Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO City Table Height

I'm moving into a new home, and I'll finally have a basement to build my own LEGO city. I've already decided my platform will be a 4'x8' sheet of 3/8" plywood, and I have 4x4s for the legs, but I'm not sure how tall to make the table. I'm 5'9" for reference. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
madforLEGOOnebricktoomanyFowlerBrickskiki180703

Comments

• HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,308
    Kitchen worktop height. Much easier to work at than table height. 
    beardandthebrickgmonkey76Onebricktoomanykiki180703
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,341
    From experience if you are going to use 3/8" plywood, make sure it's not warped and have more than 4 legs as Lego is a lot heavier than you think when your city gets larger. 
    beardandthebrickgmonkey76Onebricktoomanykiki180703
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,381
    Don't forget to leave room all the way around so you can reach everything. The closest I have to a city platform is a kid's train table, but that's so my grandson can reach it too. 
    beardandthebrickmadforLEGOgmonkey76Onebricktoomanykiki180703
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 1,986
    I’d use a frame of 2x4s on edge to make sure the table doesn’t sag. Put it together with carriage bolts so you can easily disassemble it if needed.
    gmonkey76Onebricktoomany
  • Speedman29Speedman29 Brickswell CloseMember Posts: 1,159
    I used a bolt together metal garage storage racking system. Its supposed to be built so it stands 6ft tall, with the uprights made from 2 of the right angle sections bolted with an overlap. However if you just use one section it comes up at about kitchen worktop height (around 1m) and has three shelves that sit below. I bolted two of these sections back to back to give a flat table top that a sheet of ply and MDF could be fixed to to give me 4½ 32x32 by 3 32x32 baseplate top.

oldtodd33ReesesPieces
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 235
    Display tables should be low so you can see everything. Workbenches should be high so you don't have to bend over them to work. Buy some adjustable legs (like Ikea Skarstra) and you won't have to limit yourself to just one height.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,325
    ^Or make one side higher than the other so you have a workbench height and a display height. 

Don't worry about the severe slope. You can just make it a part of the story of your city. Volatile tectonic plates and all.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,118
    My benchwork is 36.5 inches high, and 36 inches deep.  I find it to be just deep enough, but also low enough to build on the surface.  And you can fit the largest boxes if you make a shelf.

pxchrishleonffukiki180703
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,341
    @SumoLego ; It's not good storing your fragiles upside down. Hopefully you ate your dinner first before snacking on the candy bars. Sorry, that's all I could find. What's the charger for? 
    SumoLego
    It's actually a pretty old picture - that's Peyton Manning playing for the Broncos in the reflection.

The charger goes to the LED light box that goes with the light diffuser/umbrella thingy and tripod.
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,682
    And a whole glass of vodka, I see...
    edited September 2018
    On the rocks!

(I actually prefer gin.)
    SprinkleOtter
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,388
    edited September 2018
    I'm just jealous of the BNSF locomotive. And maybe the drink too...
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 964
    I see the police department are yet to deal with the Hulk problem on the Green Grocer from last time...
    SprinkleOtter
    I'm just jealous of the BNSF locomotive. And maybe the drink too...
    Sadly, nothing to be jealous of.  Just water.
    SprinkleOtter
  • RoobotRoobot USAMember Posts: 20
    I think standard table height is good.  As mentioned, it lets you see the city better, which might be especially important for kids.  I’m using IKEA Melltorp tables.

Another thing to keep in mind is how far you need to reach over the table to work on things.  I really have my space maximized so I have small holes in the center of the large layout and it’s important I can reach all areas from either an edge or one of the holes.  Counter height tables would make this a bit harder because you couldn’t reach over quite as far.
  • nmualumninmualumni Michigan, USAMember Posts: 42
    I took cues from some items I read on model railroad forums and made my table higher than "table top" height, actually about 52". Rational for it was it seems more realistic to not be looking down so much at the city. For many my table height is not far below eye level. That way you are looking right at the buildings and it makes it look more like we see things in the real world. Of course I am 78" tall, so I can still see and reach all areas of the table.
    You'll need a stepstool and a regiment of core exercises to strengthen your back muscles!
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 707
    I used a bolt together metal garage storage racking system. Its supposed to be built so it stands 6ft tall, with the uprights made from 2 of the right angle sections bolted with an overlap. However if you just use one section it comes up at about kitchen worktop height (around 1m) and has three shelves that sit below. I bolted two of these sections back to back to give a flat table top that a sheet of ply and MDF could be fixed to to give me 4½ 32x32 by 3 32x32 baseplate top.

I use this type of shelf as well.  It is a good height when set up side as halves and is pretty sturdy.  If you have underwater sets, you can use the bottom shelves for that...or just storage.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,176
    I use that too. sturdy, lots of surface to put your sets and cheap. also I run wires through the holes to pose flying sets.
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 284
    Finally measured Brickadelphia. The top surface of the plywood sheets is 31' 3/4" high. Its about 4 inches below my belt buckle. I mention that because @beardandthebrick said he's 5'9"; I'm 5'8". Its a really good height for me to work with and not too tall for when my friends/coworkers bring their kids.