The forum is now at http://forum.brickset.com. Please update your bookmarks.
Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.
You must be 16 or over to participate in the Brickset Forum. Please read the announcements and rules before you join.

Comments

• SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 9,705
    I'm starting to think coffeeshops are the new lighthouse...
    gmonkey76davetheoxygenmankiki180703SprinkleOtterpharmjodBlueberryWafflesMynatt
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,369
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,737
    edited September 13
    Cannot be found on brickseek by set number. Neat set, guessing/hoping it is 9.99 USD
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,182
    Maybe it's a replacement for the Minifigure Cube at Xmas.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 4,846
    edited September 13
    Fun set, I have been wanting a dalmatian but not a $100 City fire station. With the 4 figures and the dog its not too awful at $20. Will probably be part of a promo somehow anyway to defray the cost.
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 464
    And here I was thinking the title was a joke...
    J0rgenBrixfan02mak0137juggles7
  • iso3200iso3200 97 miles from Brickset TowersMember Posts: 1,909
    Ooh. I like that. Target exclusive? Bummer!
    cody6268
  • ArpieArpie UKMember Posts: 28
    It's a little steeper then I was hoping at $20 but I still really like this set (and the pun!).  Hope this makes it's way over to Euroland as I'm very tempted by this.
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 345
    ^Wow! That's a really dark spin on a cute little set. (I like it!)  
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtterkiki180703iliketoast
  • natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 527
    Bobkov said:
    Initially I figured the name of the set was just the creative name of the shop. But after examining the picture for a while, I realize it is simply commentary on this moment in the life of the barista.

Like many of us, she just needed a job to pay her rent; she loves coffee, eats an occasional donut, so why not get a job at the city's most popular morning eating establishment? She probably even has a friend that works there who told her how much fun it is and how generous the tipping is.

This scene is just a day of her unfortunate reality. Instead of the plush position in the flagship store, the owners decided they needed to staff their outdoor street location, and since she was the new girl, she got the job. Each morning she gets up at 4:30 am, bikes 30 minutes to the west side and opens the 'shop' in all kinds of inclimate weather. She works the store alone, so she has to open, prep, serve, clean, restock, deal with complaints, cash out, and close. 
    Her friends make twice as much in tips than she does; something about being outside, 'on the go' instead of inside a warm, comfortable and inviting shop makes the customers stingy. The customers that are used to the flagship store are used to getting their no-whip soy-lattes, and aren't too pleased when they find out the owners weren't willing to risk putting a super-automatic out on the street (too much liability); so only black coffee for them. At least she doesn't have to make people wait five minutes while she makes a special bar drink. But then half of them come back and complain about the quality of the donuts; tough little rings that come out frozen and are reheated in a microwave below the counter. Another sacrifice of the location. As if the customer complaints weren't enough, she had her bike stolen last week... again... because there's no safe place to lock it up. Now she keeps it out front of the store so she can keep an eye on it, and hopes her supervisor doesn't stop by and ask about it. All this and she's required to keep the most obnoxious smile on her face the whole time.

This morning was pretty usual unfortunately. That guy that works in the financial building two blocks over is back; the one with the beard; the creepy one that makes her spin tingle. He's the only one that always stays to eat, and tries to make awkward conversation with her when she's busy. A weird combination of pompus arrogance and timid 'I'm going to kill you some day' vibes. Yes, he's here as usual, breakfast and lunch. The city never emptied the transh can last night so the whole place smells of rotting garbage, and the complaints are going up already. Even the city worker noticed, and he never says anything. Then a woman stopped by yapping on her cell phone, and only stopped long enough to hand her a $100 bill, expecting her to break it for her $5.00 breakfast. She didn't even ask; just handed her the bill and assumed it was OK that a street vender was going to be able to change that, and hold onto it all day until after closing when she could finally get it safely to the bank. That's when the stray dog came around, pulling over tables, eating out of the garbage, attacking the customers and trying to get behind the counter to root around in the stocks.

Tomorrow, she's just hoping the new job her brother-in-law told her to apply for comes through with an offer. The she can just dismiss this part of her life as 'bean there, donut that'.

Ha, your story made my day, thanks.

Seriously though, why can't we get other denominations of bills than 100? We have 10, 20, 30 and 40 coins after all.

SprinkleOttersid3windrkiki180703Astrobricks
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 272
    SumoLego said:
    I find the complete lack of sausages disturbing.
    There appears to be the infamous trash banana though.
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,049
    Looks like @Bobkov is after the caption crown currently held by @BooTheMightyHamster
    BooTheMightyHamsterJern92Baby_Yodasnowhitiestlux
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 146
    Bobkov said:
    Initially I figured the name of the set was just the creative name of the shop. But after examining the picture for a while, I realize it is simply commentary on this moment in the life of the barista.

Like many of us, she just needed a job to pay her rent; she loves coffee, eats an occasional donut, so why not get a job at the city's most popular morning eating establishment? She probably even has a friend that works there who told her how much fun it is and how generous the tipping is.

This scene is just a day of her unfortunate reality. Instead of the plush position in the flagship store, the owners decided they needed to staff their outdoor street location, and since she was the new girl, she got the job. Each morning she gets up at 4:30 am, bikes 30 minutes to the west side and opens the 'shop' in all kinds of inclimate weather. She works the store alone, so she has to open, prep, serve, clean, restock, deal with complaints, cash out, and close. 
    Her friends make twice as much in tips than she does; something about being outside, 'on the go' instead of inside a warm, comfortable and inviting shop makes the customers stingy. The customers that are used to the flagship store are used to getting their no-whip soy-lattes, and aren't too pleased when they find out the owners weren't willing to risk putting a super-automatic out on the street (too much liability); so only black coffee for them. At least she doesn't have to make people wait five minutes while she makes a special bar drink. But then half of them come back and complain about the quality of the donuts; tough little rings that come out frozen and are reheated in a microwave below the counter. Another sacrifice of the location. As if the customer complaints weren't enough, she had her bike stolen last week... again... because there's no safe place to lock it up. Now she keeps it out front of the store so she can keep an eye on it, and hopes her supervisor doesn't stop by and ask about it. All this and she's required to keep the most obnoxious smile on her face the whole time.

This morning was pretty usual unfortunately. That guy that works in the financial building two blocks over is back; the one with the beard; the creepy one that makes her spin tingle. He's the only one that always stays to eat, and tries to make awkward conversation with her when she's busy. A weird combination of pompus arrogance and timid 'I'm going to kill you some day' vibes. Yes, he's here as usual, breakfast and lunch. The city never emptied the transh can last night so the whole place smells of rotting garbage, and the complaints are going up already. Even the city worker noticed, and he never says anything. Then a woman stopped by yapping on her cell phone, and only stopped long enough to hand her a $100 bill, expecting her to break it for her $5.00 breakfast. She didn't even ask; just handed her the bill and assumed it was OK that a street vender was going to be able to change that, and hold onto it all day until after closing when she could finally get it safely to the bank. That's when the stray dog came around, pulling over tables, eating out of the garbage, attacking the customers and trying to get behind the counter to root around in the stocks.

Tomorrow, she's just hoping the new job her brother-in-law told her to apply for comes through with an offer. The she can just dismiss this part of her life as 'bean there, donut that'.
    Thank you for that. Now I have to buy this damn set so the poor girl doesn't end up on the streets
    sid3windrstluxToc13
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,212
    We're heading to New York in a couple of months.  Might see if I can bring a few of these back.
    FowlerBricksstlux
  • typotypo Member Posts: 181
    The set is so exclusive that it wasn't even on the shelf yet at my local Target. They had to get it from a backroom.
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 375
    ^^ Can I put down my name for one of the sets you bring back?
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 496
    edited September 13
    Cannot be found on brickseek by set number. Neat set, guessing/hoping it is 9.99 USD
    I had to look it up by searching "bean there" and it shows up at the top...with a Chima pic next to it lol.  Still none at my target :-(

Not a fan of that price though...
    SumoLegoSprinkleOtterkiki180703Pumpkin_3CK5madforLEGOstlux
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 9,705
    I think the person that entered that into Target's inventory system is a snarky AFOL.
    SprinkleOtterBaby_Yodasid3windrstlux
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 344
    If anyone could pick one up to send to Ireland, that would be appreciated!
  • PyrobugPyrobug Louisville, KyMember Posts: 27
    Brickseek shows stock at one store for me (90 miles away). I agree that $20 is a bit steep but not too bad for four figures, another dalmatian and all the other parts. I'll still grab one when i find it.
  • TeriXeriTeriXeri NederlandMember Posts: 3
    Would 100% buy this set if it were available in Europe.

• blade_guyblade_guy Member Posts: 176
    I hope it comes to England!!!!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 16,347
    Roll on the LEGO mobile phone shop. They could do ten different ones with different branding and release them all at the same time, they'd be ideal additions to City's high street.
    dmcc0
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,164
    CCC said:
    Roll on the LEGO mobile phone shop. They could do ten different ones with different branding and release them all at the same time, they'd be ideal additions to City's high street.
    But to do that they'd either have to license actual brands, or come out with their own brands. Given the near universal love that people have for cell-phone providers (at least in the US), licensing seems like a bad choice. Even the cloners that ignore IP laws are not making AT&T, Verizon, or Comcast stores.
    It went from out of stock to four stores around me having them in under 24hrs. I suspect that they are just starting to get the shipments in.
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 201
    I looked on Brickseek (all oos), but decided to try my local Target anyway (Downtown SF Metreon centre). The guy I asked said they had no stock, and there was nothing on the system to say they were getting any in. I wonder if that'll change?
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 Washington, USAMember Posts: 1,020
    ^Of the 20 in my region, yesterday they all showed as OOS. Today, one is showing stock available. It's of course the furthest from me. I'll wait until the one a mile away has some!
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,276
    I don’t get the excitement over this set. Most of the pieces are common and you could probably build it from extra pieces, at least I could. 
    SumoLego
    ^I just want it for the tiny Target logo on the bottom left of the box. Once Target goes out of business in 48 years, I'll be sitting on tens of dollars in ROI. 

...and because of @bobkov 's story.
    SumoLegoBaby_YodaBumblepantsstluxsid3windrkiki180703PolyphemusToc13J0rgen
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO USMember Posts: 8,737
    PIcked one up at a Target, but had to ask for it. Also found the Potter poly at the Target after checking 3 Walmarts that did not have them (even though brickseek said all did)
    Was just at a Target by me, and they said the set was dated Sept 30th. Take that for what you will. They weren't sure if it was a delivery date, or put out date.
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 201
    After my previous post about not having any in SF, I checked Brickseek this morning, and there were a tonne of stores showing in stock. None in SF though, closest was Sacramento.

Which was fine as the other half and I had planned to drive up there today anyway.

Long story short, I now have two. :) As seems to be the case elsewhere, they were not on shelves, I had to ask a member of staff who got them from the back.

Mission accomplished! 
    omnium
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 178
    I checked my regular two Target stores in Dallas on Sunday and they didn't have any.  Staff were about as useless as always.  I did find Harry's Journey to Hogwarts finally. 
  • PyrobugPyrobug Louisville, KyMember Posts: 27
    I just got back from Target with two of them.
    It took about 20 minutes and me asking 3 different people for someone to know where to find them in the back. I've had employees get sets from the back before and never had so much trouble.
    I'm happy with the set. For me, it was quite enjoyable to put together for such a small set. My favorite parts are the figures, of course and getting so many printed cookie and pastry pieces, especially the pie slices which I haven't gotten before.
  • Russell844Russell844 California, USAMember Posts: 1,659
    I got a couple today in Pleasant Hill. Were on the shelf in two different places: about a dozen in the LEGO section and about a dozen on an end cap.
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 146
    We're heading to New York in a couple of months.  Might see if I can bring a few of these back.
    Boo, if they are not here by the time you go, if it's not too cheeky, would you have room for two more please? :)
  • Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 95
    colay said:
    Boo, if they are not here by the time you go, if it's not too cheeky, would you have room for two more please? :)
    You might just have opened the floodgates there! But ditto for me if you do!!
  • BobkovBobkov Member Posts: 28
    Good lord... it's worse than I thought. After reading the review on the front page, it appears the stray dog has cost the shop hundreds of dollars in damages, and likely the barista's job! Also, sleepy barista? That lines up well. Never met a barista that didn't need a shot an hour just to stay awake.
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 260
    Was able to grab one today. Had to ask for it as it hadn’t been put out yet. Seems to be a trend. 
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 183
    I got one from Schaumburg Illinois Target
    gmonkey76
    An updated search of Brickseek shows all 20 local Targets with available stock in my area. My guess is for those who have yet to see them that they'll be arriving any day. 
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 345
    If they're dated September 30th, which is a Sunday, when the weekly ads come out... perhaps it's meant for a Gift With Purchase?
    Bumblepants
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,369
    edited September 18
    I looked at two targets that brickseek said had them Sunday and yesterday and didn’t see them on the shelves. I would have asked, but frankly I’m not super interested.