way home.
    CCCMr_Cross
  • LegolisLegolis Leeds, UKMember Posts: 241
    Would love to be included if this happens again.
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 402
    I'd be interested in joining in too.
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 366
    When I had the box there were lots of used bricks inside but a real random assortment. I took out a Star Wars keyring and a 2 cmfs. I put in the contents of the City advent calendar from last year - complete with all figures and pieces. All in very good condition. Not sure if this was right or wrong?
    It's fine, there isn't really a right or wrong here.
    On the next go around I hope someone puts in the 2016 city advent calendar, wouldn't mind extra firemen!
  • KaitchKaitch N. IrelandMember Posts: 384
    Next go round, I hope someone puts in the 2018 Star Wars calendar, 'cause I lost a chunk of the best build in the thing, and it's a pretty specific piece...
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,234
    Just wondering if this was happening again, I'd be interested as I missed last year! :)
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 536
    @Kaitch what are you needing from the 2018 SW calendar? I may have some spares.
    @khmellymel we could start a new one? Between the two of us, we know lots of people who would take part. We could discuss it at the next meet-up.
    khmellymel
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 1,105
    I'd love to get in on the next round Robin. Also have spares from the calendar, but not of the minifigs.
  • GothamConstructionCoGothamConstructionCo Colchester UKMember Posts: 740
    I would be interested in joining the next round if we get enough participants.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,511
    I have loads of tat and ruined old bricks to get rid of... So I'm interested :-)
    BumblepantsSprinkleOtterandhedmcc0
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,449
    I'm interested too, sounds like fun.
    I can probably get another box together again, but it will be 3-4 weeks.

I think I'll need to limit it to 12 particpants again.
    GothamConstructionCo
    Also interested if this happens again, :) 
    @BOBJACK_JACKBOB @Brainslugged It's the Cloud Car from the Cloud City minibuild. I've got a spare grey clamp thing, and spare clear studs, but I don't have another red technicblock thing. I managed to drop the build on a hard floor, the car broke away and I haven't seen it since.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOB
    @Kaitch - I'll have a spare one of those that's going unloved. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll stick it in the mail.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBdmcc0LobotsnowhitieLego_Stargmonkey76
    OK, I've got another box ready if anyone is up for this again. If you are, can you add your name to the thread (not by PM). Also if you participated before, can you indicate this (put "again" after you name), as about 1/2 the used parts are from what came back last time so priority for early slots will go to people that didn't participate last time.

Can you sign up by 29 April. 
    andhe
    Yo, I'm in.
    Again.  Can I be first on the list of "returners" if you don't fill all the slots?  Was good fun last time.
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,234
    Thanks for organising, I'd love to be in!
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,075
    Again. I enjoyed digging through the last one, happy to be included if there's space please, not a problem if there a lot of other interested parties. Thanks!
    I would like to be included please. I wasn't part of it last time. Thanks!
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,821
    Count me in please.
    Is there any pics of the boxes contents at the start/end of its last journey? Curious to see how much stuff we could expect to pick though? Have a huge inventory of spare parts and a modest list of polybags and sets that I keep for sale/trade so this intrigues me...
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,449
    I'm up for this.
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 496
    ^ Last time the total weight of box plus LEGO was kept as just under 2kg for postal price reasons.
    edited April 2019
    I'm in. It sounded like a lot of fun last time.
    @HugeYellowBrick yes I am aware of the weight but curious as to what was in it! If its handfulls of used 2x4 bricks then I would pass! I enjoyed following the post last time but wasn't eligible to join in...
    There was a good mix of parts, a lot of variety.  A bag of new parts, a bag of used parts and some polybags/cmfs etc.  Of course, what qualifies as good is subjective, but it was definitely not just handfuls of 2x4 bricks, and excluding the couple of ropey used minifigs that were mentioned further up the thread, everything was in excellent condition; even the used parts.
    I would also like to be included in this round please.
    For the price of postage I suppose its worth it, never know I might come across a new part that inspires some MOCing! Just like the gold ingots in #21311 gave me the idea for a yellow brick road moc for WoO...

Count me in too...
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,897
    edited April 2019
    If still space I'd be up for this. Haven't done one in a while.

(Think the last time I accidently 'stole' the fish, if that means anything to anyone).
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,511
    Count me in. I need some way to swap my old, discolored and chewed 2x4s with some new parts or perhaps a white bobba fett with a white range finder.
  • COOLEGOCOOLEGO B'ham/SolihullMember Posts: 208
    AGAIN

If there’s a slot that needs filling, I’ll take it, but totally understand if there’s not
    Is there any space for on more?
    I think I may have missed part of the conversation at some point. What is the Trout of Shame, and is it related to the Salmon of Doubt?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,897
    I'm not exactly sure what the trout of shame was (other than a lego fish) but it got stuck in a baggie and I didn't realise until returning to the parts later. This was a long long time ago though, so I'm sorry for bringing it up!
    Yeah, it was a fish that was in one of the first boxes that had to remain in the box. More info was in the old round robin thread: https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/comment/271615#Comment_271615

Here he is, along with a doppelganger.

@Legolis, yes we can squeeze you in at the end. I'll deal with it in a couple of months nearer the time!
    Many thanks, apologies I missed the deadline. I'll keep an eye on the thread. :)
    ^^^ I can’t believe it was that long ago.